cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of watchers but no buys or offers... what is going on?!

Hello, hope you are doing well. Thank you for helping me! Anyway, I have a listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354787126009?hash=item529af5eaf9:g:JeMAAOSwfGlkXVpi

There are a lot of watchers and I have been constantly lowering the price of the item. Why are there no offers or buyers? I am confused, why is this happening? Normally when selling, this does not happen for me. When it reaches 3 watches, it sells on time. Please help, thank you and have a great day! 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Lots of watchers but no buys or offers... what is going on?!

@stevemartin60 wrote:

The cheerleaders always blame the economy, despite the OVERWHELMING evidence it is eBay shutting down the views of the non-PL extorted.

Zero evidence.

Purely speculation.

I don't use PL. How am I getting views and sales?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

Would you clarify this “economy slowing down” ..I really do not agree.

From everything I read there are many jobs available. 

Would you please identify what are the manny jobs currently available which would be helpful for sellers that are in need a regular job to supplement their current meager ebay earnings

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Not a good idea to make a statement and then leave it to interpretation.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

Not a good idea to make a statement and then leave it to interpretation.

Everything I say (and you say) is left to interpretation.

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

Being serious for a moment, I feel I have been throttled due to the one negative feedback over the earrings. Everything was just going along fine, and then the brakes went on and there has been little to nothing. They say it isn’t so, but I don’t believe that for ONE minute. They are in the mail, and I have been assured when the case is closed, the feedback will be removed. 

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

Being serious for a moment, I feel I have been throttled due to the one negative feedback over the earrings. Everything was just going along fine, and then the brakes went on and there has been little to nothing. They say it isn’t so, but I don’t believe that for ONE minute. They are in the mail, and I have been assured when the case is closed, the feedback will be removed. 

I believe there is no throttling.

But I also believe that you have every right to believe whatever you want.

I hope you get the neg removed and your switch is turned back on. 😉

Have a great weekend. 

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

Nobody is 'throttled' here.

Nobody's items are 'hidden' and 'not getting views' or 'watchers' or whatever because of

a.) 1 negative feedback

b.) too much $ sold in a short time

c.) not doing Promotions (unless you NEED to; and SHOULD be- because you are in a HEAVILY saturated category)

The economy HAS changed as is shown on numerous sites; venues etc. Large companies (Walmart) are reporting that the 'rich' are shopping in their stores to 'save a buck'.

The 19-49 year olds want to pay for 'an experience' and not 'stuff'. 

The price of rent, utilities, food, gas has gone up TREMENDOUSLY and although there are people here that think that is just a 'mirage' and it's eBay's fault- are simply doing the "fingers in the ears yelling 'la la la' ".... so they can't hear the truth.

Want to get to the truth??

Just ask your 5 neighbors on all 4 sides of you (20 total) to see if the Economy hasn't 'changed' the way they shop. 

I guarantee you will NEVER get more than 10 of those people telling you 'there is no "economy" issue'. 

Even in the 90210 zip code. 

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Nobody is 'throttled' here.

Nobody's items are 'hidden' and 'not getting views' or 'watchers' or whatever because of

a.) 1 negative feedback

b.) too much $ sold in a short time

c.) not doing Promotions (unless you NEED to; and SHOULD be- because you are in a HEAVILY saturated category)

You forgot "I said something bad about ebay on the boards".   😉

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

I just viewed your listing for the vending machine...I cannot read the text in your description because of "red, blue and yellow background."   Customers will not make purchase if they cannot read description.   Also you might want to put description of item on "top of the page" and shipping details below that. 

Good luck to you...

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

That is impossible for one person to answer as everyone’s education, interests, are different. One thing I feel, Ebay is not of means of supporting yourself, it is normally a good way to supplement your income and hopefully doing something you like to do. Many people think a job is going to arrive on their doorstep and are not interested in moving.  I read once that 50% of our population live within 50 miles of their birthplace. I grew up in a military family, and was used to moving. It never bothered me. So my husband and I also a military family were always moving. 

Here is a link to an excellent list of jobs in demand, and projections.  

https://www.theforage.com/blog/news/most-in-demand-jobs

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

Slow time of year

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Welcome to summer. It'll pick back up again in late August.

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

I think you are reading the economic tea leaves wrong.  

Despite the jobs numbers and GDP data, the fact is that the data shows that compared to this time last year, cost of goods has increased about 5%.  People are spending that much more, but only to buy the same goods they were already getting, which means there is 5% less money for discretionary spending.  And chotskies off E-Bay are the first things you cut out, meaning sellers see a slow down here. 

And even beyond that, some areas on E-Bay get hit harder than others.  Example, the tech sector has seen about a 9% reduction in jobs.  These are the IT people who tend to by geeky collectibles like the stuff I sell.  Sure overall the economy added jobs in other areas like mining and automobile manufacturing and those made up for the loss in IT jobs.

However, the auto workers are probably more likely to spend money or restoring that old car, not buying Captain Planet action figures.  So I see that IT money going away and sales dropping, but someone else sees a bump in selling old car parts.

So beyond everyone getting pinched because inflation is reducing discretionary spending, certain categories of sellers may be seeing a major slow down, while others see an uptick.  To the seller who sold a lot of stuff to IT workers, the economy looks pretty bad to you when 9% of them are out of work!

And  that is about what I am seeing.  My E-Bay is down around 20% from last year, but if 5% of it is economic pinch and 9% is IT guys getting laid off so they stop buying, that covers most of my 20% drop probably.  Increased shipping costs could drive people local.  I've seen a big drop in international sales since GSP was closed and I was forced to switch to ISP.  Those could be responsible for my remaining drop.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

I'm not sure what "I have been constantly lowering the price" means?  How often.  Maybe they are waiting to see how low you will go.  Just a thought to consider.

There are no guarantees to how many watchers there might be before a sale happens.  Same with views  I sell items all the time that have no watchers and no views.  

You only have two items listed.  I can see that the expensive item has 10 watchers.  You might just want to evaluated how often and how much you keep lowering the price to the watchers.  

Maybe you should just lower the price on the listing to an acceptable price for you and see what happens.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 40
latest reply

here ya go...

EMBARGOED UNTIL RELEASE AT 8:30 a.m. EDT, Thursday, May 25, 2023
BEA 23-20

Gross Domestic Product (Second Estimate), Corporate Profits (Preliminary Estimate), First Quarter 2023

Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 1.3 percent in the first quarter of 2023 (table 1), according to the "second" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the fourth quarter, real GDP increased 2.6 percent.

The GDP estimate released today is based on more complete source data than were available for the "advance" estimate issued last month.  In the advance estimate, the increase in real GDP was 1.1 percent (refer to "Updates to GDP"). The updated estimates primarily reflected an upward revision to private inventory investment.

The increase in real GDP reflected increases in consumer spending, exports, federal government spending, state and local government spending, and nonresidential fixed investment that were partly offset by decreases in private inventory investment and residential fixed investment. Imports, which are a subtraction in the calculation of GDP, increased (table 2).

Compared to the fourth quarter, the deceleration in real GDP in the first quarter primarily reflected a downturn in private inventory investment and a slowdown in nonresidential fixed investment. These movements were partly offset by an acceleration in consumer spending, an upturn in exports, and a smaller decrease in residential fixed investment. Imports turned up.

Current‑dollar GDP increased 5.4 percent at an annual rate, or $348.3 billion, in the first quarter to a level of $26.49 trillion, an upward revision of $20.4 billion from the previous estimate (tables 1 and 3). More information on the source data that underlie the estimates is available in the "Key Source Data and Assumptions" file on BEA's website.

The price index for gross domestic purchases increased 3.8 percent in the first quarter, the same as previously estimated. The personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index increased 4.2 percent, the same as previously estimated. Excluding food and energy prices, the PCE price index increased 5.0 percent, an upward revision of 0.1 percentage point.

Personal Income

Current-dollar personal income increased $251.3 billion in the first quarter, a downward revision of $27.6 billion from the previous estimate. The increase in the first quarter primarily reflected increases in compensation (led by private wages and salaries) and government social benefits (table 8).

Disposable personal income increased $561.6 billion, or 12.3 percent, in the first quarter, a downward revision of $9.6 billion from the previous estimate. Real disposable personal income increased 7.8 percent, a downward revision of 0.2 percentage point.

Personal saving was $829.2 billion in the first quarter, a downward revision of $6.1 billion from the previous estimate. The personal saving rate—personal saving as a percentage of disposable personal income—was 4.2 percent in the first quarter, a downward revision of 0.6 percentage point.

Gross Domestic Income and Corporate Profits

Real gross domestic income (GDI) decreased 2.3 percent in the first quarter, compared with a decrease of 3.3 percent (revised) in the fourth quarter. The average of real GDP and real GDI, a supplemental measure of U.S. economic activity that equally weights GDP and GDI, decreased 0.5 percent in the first quarter, compared with a decrease of 0.4 percent (revised) in the fourth quarter (table 1).

Profits from current production (corporate profits with inventory valuation and capital consumption adjustments) decreased $151.1 billion in the first quarter, compared with a decrease of $60.5 billion in the fourth quarter (table 10).

Profits of domestic financial corporations decreased $25.4 billion in the first quarter, compared with a decrease of $59.0 billion in the fourth quarter. Profits of domestic nonfinancial corporations decreased $109.3 billion, compared with a decrease of $22.9 billion. Rest-of-the-world profits (net) decreased $16.4 billion, in contrast to an increase of $21.4 billion. In the first quarter, receipts increased $12.2 billion, and payments increased $28.6 billion.

Updates to GDP

With the second estimate, upward revisions to private inventory investment, state and local government spending, nonresidential fixed investment, consumer spending, and exports were partly offset by a downward revision to residential fixed investment. Imports were revised up. For more information, refer to the Technical Note. For information on updates to GDP, refer to the "Additional Information" section that follows.

Advance Estimate Second Estimate(Percent change from preceding quarter)Real GDPCurrent-dollar GDPReal GDIAverage of Real GDP and Real GDIGross domestic purchases price indexPCE price indexPCE price index excluding food and energy

Updates to Fourth-Quarter Wages and Salaries

In addition to presenting updated estimates for the first quarter, today's release presents revised estimates of fourth-quarter wages and salaries, personal taxes, and contributions for government social insurance, based on updated data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages program. Wages and salaries are now estimated to have increased $53.0 billion in the fourth quarter, a downward revision of $135.4 billion. Personal current taxes are now estimated to have decreased $20.3 billion, a downward revision of $16.2 billion. Contributions for government social insurance are now estimated to have increased $8.1 billion, a downward revision of $17.4 billion. With the incorporation of these new data, real gross domestic income is now estimated to have decreased 3.3 percent in the fourth quarter, a downward revision of 2.2 percentage points from the previously published estimate.

Next release, June 29, 2023, at 8:30 a.m. EDT
Gross Domestic Product (Third Estimate)
Corporate Profits (Revised)
Gross Domestic Product by Industry
First Quarter 2023

Message 30 of 40
latest reply