cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW eBay Guaranteed Delivery Thread

Its important. Its bound to drag exposure for regular listings down even further. Now that the TRS discount is slashed in half, its not worth having 1 day handling for many sellers (like myself) anymore. Not everyones orders go in bubble wrappers and small boxs. Its just not worth it if your packing heavy or big, time consuming orders anymore. Dropping TRS and not opting into this new program thats horrible for average to medium sized sellers, will push listings further and further down the page for otherwise great sellers.

As the article im posting a link to at the bottom mentions, ebay does intend for us to pay for the shipping refund a buyer gets if their package is past the guaranteed date. Money will come from our pockets. So if your not big enough to absorb the losses, or sell items with many many multiples where its finacially worth it to do everything to stay on the top of the list. For the average seller of single item listings though, your getting the shaft. 

Ebays new changes make it so you have to jump through hoops to get the TRS exposure (because the discount is almost useless now). Take 30 day returns and ship next day for peanuts, but if you dont, exposure goes down. Now with this and the new promoted listings, you will have to pay ebay way more in for the listing, AND have to refund shipping (or take it back if they want) if it doesnt make it in 3 days. 

So, if we dont want to get buried by big business compitition, and continue to get the same exposure we get today, we would need to continue to jump through hoops for the now useless TRS Plus listing discounts, pay extra for promoted listings, and offer 3 day guaranteed delivery or the shippings free. Just to end up at the same exposure. As it sits now only bigger companies can afford to absorb all these expenses. Its just wrong.

Is this the new direction the new young CEO wants to go? Hes dong a major diservice to many of his best sellers. He seems to forget that unlike Amazon (Amazon Prime - which is what he is attempting to compete with), ebay doesnt have a warehouse full of employees to expidite shipping. Plus they dont own the merchandise, nor have 3rd party items in their possession. Its not their guarantee to make, and to then make US refund shipping if its a day past their made up date!? Ridiculous. 

Am I alone on this one?

Under the new eBay program, if a product doesn't arrive in the guaranteed time, both eBay and the seller will chip in to refund shipping costs. If an item was shipped for free, eBay and the seller will provide an eBay coupon, expected to be $5, Lawton said. Two-thirds of the products on eBay include free shipping, according to the company.

Message 1 of 156
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: NEW eBay Guaranteed Delivery Thread

I admit I did not read the entire original thread. I was reading it yesterday before blues came in and answered anything. When I came back today it was locked. The site I got that quote from is https://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-guaranteed-delivery-amazon-walmart-fast-shipping/

not sure how accurate it is or how old.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 32 of 156
latest reply
155 REPLIES 155

I suggest you c/p the answers in the closed post..  Some of the things you state are inaccurate because there are "caveats" as to when a seller has to pay.......etc.

More generally.........Ebay has always been the survival of the fittest.........as defined by how you can adjust your selling to the changes that are made (and will be made despite seller objections).......Some lose, some gain..........

The ultimate GOAL of the program is to attract more buyers............a goal which I would hope sellers would agree is worthy........altho I know there are those that fear to sell to 0 feedback buyers, even as they deplore the lack of buyers........  How the program will affect each of us as individuals is unknown.......but attracting more buyers, who may, initially only want "fast delivery" for some item,  could benefit those who don't offer "speed" on other items that the buyer doesn't want/need as fast...........just because the buyer has had a good experience and hangs around to shop for other stuff.......

jmo

Message 2 of 156
latest reply

huh?^^^^^?

this is plain and simple a plan to dump the small seller.

ding ding.

Message 3 of 156
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

huh?^^^^^?

ding ding.

Nah

its not a plan to.

its a bad, poorly thought out plan, it's not going to work but they're not trying to get rid of any seller.

IMHO that was the goal in the past but now they seem to be trying to attract buyers with non buying issues.

no seller is going to give their s*** away for free is the PO screws up and that's what this sounds like so far.

and no buyer really cares about the speed a nonessential is delivered. Which is why eBay Now failed.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 4 of 156
latest reply

It is what it is.

Message 5 of 156
latest reply

Sure, if your experience is that you ship within your stated handling time but the carrier(s) you choose consistently deliver late, late, late..or if you do not get acceptance scans, do not use tracking, do not accurately represent your intentions to both buyers and eBay...which apply to you?

