cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Listing Quality Report

Does anyone else here have the new Listings Quality Report that Harry Temkin demoed in the December Seller Check In yet?  It is being rolled out this month and would be under Performance>Traffic in Seller Hub.

I originally had high hopes for this new feature but after digging into it for a few days I'm fairly disappointed.

I'll start with the instructions screen for this report for those who haven't seen it yet.

ListingReport-Instructions.jpg

The first issue for me is that the report says we have 0% MPN filled in for our listings.  In our categories, the field is called Manufacturer Part Number. It's a required field and 100% of our listings have that IS filled in.

Is this just a data mapping issue? Are other parts of our business being hurt because eBay doesn't have this field standardized across all categories?  Should I create a custom IS, name it "MPN", and fill in redundant information just to make this report happy and if so, will it have any other effect positive or negative on our listings?

ListingReport-1.jpg

The description of the "opportunity" marks says they are simply measuring the difference between the top 10% and bottom 10% of listings.  All that means is there is a difference, not necessarily that the difference has any particular meaning or relevance or that making eBay's suggested "improvements" will have any positive result. 

The big red box may be meant to trigger sellers into thinking this is a critical issue on their account, but if you look at the sales conversion section it is pretty clear that Free Returns isn't driving sales conversion for the bottom 10% using it more than the top 10%.

eBay seems to be trying to give the impression that offering Free Returns will result in more page views, but again because all they are doing is highlighting a difference, there is simply no data here to actually identify *if* that difference is the cause of higher click through rates or just a coincidence. 

In fact, this report shows that for this category, our sales rank is 2 out of 4,931 sellers, *if* that is accurate it would seem not having Seller Paid Returns isn't really hurting us too badly. 

ListingReport-4.jpg

This report also seems to think we have 0% Promoted Listings enabled when in fact 100% of our listings are in active Promoted Listings campaigns.

ListingReport-2.jpg

I'm not even sure how to interpret the data about Google Shopping.  It says Google Shopping Applies 0%, but then further down where it shows individual listings, every line has a check mark which one might think would indicate a "positive" or "yes" that Google Shopping applied.  Maybe the check mark just means the listing is eligible for Google Shopping and the 0% section shows how many were actually sent to Google? I don't know, and there is nothing in the instructions or report that clarifies this.

Also, the instructions and Harry Temkin's video both say if you have listings that are rejected for Google Shopping, it will show a separate tab in the spread sheet so you can address any issues causing rejection.  I do *not* have that tab, so I would have to assume none of our listings are rejected.

ListingReport-3.jpg

With multiple data points which are obviously not accurate, it causes me to question the validity and accuracy of the entire report and renders it pretty much useless to me.

On top of that, some of the elements of this report seem to be designed to nudge sellers to take action that eBay wants them to take by making it look like a critical issue to be addressed, when in reality there is no data here to show that making those suggested "improvements" will have a positive effect on your account.

Bottom line for me, at a minimum this report is not ready for Prime Time and should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else who has access to this feature is seeing similar issues.

Message 1 of 86
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@Anonymous  thanks again for taking the time to respond.  A couple points I'd like some clarification on and a few that were not mentioned in your response -

Column Misalignment - We have reviewed the column misalignment (Best offer, Sale event + markdown) between the items table and the seller level benchmark, and will provide a fix in the next version.

Can you expand on that a bit please? It sounds like you are saying this was just a formatting error where some of the columns were misaligned in the report between the top section (seller benchmark) and the bottom section (items table), and that is the reason the data doesn't match up in some cases.  I just want to clarify to make sure I'm understanding that issue correctly.

LQR Data Update Frequency - The seller data (including Google Shopping data) takes approximately 48 hours to process. Our roadmap includes improving the process time. It is important to note that in cases where the seller does not make any modifications to listings, but items have sold or ended, this will result in changes to the benchmark data.

1.  The report being lagged behind 48 hours is understandable if that is a limitation of Google Shopping data, but the wording on the report page needs to be made clearer. 

