cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rules coming for online sellers

When a bipartisan group of U.S. Senators introduced The Integrity, Notification, and Fairness in Online Retail Marketplaces for Consumers  Act at the end of March 2021, it was well received as an effort to address the growing problem of illicit goods sold online. In its current form, however, provisions in the INFORM Consumers Act would disproportionately harm women, as they make up a significant proportion of individuals who own online stores and earn income on third-party platforms.

Under the INFORM Consumers Act, a third-party vendor would be classified as a high-volume seller if they "entered into 200 more…sales or transactions" in a twelve-month period on eCommerce sites such as Etsy, Amazon, or eBay. Once classified as a high-volume seller, sellers would be forced to provide consumers with their full name, business address, information as to whether the vendor manufactures, imports, or resells products. Additionally, vendors would be forced to provide the online eCommerce platform with verified bank account information, a government-issued photo I.D., a government-issued record verifying business information, and a business tax identification number. This information must be provided within two business days.

Failure to provide this information in the required timeframe would force eCommerce platforms to suspend stores, preventing them from making sales and earning additional income. The suspension would only be lifted once the owner provides the required information.

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: New rules coming for online sellers

Funny amazon would be opposed.  When I signed up for a seller account there for their handmade section I had to provide quite a few things including a picture of my studio and work space.  Funny previous to this Amazon sellers were using me as a drop shipper and causing a lot of problems by pricing my products double what I was selling them for.  Those sellers had to provide Amazon with UPC's to create such listings.  They gave them fake UPC's and presented themselves as the manufacturer.  They were from all over the world.  I don't even like to purchase on ebay because of late everyone I come across has a fake listing, fake tracking and just sources products via amazon prime.  The people who cheat will find a solution around this.  Oh and I totally agree this will open the door to home invasions.  All a thief has to do is browse the site by location and they can even get a good idea of your neighborhood via google maps and real estate sites like neighborhood scout(if I'm remembering the right name).  Some sellers have a lot of valuables listed.  The novice well to do seller is going to have their home in their pictures as they list certain items that are going to alert a would be thief of a possible spot. He doesn't have to research you or order something to get your address.  All he has to do is read your description. He can study your listing habits to see when you're active. Plus 1000 other possible nightmares.  

Message 46 of 58
latest reply

On ebay.uk, I am pretty sure that the seller must provide the information. Name, address, email. I don't have any problem with providing that info but I can see ebay.com and ebay.ca having issues with it because of selling outside of ebay.  But if ebay.uk is having an issue, I guess it is alright. 

Message 47 of 58
latest reply

@bbravo65 wrote:

...better rent a Postal Office Box (P.O. Box)...

That is a good idea.

Message 48 of 58
latest reply

Has anyone considered how difficult it would be to get a local DBA certificate?   I remember years ago my brother got hassled by Ebay because he started selling for a jewelry store.  They wanted things like that.  Well I can't remember if it is for used goods or just reselling about there is a limited amount of licenses available locally.  You're potentially talking about dozens if not hundreds of people in a town or small city applying for various licenses.  I can't see that happening.  Also what exactly is a manufacturer?   to me those etsy people who sew things on if you will and make crafts are not exactly manufacturing.  They're more or less assembling.  I even do some of that but will create from raw materials(chemicals).  I think with most it's a mixture.  Someone said it doesn't apply to used but why then are we getting taxed on used stuff?   To me it's all about a money grab by those greedy you know whats in Washington.  some people sell vintage NOS.  Just because something is still in the packaging doesn't mean it's not USED.  There are plenty of collectors who display these things and show them off. It all sounds like another mess to kill the economy.  I think that's their plan. Those in Washington work for big corporations not the little guy.  They all should be tried for treason.  

Message 49 of 58
latest reply

I'm no lawyer o I don't know all the regulations of my state but doesn't this sort of thing open the door to your state looking more closely at your business and potentially regulating you in some way?   I'm in MA.  I guarantee they're one of the worst for regulations.  If you start declaring yourself a manufacturer or something does osha show up at your door?  I see a corporate powerplay to squeeze the little guy out.  Lot of people selling on ebay for are just flipping things they buy new from dollar stores,  walmart etc.  I think the only reason amazon doesn't like it is they know they have plenty of willing con artists to create fake dropship businesses which make them gazillions.  Politicians are not known for original ideas, they're known for paybacks/favors.  Maybe the answer lies with who hates amazon.  I know I do but who hates them who is losing money from their non employee business model?  Walmart?  They've been inviting drop shippers since around 2008/2009 I think.   Who knows maybe the answer is found on the Open Secrets website.  Look up the sponsors of the bill and then who their donors are.  

Message 50 of 58
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

I never understood why anyone would sell on Amazon when they are competing against you .... makes no sense to me. That is why I refuse to sell or buy there. Nt giving Bozo a dime of my money.

Sell on every venue you can, maximize profits. Stick to one venue, and bawl like a baby over every change, and eliminate part of your profits.

Really though, you need to crawl back under your bridge.

Message 51 of 58
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@halls_toybox wrote:

If you've signed up for eBay payments don't they already have your bank info and tax/social?

Yea, but they do not have a government-issued photo I.D. or a government-issued record verifying business information. 

How many people who sell on eBay have a Business License?

Probably more than you would think 

Message 52 of 58
latest reply

they couldn't care less about their sellers privacy or personal information.

Remind you of anyone? 

@theanswerreturns wrote:

@alcoforever wrote:

Amazon has already written a letter opposing the bill.

I find that a little hard to believe considering Amazon already post sellers names and addresses on their profile page.  They've basically already got a head start on this.  If they are against it it's only because it would possibly cost them money to keep up with, they couldn't care less about their sellers privacy or personal information.

Message 53 of 58
latest reply

@lot4best wrote:

what about those based in China? 

Protected Species 

You bet...ebay allows them to break all the rules because they make so much money from them.

ckimodog_0-1621782586243.png

Message 54 of 58
latest reply

LOL! Thanks for making me laugh!! 😂

Message 55 of 58
latest reply

It does say exceptions are if you use personal home addresses and phone numbers marketplaces can make that info unavailable 

Message 56 of 58
latest reply

I will tell you this.  I know they want to put a one size fits all legislation to aim at businesses, but  no one in govt. has taken the time to separate the way business is done, the size, used items, etc.  I refused to have them profit off of me even more for things they shouldn't.  I can only conclude that they don't care and want to squeeze money from anyone any way possible.  It's obvious they don't care about the low level sellers or little guys.

My Ebay or online days of selling are numbered.  If they don't clear up this mess and stop double taxation on used items that were paid when originally purchased, I am gone.  In MA can't even sell for a year more than 600 without a stupid 1099 for used items, most I have already paid taxes for ages ago way more then any money I am getting back.  Now they expect more regs, ids..etc.

Forget it.  I have already informed many of my fellow sellers of the potential problems.  They are haulting there selling too. 

Message 57 of 58
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

For those entertaining the little green men conspiracy, you may wish to consider opening an LLC.

Message 58 of 58
latest reply