cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a message asking for proof of purchase

I received a message this morning asking for proof that I legitimately purchased an item I sold. I had to send the receipt where I paid for it and where I purchased it from. I was really aggravated about it because I see people selling these things all the time. It's a water bottle. I guess they didn't like that I made a profit off of it because it is a limited edition. Is this legit? I wasn't worried about because it isn't a counterfeit or anything like that but now I'm concerned because I sent a copy of the receipt that has my address on it.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Was it one of your buyers? If not then I would have not sent them anything and ignored them and added them to my BBL.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Yes it is legit....EBAY occasionally asks for "proof of purchase" if your item is flagged for some reason. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I doubt it was from ebay. Why would the OP be concerned about ebay knowing their address?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

OP posted the user id of the person who emailed them (mods just edited it) so it was not from eBay.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

"...because I see people selling these things all the time..."

assuming the message was from ebay.....Maybe they also had to show proof, too.......

we would have no way of knowing otherwise

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

Yes it is legit....EBAY occasionally asks for "proof of purchase" if your item is flagged for some reason. 

I saw post before it was revised. OP said request was from a random eBay member, not from eBay.

OP reads completely different without knowing that info. Would have been helpful if the mods replaced the member's eBay ID with something like [another eBay member] so the context was not lost while following privacy guidelines.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I'm confused do we really need to show proof of purchase for items we get at yard sale ,flea markets, out of our closets, our mothers clean outs? I can see expensive store bought items but we are resellers and dumpster divers.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

No, we don't. Only to ebay if they ask for them.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

HI, I have never had someone ask about the legit purchase. However, I do get folks asking where I got their item from time to time.  I normally tell them I do not remember exactly, and then list off all the places I get stuff from.  It could have been any one of those places.  Which for me is the truth.  By the time I write the listing, I have no clue where it came from.  

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Was it your buyer asking for that info?
If it was, they will have your address anyway when they receive the item.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

usually sketchy sellers sell counterfeit items so what they do is to contact a legit seller selling the same item. They then ask for proof of purchase making it look like they’re interested. Once the seller sends em the receipt, they’ll use it to include it on their counterfeit item making it look like it’s legit. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

It was just a random eBayer?  Not eBay or the Brand representative?  I would not have sent them anything unless they were in a position that gave them the right to ask.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I was just asked same for my sold and all listing of proof of purchases they are using that to other release funds only sold 4 items all got 5 star feedback so should not be issue I bought items from 15 to 20 years ago in hand cash transactions or inherent items. They refer me to user agreements but see zero about receipts and descriptions required with proof of purchase. Ebay would go bankrupt overnight if required every seller for this information 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

They done the same thing to me over a month ago and I have sent them everything they have asked for except the proof of purchase on all my items. And yes I mean all my items not just one but every item I ever posted. And I done nothing wrong every item I sold on eBay I sent and customer loved. I even sent COA PAPERS with the items that had the doctors name on it. Why because he gave them to me before he died. Anyways As they requested. Due to the fact i inherited these items from a doctor that passed away so I wouldn’t have proof of purchase. I have sent them documents that he left me plus my power of attorney papers ( because I was his power of attorney) and even went into his computer email receipt to find his receipt on some of my items I listed . I even told them he left me COA PAPERS FOR THE REAL ART WORK. And when I say he left me every thing he owned I mean everything. He was a art collector I even have text messages I sent to email that he said he left me everything including a paper he wrote that left me as executor of his estate. Long story short. I have sent these item many times over 30 days. Because every three days they resend me the same message asking for proof of purchase but not just a receipt but it has to have my name on it plus I have to have a credit card statement to match that receipt. I have sold many items of expensive artwork the customer received items  over 30 days ago and I will never receive them items back. This is not fair I was gifted these items for caring for a doctor for 14 years of my life and just because I don’t make enough money to afford these items. EBAY WILL NOT RELASE MY MONEY.and yes I mean a eBay representative was on the phone with me with many people in the room on speaker said to me well we know you don’t have enough money to afford this kind of artwork so we have to make sure that it is not stolen to me. that’s discrimination And now I lost my art work as well. Can some please explain to me how can some one proof purchase on gifted items. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply