cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a Reminder: This Monday, June 20th, is a Postal Holiday

Post Office will be closed for Juneteenth. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Just a Reminder: This Monday, June 20th, is a Postal Holiday

Texas was the last state to recognize the end of slavery via the Emancipation Proclamation. So the holiday represents the completeness of that accomplishment across all of the affected States. It has been celebrated on a local scale throughout the South for decades.  It was observed in 1991 by the Black-owned company that I worked for in Massachusetts.

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Now I know that they are aware of it.  Customer Service makes you feel like you are on your own at eBay!!!  Thanks for your help,  Jesse at Tender Heart Creations  

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

The customers have griping about the lack of Monday delivery since Tuesday. 🤔😎

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Have you read the post from valueaddedresource where he quotes the exact ruling? 

I think the confusion arose because last year the closure was not fully implemented.  The Post Office recognized the holiday as declared in 2021, but because of the timing of the announcement, some offices were able to do the necessary to close while others were not.   This year, all offices will be closed.   At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

-

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

so would we still have to  make sure the labels are printed by June 20th?

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@kabilab wrote:

In May of this year, I was exiting the Post Office when I noticed a sign stating a closure in June; as this was puzzling to me, I stopped to read. In my 79 yrs. of life, I was ignorant of the term Juneteenth. Returning home, I accessed the term and learned its meaning related to Texans not informing slaves, following the civil war, of their freedom. Certainly that was a terrible injustice, as was slavery, and if that state wished to establish a special day it would be understandable. For the current administration, though, to proclaim a National holiday, for an offense in a solitary state is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

A bigger offense is the total lack of education on this and similar subjects many of us were given growing up.  As an adult I am just now learning true history facts -- not just the White version.  I feel I have been ignorant of many facts that were covered up and ignored.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

" I feel I have been ignorant of many facts that were covered up and ignored."

don't be so hard on yourself. Nothing is taught in school anymore.  They are just babysitters now.  heck , look at how many adults don't even know what gender bathroom to use. 

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

"No, each state must make it a holiday, i it chooses to.  I mean, when a federal holiday is declared that doesn't make it a holiday in individual states."

Not entirely true.  A declared Federal holiday is for ALL United States Government employees -- including USPS employees.  Individual states can not override Federal rules, effecting Federal employees.  This is a jurisdictional right, guaranteed in the United States Constitution.

While the states themselves may not recognize the holiday (as Arizona did with Martin Luther King's Birthday until 1992 -- nine years after President Reagan had declared it a national holiday), Federal employees who may work in those states are legally permitted to not work those days, and Federal offices in those states (such as USPS, Federal Courts Buildings, etc) will not be open for business.

This applies only to Federal government operations, and not individual state operations, as well as privately owned businesses in those states.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

"No, each state must make it a holiday, i it chooses to.  I mean, when a federal holiday is declared that doesn't make it a holiday in individual states."

Not entirely true.  A declared Federal holiday is for ALL United States Government employees -- including USPS employees.  Individual states can not override Federal rules, effecting Federal employees.  This is a jurisdictional right, guaranteed in the United States Constitution...

Sorry.  I thought I was clear enough but evidently was not.  Of course, the federal employees within each state have the day as a holiday. 

I was talking about everyone else in the state, including state employees and others.  Here in PA, it's a state holiday, so it's a paid holiday for state employees (as well as federal employees, of course).   Some private sector employees also have it as a paid holiday and/or get holiday pay if they do work.

I believe it is still the case that only the states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island require private sector employers to give employees federal and state holidays as paid days off or give extra pay for working on those holidays.

-

Message 39 of 39
latest reply