I know this may seem like a small thing grammatically but the report itself is updated once every day, not once every two days.  Maybe something like "this report is updated once a day and is based on listing status as of x date"? 

2. You addressed items sold or ended, but did not address items that are relisted.  GTC relists keep the same item number and on the seller side appear to be almost an instant process, but it seems that those listings may not always be picked up for this report if they are within the 24 hour re-indexing time.

More clarity on this and bringing more attention in the report to the fact that shifts in percentages may simply be due to a change in the number of listings being considered are needed.  Don't hide it in the fine print, it needs to be obvious if that is the reason for a change in the benchmark percentages.

Other points from previous posts in this thread that were not mentioned specifically in your reply:

Promoted Listings showing at 0% when it should be 100%.

Google Shopping showing at 0% when it should be something higher than that.

Are these also part of the column misalignment issue or something else?

I am noticing that MPN is starting to show something more than 0% so it does look like that is being addressed already, thanks!  However, the benchmark numbers are still not quite accurate (most are now in the 70-80% range when they should be 100%).

The listing section under MPN now leads me to have another question - what is the exact definition of "not provided?" 

The wording of "not provided" makes it sound like the seller has not provided that information.  However, we have provided Manufacturer Part Number for 100% of listings, so that can't be accurate.  We also have some listings that say "not provided" for Brand but if I look at the listing Brand is clearly filled in.

Does "not provided" mean that eBay simply couldn't extract or recognize that information from that particular listing at the time of that report?  If so, I would suggest different wording that makes it clearer that the issue is on eBay's side, not that the seller didn't provide the information in the listing.

Also there seems to be inconsistency now in the MPN field in that some listings just show a check mark (assuming that means "yes"?) and some will actually show the text/number filled in for that field.  Again, not sure if this is part of the misalignment issue, but if not, it should be consistent.  My vote would be to show the actual value filled in rather than a checkmark as I think that would be more useful information.

MPN-1.jpg

Hi @valueaddedresource , thanks for your follow up questions.  Let me break down some quick answers below:

Column Misalignment - we are on the same page here, it wasn't a formatting bug but mismatch of data. As I responded, it will be fixed very soon.

LQR Data Update Frequency: 

1. As for the wording, I fully agree with you and the wording will be improved, we’ll add it to the instructions tab, you should see it fixed soon.
  2. GTC items - We take a snapshot of your account once a day, so the GTC items should be included in the report.

Other concerns you asked about: 

• Promoted listing showing at 0% - there was a bug that was already fixed, you should see it properly in the next report you’ll download.
  • Google Shopping showing at 0% - we show the data we received from Google, and we are checking with them some suspected misalignments.
  • MPN starting to show more than 0% filled in - It took some time for the system to aggregate the data after the fix, the data should be accurate now.

Thank you again for your support and valuable feedback.  If you have any new issues to discuss, we recommend you start a new post to help keep new vs old issues separate.  

Regards,

Harry

View Best Answer in original post

Message 82 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

@valueaddedresource 

My report is now available and I downloaded it this morning. 

The report is suggesting the use of best offer as the "Opportunity" to improve impressions, view and sales.  Unfortunately, most of my listings are variation listings and therefore are not eligible to use best offer, so those variation listings are not detailed anywhere on the report.  Of the 15 listings that I have that are eligible to use best offer 14 are clearance items in my store and are marked down to a break even price.  So, enabling best offer on these listings does not make sense, unless I were to reduce the mark down percentage to allow room for best offer considerations.  Seems like busy work there.  The one other listing that is eligible for best offer use is a special order I made specifically for a buyer and is priced at our agreed upon amount.

As far a Google Shopping.  I am understanding my report to indicate 100% of the 15 listings on the report were accepted by Google Shopping.  I need to go back and watch Harry's demo again...didn't he say if listings were rejected by Google Shopping those listings would be called out specifically in the report?

