cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Listing Quality Report

Does anyone else here have the new Listings Quality Report that Harry Temkin demoed in the December Seller Check In yet?  It is being rolled out this month and would be under Performance>Traffic in Seller Hub.

I originally had high hopes for this new feature but after digging into it for a few days I'm fairly disappointed.

I'll start with the instructions screen for this report for those who haven't seen it yet.

ListingReport-Instructions.jpg

The first issue for me is that the report says we have 0% MPN filled in for our listings.  In our categories, the field is called Manufacturer Part Number. It's a required field and 100% of our listings have that IS filled in.

Is this just a data mapping issue? Are other parts of our business being hurt because eBay doesn't have this field standardized across all categories?  Should I create a custom IS, name it "MPN", and fill in redundant information just to make this report happy and if so, will it have any other effect positive or negative on our listings?

ListingReport-1.jpg

The description of the "opportunity" marks says they are simply measuring the difference between the top 10% and bottom 10% of listings.  All that means is there is a difference, not necessarily that the difference has any particular meaning or relevance or that making eBay's suggested "improvements" will have any positive result. 

The big red box may be meant to trigger sellers into thinking this is a critical issue on their account, but if you look at the sales conversion section it is pretty clear that Free Returns isn't driving sales conversion for the bottom 10% using it more than the top 10%.

eBay seems to be trying to give the impression that offering Free Returns will result in more page views, but again because all they are doing is highlighting a difference, there is simply no data here to actually identify *if* that difference is the cause of higher click through rates or just a coincidence. 

In fact, this report shows that for this category, our sales rank is 2 out of 4,931 sellers, *if* that is accurate it would seem not having Seller Paid Returns isn't really hurting us too badly. 

ListingReport-4.jpg

This report also seems to think we have 0% Promoted Listings enabled when in fact 100% of our listings are in active Promoted Listings campaigns.

ListingReport-2.jpg

I'm not even sure how to interpret the data about Google Shopping.  It says Google Shopping Applies 0%, but then further down where it shows individual listings, every line has a check mark which one might think would indicate a "positive" or "yes" that Google Shopping applied.  Maybe the check mark just means the listing is eligible for Google Shopping and the 0% section shows how many were actually sent to Google? I don't know, and there is nothing in the instructions or report that clarifies this.

Also, the instructions and Harry Temkin's video both say if you have listings that are rejected for Google Shopping, it will show a separate tab in the spread sheet so you can address any issues causing rejection.  I do *not* have that tab, so I would have to assume none of our listings are rejected.

ListingReport-3.jpg

With multiple data points which are obviously not accurate, it causes me to question the validity and accuracy of the entire report and renders it pretty much useless to me.

On top of that, some of the elements of this report seem to be designed to nudge sellers to take action that eBay wants them to take by making it look like a critical issue to be addressed, when in reality there is no data here to show that making those suggested "improvements" will have a positive effect on your account.

Bottom line for me, at a minimum this report is not ready for Prime Time and should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else who has access to this feature is seeing similar issues.

Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: New Listing Quality Report

@valueaddedresource 

Is it possible to edit the listings that supposedly don't have a UPCs by deleting what is in the field and then fill it back in?  I don't know if it would do any good, but if it's not to big of a hassle it might be worth the test to see if anything changes on the report.

Message 46 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

Is it possible to edit the listings that supposedly don't have a UPCs by deleting what is in the field and then fill it back in?  I don't know if it would do any good, but if it's not to big of a hassle it might be worth the test to see if anything changes on the report.

@mcdougle4248   I think I have some "proof" of it being that some items may not be considered if they are in the GTC relist window.

Comparing the report from 1/9 to 1/10.

1/9 says I have 59% with UPC and lists 58 listing in the bottom section that it recommends adding MPN to (24 of those it also recommends adding UPC)

1/10 says I have 56% with UPC and lists 55 listings in the bottom section that it recommends adding MPN (still 24 also recommend adding UPC)

I compared the two bottom sections and these are the 3 that are in 1/9 but not in 1/10

UPC.jpg

All 3 would have been in that relist time window at the time of the 1/10 report.

Message 47 of 86
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

@mcdougle4248   I think I have some "proof" of it being that some items may not be considered if they are in the GTC relist window.

1/9 says I have 59% with UPC and lists 58 listing in the bottom section that it recommends adding MPN to (24 of those it also recommends adding UPC)

1/10 says I have 56% with UPC and lists 55 listings in the bottom section that it recommends adding MPN (still 24 also recommend adding UPC)

I compared the two bottom sections and these are the 3 that are in 1/9 but not in 1/10

UPC.jpg

All 3 would have been in that relist time window at the time of the 1/10 report.

That is interesting.  Would be nice if you could get confirmation on you theory, 🙄 but it does not look like anyone from eBay is busting butt to get to your thread.

Message 48 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

UPC.jpg

That is interesting.  Would be nice if you could get confirmation on you theory, 🙄 but it does not look like anyone from eBay is busting butt to get to your thread.

@mcdougle4248  I guess I'll have to see if we can get some answers in the chat tomorrow.

Message 49 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 as far as confirmation goes, I think the best we are going to get for now is to do the math.  🤣 

24 out of 58 listings would be 59%.  24 out of 55 listings would be 56%.

In both reports, the number of listings shown in the summary that it was suggesting needed UPC stayed the same at 24.

