cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but you have  43 FB and have zero current listings, and zero sold listings. Thanks for the advice I'm sure my 15 years of buying and selling is superceeded by your vast eBay experience.

If I had a sell-through rate as low as you claim yours is, I wouldn’t brag about my 15 years here. I’d consider all the advice that came my way.

But I’m a (0), So you probably don’t want to hear that.

Message 16 of 68
latest reply

Re: Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Example - I was looking at indoor turkey fryers which most had free shipping and around 90 to 100 dollars which is what they run new ! but in the middle of them there was a used one from a seller who set the price of 40 dollars but with $ 1,000 shipping !

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

So, Please share the real you so i can learn...I really do want to see the successes.

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

I just ran across something like that too but with jeans. Go to jeans and check on highest price ... I was like what the hay. I can't believe a human at eBay doesn't, or maybe they do??, look at this stuff. Jeans listed for like $1,000 and then you have some listed at $20 with $750 shipping. I don't know what to make of this  Smiley LOL

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

So, Please share the real you so i can learn...I really do want to see the successes.

No, im sure you can right the ship without our help.

Message 20 of 68
latest reply

They are not even coy about it ! lol

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

I saw a pair of used mens jeans for $99.00 Smiley Surprised

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

I actually sold a vintage pair of Levi's a couple years ago for $335...so they are out there.   As are the buyers. Not an everday find though

Message 23 of 68
latest reply

excessive shipping cost increases a couple months ago was the straw that broke the camel's back..; that is what changed

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

Some are reasonable, but most of your prices are way too high. You can buy a 14" fan for under $20 and you want 3x that amount. I could go on and on but it is best for you to stop and take a look at what you are doing if you want your items sold.

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

Yeah some people love to waste money ! We are doing great money wise but my wife says im so tight with money but i remind her that when we were younger i was terrible when it came to saving money and she fixed that Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

Some times its better to pay higher with no shipping cost if the seller has 97% or above rating which means you wont have any problems ! Thats the biggest problem for buyers on here and Amazon ! They want to be cheap skates and buy cheaper things from low rated seller's and then constantly have problems ! 

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

It's called throttling and Ebay allows on average 1 or 2 sales per day! I know people who list thousands of items or hundreds ,some have many Ebay accounts,some 1 ,in all they all make about 2 sales a day with a rare occassion of 3 or 4. If you google Ebay throttling how to beat cassini ,you can read and understand what's going on!

Note-- I recently read that Ebay makes 70 % of it's money from up front fee's . This all started about 5 years ago when Ebay brought in Cassini and dumped google,thus adding all kinds of up front fee's and category fee's especially on auctions and those who have basic/premium stores! Ebay figures the more you relist ,the more they make on those items rather then if they sell right away! Example a store owner pays 15 cents to list in cd or record category on auctions,now imagine relisting them 5 or 10 times or more times,most cd/record sellers list/re-list  hundreds or thousands! Ebay figured out that the bulk listing category's were going to have added fee's,so store owners are getting hosed! I have 25,000 feedbacks and most came over 5 years ago before cassini!

Message 28 of 68
latest reply

Please quit spreading the fallacy about throttling. Too many of you feel that you should have front page placement continually over the thousands of other sellers on here. There is a rotation of products as well as an algorithm that decides who gets seen. 

Put the main keyowrds at the front of your title - take lots of pictures and fill in every item specific and make a few of your own up - your item will sell if that is what the buyer is looking for.

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

Your not being forced to sell on here ! There are 2 other places to sell and by the way i bought 4 things from a seller 2 days ago so........

Message 30 of 68
latest reply