Overall, I will say this report, for this this period, is of no use to me.  I would like to see the report applied to my variation listings as those are the listings that are my money makers.  If there are "Opportunities" to improve those listings, that would be the data that would interest me. 

new report.PNGreport 2.PNG

Message 2 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

As far a Google Shopping.  I am understanding my report to indicate 100% of the 15 listings on the report were accepted by Google Shopping.  I need to go back and watch Harry's demo again...didn't he say if listings were reject by Google Shopping those listings would be called out specifically in the report?

Thanks for sharing @mcdougle4248 ! Yes, in the video and also in the instructions for the report it does say if they were rejected they would be called out in a separate tab at the bottom of the worksheet.  Harry showed what that looks like at about the 30 minute mark.

I don't see that tab in my worksheet so I'm assuming I don't have any that were rejected.  But it does leave me wondering why it shows 0% but check marks for all individual listings.  It shows that way for all categories in the worksheet. Today is the 4th day I've pulled the report and that data has stayed the same.

It definitely has me wondering now if we are getting any Google Shopping exposure.  I'll dig into that a bit today and report back what I find.  Maybe the Manufacturer Part Number vs. MPN issue could be affecting that as well? But if so, I would think they would be "rejected" and thus appear in a separate tab?

Message 3 of 86
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

Thank you for the clarification on the Google Shopping question.  Do you know how often the report is updated?  

Message 4 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

Thank you for the clarification on the Google Shopping question.  Do you know how often the report is updated?  

@mcdougle4248  it looks like it's updated every 2 days and is lagged 2 days behind? 

Screenshot 2021-01-08 094013.jpg

Message 5 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248  are any of your 15 listings in Promoted Listings and if so, does it accurately show that in the report?

You said they are marked down as well, if they are using either an order discount or sale event + markdown, does that accurately show in the report?

ListingsReport-5.jpg

Message 6 of 86
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

Promoted listings enabled is correct, 1 listing of the 15 is not promoted = 93%.  Order discount is incorrect, that should be 0%.  Multi-buy is correct.  Sale event + markdown is also incorrect, 1 of 15 is not marked down, so should be 93%.

report 3.PNG

Message 7 of 86
latest reply

Thanks @mcdougle4248 ! 

There's a "share feedback on this report" link under the download button.  I have already given them mine. 😉

Hopefully they can get this dialed in before it gets rolled out completely.  I was very hopeful this new report would be a big improvement over the "revise underperforming listings" feature, but so far there is really nothing usable in this new report for me.

Message 8 of 86
latest reply

Thanks @mcdougle4248 ! 

There's a "share feedback on this report" link under the download button.  I have already given them mine. 😉

Hopefully they can get this dialed in before it gets rolled out completely.  I was very hopeful this new report would be a big improvement over the "revise underperforming listings" feature, but so far there is really nothing usable in this new report for me.

I did see the share feedback link and will give them mine, too.  I agree with you in that if we are able to pin point inaccurate data quickly on the report, it does lend to the conclusion of the the report as a whole being inaccurate and therefore useless.

I am going to run a little test with the report.  I am going to end all of the 50% off markdowns.  Restart them at 25% off and add best offer (best offer is my "Opportunity").  The report is supposed to update tonight (I think?), so I want to see if anything changes.

Message 9 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248  that's a great idea.  Definitely interested to see the results.

I've spot checked a couple of items at random and found the listings *are* showing in Google Shopping as of today.  I'll see if that 0% changes when the report updates to reflect today's info.

Message 10 of 86
latest reply

For us, this feature isn't showing any of our Motors categories, so that's not too useful for us.

The categories it does show... I'm not sure I can trust it. It's saying we're #1 in a side category that we put very little effort in and isn't the greatest seller. 

I completely agree about Free Returns, I've found that it varies by category, and in our category it helps sometimes and hurts other times. We keep it on just to try to be "safe". But I have been reporting to eBay since 2018 that they keep giving advice that it *will help you* and it often hurts. 