Otherwise, figure out your potential loss...1 in 100 (if you sell that much)...1 in 200?  How much are you losing NOW on late deliveries...and why are they late?

What is your current and historical STR?  Good?  Bad?  Can't sell anything no matter how much you list, fine-tune your listings, try different starting times, try BIN/BO, adjust your terms and description, etc...how often do you do that to try to increase your sales (price and volume)?

Without even knowing those basic variables and potential risk, you cannot make a factual statement that the only reason eBay is doing this is...

so that eBay can lose revenue.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 6 of 156
latest reply

@garymi6 wrote:

Am I alone on this one?

You are not alone.

This proposal is undoubtedly the stupidest "big idea" to come out of eBay's "think tank" in quite a while. To guarantee a service which the actual providers themselves will not guarantee is ludicrous.

I  will be adding a disclaimer to every one of my listings pointing that out, that the United States Postal Service does NOT, and NEVER has, guaranteed delivery times, and any statements made by any entity to the contrary are blatently false.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 7 of 156
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

Sure, if your experience is that you ship within your stated handling time but the carrier(s) you choose consistently deliver late, late, late..or if you do not get acceptance scans, do not use tracking, do not accurately represent your intentions to both buyers and eBay...which apply to you?

Otherwise, figure out your potential loss...1 in 100 (if you sell that much)...1 in 200?  How much are you losing NOW on late deliveries...and why are they late?

What is your current and historical STR?  Good?  Bad?  Can't sell anything no matter how much you list, fine-tune your listings, try different starting times, try BIN/BO, adjust your terms and description, etc...how often do you do that to try to increase your sales (price and volume)?

Without even knowing those basic variables and potential risk, you cannot make a factual statement that the only reason eBay is doing this is...

so that eBay can lose revenue.

This is very valuable advice on trying to calculate if a seller should participate in this program.

I'm in the middle of tracking some of this from the past 90 days right now...

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 8 of 156
latest reply

the only real factual statement I can make 

is that I don't sell anything....no one looks no views no sales

I am turned off.

so I can't pay any attention to the tangle of words that eBay dropped...

they are changing the venue ---its not to attract new "buyers" 

its to make sellers pay for the flocks of scammers that will come here...

because making sellers responsible for USPS UPS and fed ex delivery is 

not reasonable. 

Message 9 of 156
latest reply

unless you are a seller that has 85,000 feedback and 357,000 listings up.

its goodbye small seller....

period.

Message 10 of 156
latest reply

Did you read the answers given by the reps on the locked thread?  I'm wondering because their answers and the article you posted aren't saying the same thing.  One or the other has to be wrong.

Message 11 of 156
latest reply

@axelenie0 wrote:

It is what it is.

And as Forrest Gump would say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Interestingly, for once eBay chose not to try to be like Amazon, and they messed it up royally with this one.

At least Amazon was smart enough to charge the impatient buyer $100 a year for Prime, and somehow eBay thinks it's a good idea to charge the seller if a shipping service that no one can control fouls up.  

If eBay wants to do that, then THEY should accept FULL responsibility for REFUNDING buyers.  Tells you how much THEY do NOT believe in this ridiculous scheme.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 12 of 156
latest reply

I for one will NOT be joining that ridiculous program.

Let the chips fall where they may.

As others have said, the P.O. doesn't even guarantee

the delivery, so why would I.

Message 13 of 156
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

huh?^^^^^?

ding ding.

Nah, ebay doesn't care about the sellers, one way or another.  Sellers are an inconvenience, a necessary evil.

Personally, I think it is a plan advanced by the street (BOD), for the street.

If the street likes it, more advertisers will like it.

It will draw more numbers (buyers), which the street always likes. and ....

It will cushion the bottom line, which ebay always likes, too.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 156
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Did you read the answers given by the reps on the locked thread?  I'm wondering because their answers and the article you posted aren't saying the same thing.  One or the other has to be wrong.

Well, in OP 's defense there were conflicting answers to the one question I asked. 

And there are a lot of rules and regulations to slog through.

its probably why the " eBay team" wasn't really participating, I don't think they really understood it.

I'm not even sure I really do- but it hasn't been implemented yet so I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 15 of 156
latest reply