cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "Duplicate listings policy" -- HORRIBLE AND INSANE.

I list generally low-value antique records.

I keep several thousand in stock.

Ebay's new policy is that if I accidentally list a duplicate of any one of these thousands of items -- used items, which are NOT identical -- my account gets restricted for 3 days. ALL of my listings get hidden. And eBay still keeps all the fees.

That is INSANE. OOps, I accidentally double-listed a $3.99 Benny Goodman record -- they're in totally different condition, but oh well, now I get no sales for days and treated like a criminal.

OUTRAGEOUS.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: New "Duplicate listings policy" -- HORRIBLE AND INSANE.

@greenriverrecords wrote:

Ebay's new policy is that if I accidentally list a duplicate of any one of these thousands of items -- used items, which are NOT identical -- my account gets restricted for 3 days. ALL of my listings get hidden. And eBay still keeps all the fees.

That is INSANE. OOps, I accidentally double-listed a $3.99 Benny Goodman record -- they're in totally different condition, but oh well, now I get no sales for days and treated like a criminal.

OUTRAGEOUS.

I have purchased many records from you and your dad over the decades, both on and off eBay back when you used to run "paper auctions" as anything not eBay was called.

How can two copies of the same record in different condition possibly be a duplicate listing? Yet we see vendors from China lock up page after page after page in some categories of the same item but a different color or price using the same picture!

@Anonymous

@brian@ebay

This seller is a great seller. Can someone help him straighten out this unnecessary mess? 

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Wowww, thanks so much for the support and kind words!

I actually called eBay to formally register a complaint. This policy is absolutely outlandish, so incredibly short-sighted. I don't sell commercially made goods. They're antiques. How can they be identical?

They heard me out and basically agreed with me the whole way. Not that I have much hope anything will change unless a lot of other sellers are complaining too.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Not that I have much hope anything will change ..

The "takedowns" are done by a bot.  When selling on ebay you have to think like those that know how to work the system.  I seriously doubt ebay has a bot that scans pics for duplicates, since they like it when everyone uses the same photo...think catalog/product page.  So you have to "play with" your titles a bit to make them different,  have a price a few pennies lower or higher,  a nonsense code in the title to suggest condition, etc.  to avoid the monster robot.  

An example:  I wanted to buy a specific contemporary item.  I did a search, got sent to a product page where there were five listed with "see more".  All of them, even the "see more",  were from the same seller. Listings were different simply because the price was $13.21, 14.40, 13.39, 12.55....yada yada. That particular seller (though he/she sold alot of items) only racked up 300 or so red donuts a month.  That seller was my only choice presented to me as a buyer on ebay.   I bought it elsewhere and for less. 

That seller did NOT get takedowns for duplicate items even though they had ten listings for the same thing with the same photo.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If you have multiples of the same item, just list with 2 different lot numbers - or 2 different descriptions of condition. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I agree.

Its fine for new items, but when you sell used items in all different conditions.

You might have 5 of the same item, but each one is in a different condition and they want us to put all 5 in the same listing and describe each piece and provide enough images of each item.

To me, that should be 5 different listings, but not according to Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@greenriverrecords wrote:

OUTRAGEOUS.

Hi @greenriverrecords, we definitely understand that accidents happen, which is why we do not restrict an account the first time policy isn't followed. If this is the first time you've have a listing removed for a duplicate listing then there shouldn't be a restriction. The email we sent provides actions that may occur upon future violates of this policy, such as a 3-day restriction.

If you have two identical items that have different conditions and/or specifications, those differences must be clearly reflected in the price, description, and image of the listing. If two listings are identical and do not reflect any difference at all, then they are duplicate listings and will be action will be taken accordingly. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Ebays silly BOT looks at the title for a duplicate listing.  Best way to get away from duplicate listings is to put some identifier in your title.  I sell a lot of laptops that are identical in every way except condition.  So in the title put something like (3ef)  on the second one put (4ef)  If the title is different by a character they wont get flagged by the silly bot.  I personaly use the () info as a shelf location in my warehouse for the item.  Makes finding it easy after the sale.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I use variations. I sell sewing patterns, and may have identical ones, except for the condition.

I could have 2 of the same pattern, but one is uncut, and one is cutout. I would use a variation listing, as pattern #1 Uncut, and #2 cutout.

Pricing is different based on condition as well, so #1 is Uncut and $9.99 and #2 is cutout and $5.99...

Note: Variation listings are not available in all categories...

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I have mistakenly attempted to list the same item twice but I got a warning before listing the item and was able to back out of the listing and avoid any violation. So at least Ebay is being proactive and trying to keep sellers out of trouble. 

When I do have multiple used listings of the same item I just list as  "widget #1" and "widget#2"

Seems to work fine

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

I agree.

Its fine for new items, but when you sell used items in all different conditions.

You might have 5 of the same item, but each one is in a different condition and they want us to put all 5 in the same listing and describe each piece and provide enough images of each item.

To me, that should be 5 different listings, but not according to Ebay.

If I'm doing a used item with multiple quantities, I'll usually take the photos of the one in the worst condition, then send them out in descending order of condition - so the first one sent out is in the best condition. That way a buyer can be surprised by the condition, rather than disappointed. It works for what I sell, but there of course are items that it would not work for and yeah, you've gotta change either something in the title or just alter the price slightly.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I agree this method does work! I have used #1, #2, #3 ,etc, varied the title a bit, assigned a specific first photo for each item, provided the description accordingly and have never had issues

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

As others have said you just need to add something to the title. I do mostly postcards and the title and description can be the same ( how many ways can you say Santa with toys) but I have a code on each that tells me where it is and I put that in the title  --- Santa with toy christmas postcard  AH100-- but # 1 and 2 work too

Message 13 of 13
latest reply