The MPN issue you mention should be unacceptable as the eBay API even mentions that some categories use MPN some use Manufacturer Part Number, and they are the same field. 

I gave them feedback that only showing top/bottom 10% isn't too useful as sellers need to be able to monitor listings to diagnose problems. To see if their changes are moving their listings up or down, and what the common denominators are on the listings that are moving. Those are the things that dictate your marketing strategies the most. 

Bottom line for me, at a minimum this report is not ready for Prime Time and should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt.

It makes me sad to say, but honestly, this could be said for a lot of the Sellers Hub statistics. Especially the "important" ones. Just look at the discrepancies on Service Metrics/Peers/etc, which are used for penalties, and still show inconsistent data. Or the incorrect messages that pop up about sales numbers, impressions, active listings, etc. Or items that continuously pop up on "Eligible for Top Rated" - saying "Requires free return policy" on items that already have a free returns policy.

If the highest priority features that literally cost sellers money don't have consistent data, that means all the other data is questionable as well.

Sadly, these bugs/glitches have become the norm and have not been fixed for 3 years now. There's a lot of potential with these features, they simply don't work as intended and often times never get fixed. Hoping they actually improve this one to be useful and provide actionable information that assists sellers. 

Message 11 of 86
latest reply

Thanks @zamo-zuan  .  Yeah we tested out Free Returns for a while.  The result was a very large increase in remorse returns for lower dollar items, not at all helpful or sustainable for us long term so we turned it off.

eBay can provide all the reports and suggestions they want but $ talks and that is not an experiment we're going to try again any time soon. ‌‌

Everything else in the report basically matches up to all of the suggestions/"best practices" eBay has already been pushing for a long time.  Free Shipping, Free Returns, Promoted Listings, Best Offer, fill in all IS, multiple pictures, etc. 

There's really no new advice here, it almost seems like the report is just there to re-enforce existing messaging about what eBay wants us to do, which would be OK I guess if the data in the report was accurate and actually showed real correlation between the advice and the "opportunity".

It's likely sellers are either going to follow the existing advice already or they already aren't for their own reasons, and this report probably isn't going to change that.

Message 12 of 86
latest reply

Everything else in the report basically matches up to all of the suggestions/"best practices" eBay has already been pushing for a long time.  Free Shipping, Free Returns, Promoted Listings, Best Offer, fill in all IS, multiple pictures, etc. 

Except they're giving a bit of evidence that following their best practices often times does NOT help, lol. 

It has potential if the information given was actionable, and you could track the improvements on your items by said actions. But when they're only showing the top/bot 10% and you can't really monitor the improvements on the items you update, it doesn't achieve this. 

Message 13 of 86
latest reply

I went back and watched the part about Google Shopping rejections in that video again.

listingreport-GS.jpg

The fact that incorrect MPN may be one reason for rejection definitely makes me think the MPN/Manufacturer Part Number issues in my report could be why it isn't recognizing Google Shopping.

At least in a real world test, it does look like at least some our listings are on Google Shopping, so that's a relief, but it definitely doesn't give me confidence in this report.

Also, I thought the minimum picture size for eBay was 500x500, so I'm not sure how or why it should even be an issue to have something rejected from Google because the picture wasn't at least 100X100?

And finally we have "other - this section will be filled on later versions of the excel file."  So they released this report with full knowledge there are other reasons for rejection from Google Shopping that they aren't accounting for here and thought it was acceptable to just say "we'll get to this later"?! 

Was there no point in this process where they thought it would be a good idea to test with live accounts to make sure data was accurate and actually *completely* cover Google Shopping rejection before rolling this out?

Message 14 of 86
latest reply

@mcdougle4248  that's a great idea.  Definitely interested to see the results.

I've spot checked a couple of items at random and found the listings *are* showing in Google Shopping as of today.  I'll see if that 0% changes when the report updates to reflect today's info.

Did your report update last night?  Mine did not.  

Message 15 of 86
latest reply