Sherlock Holmes would say if that variable stayed constant, the only way you explain the difference in percent is that the other variable changed, and that must mean the number of listings in the bottom section for a category is the total number of listings being used to calculate the percentages in the top at the time of the "snap shot" for that particular report.

But then of course Dr. Watson would have to burst his bubble by reminding him of the Google Shopping, Markdown +sale, Order Discount, as well as other anomalies and that this is eBay after all, logic and common sense need not apply.

Message 50 of 86
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

You are much better at math than I 😁

Message 51 of 86
latest reply

Harry was on the podcast today talking about this.......you might make a comment at the end with a link to this thread.....

It is being rolled out a bit at a time so many of us still don't have it (including me).

podcast transcript is here:  and you can comment at the bottom

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Episode-122-January-Is-Reflect-and-Revie...

Message 52 of 86
latest reply

Thank you @dhbookds ! I hadn't had a chance to listen yet.  I appreciate it!

Message 53 of 86
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Harry was on the podcast today talking about this.......you might make a comment at the end with a link to this thread.....

It is being rolled out a bit at a time so many of us still don't have it (including me).

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Episode-122-January-Is-Reflect-and-Revie...

Thank you for the heads up.  I see @valueaddedresource  has already responded.

Message 54 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Thank you for the heads up.  I see @valueaddedresource  has already responded.

@mcdougle4248  don't let that stop you from sharing your thoughts too. 😊

Message 55 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248  the @podcast_team  says they will get this thread to Harry's team, so hopefully between that and some help from fellow seller @maxoptical in the chat today (thanks again!) we'll see some of these issues addressed sooner rather than later. 🤞

Message 56 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248  the @podcast_team  says they will get this thread to Harry's team, so hopefully between that and some help from fellow seller @maxoptical (thanks again!) we'll see some of these issues addressed sooner rather than later. 🤞

This is great news!  Thank for all your efforts with this.

My next experiment will be to see if the report will display any data on variation listings when those are the only listings available to analyze.  I should be able to start my experiment next Tuesday.

Message 57 of 86
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Sellers,

First, I would like to thank you for your important feedback, it is because of engaged sellers like you that help us to build a better selling experience on eBay.  

The Listing Quality Report (LQR) is part of our journey to provide better insights that are correlated with performance metrics.  This is the first version of the report, with many more updates to follow, and we have distributed it to a limited audience of sellers with the aim to learn, improve and adjust to your input and feedback.

Your detailed posts are highly valued and greatly appreciated.  The teams are already hard at work and you can review our plans related to each area of your feedback:

Issues (to be addressed in the next release):

1. Seller @valueaddedresource  - MPN issue for auto parts - We have confirmed the issue and identified the root cause, and we will have a fix in the next version.

2. Seller @valueaddedresource  - 14-day returns versus 30-day returns - We have confirmed the issue and will fix it so once a seller has a better return service we won't recommend a lower tier return service.  We will have a fix in the next version.

3. Seller @mcdougle4248  - Column Misalignment - We have reviewed the column misalignment (Best offer, Sale event + markdown) between the items table and the seller level benchmark, and will provide a fix in the next version.

Improvements (January - March):

1. LQR Data Update Frequency - The seller data (including Google Shopping data) takes approximately 48 hours to process. Our roadmap includes improving the process time.  It is important to note that in cases where the seller does not make any modifications to listings, but items have sold or ended, this will result in changes to the benchmark data.

1. Best Offer for Multi-Variations - The current version of the LQR report does not support multi-variation listings. Support for multi-variation listings is on the roadmap. Until supported, we will ensure multi-variation listings are excluded from all LQR calculations, and we will add better information about this on the instructions tab.  Seller @mcdougle4248  thank you for the feedback on this.

2. Google Shopping Insights - The following improvements will be implemented:

1. When Google Shopping rejects a listing, we will provide more detailed reasons to explain why the rejection occurred, and what actions are needed to resolve the issue. 
    2. In the case where all of your listings have been accepted by Google Shopping, the tab that shows listings “Rejected by Google” will still be visible, but contain a message indicating no listings have been rejected.

3. Free returns for low priced items - We recognize that in some cases free returns are not possible. The approach of the LQR is to show the characteristics of listings that are performing best with buyers by category and condition, and then highlight to sellers opportunities where their listings have not adopted those same characteristics.   

It is the seller's decision to act upon the opportunities that are presented. The roadmap includes adding price based opportunities, so sellers will be able to differentiate between 14/30 day returns on high priced listings vs no returns on low priced listings.

4. Seller @zamo-zuan   - Track impact on metrics - The current metrics measurements (Impressions, CTR, Conversion) are the average of the last 28 days. Our roadmap includes adding an historical one month look-back per each metric so sellers can see trends per item or benchmark. 

We are committed to continuing to improve this capability, and thank you again for your support and valuable feedback.

Regards,

Harry

Message 58 of 86
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Thank you very much for your detailed response to our feedback.  I am looking forward to the improvements coming in the next few months, especially regarding multi-variation listings and Google Shopping Insights.

Message 59 of 86
latest reply

I'll have some follow up thoughts here in a bit specific to the report but wanted first to say THANK YOU @Anonymous for showing up and taking the time to engage and address these issues! 👏👏👏

I originally had very high hopes for this report and I think it has the potential to be a great tool.  Thank you for taking our feedback and taking accountability for getting things ironed out.

This is exactly the kind of communication and partnership we need to see from eBay.  Keep it up!

Message 60 of 86
latest reply