cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a Reminder: This Monday, June 20th, is a Postal Holiday

Post Office will be closed for Juneteenth. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Just a Reminder: This Monday, June 20th, is a Postal Holiday

@kensgiftshop  That's one reason I posted this....it's pretty new, and I figured some people might not be aware of the PO closing. 

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

velvet@ebay  devon@ebay  - I'm seeing reports from some sellers with 5 day handling times that items sold on 6/15 are showing a required ship by date of 6/22.

With Monday 6/20 being a Federal postal holiday, that should not be counted and the correct required date for an order from 6/15 with a 5 business day handling time should be 6/23.

It sounds like the shipping department may have missed the memo on this - please confirm with them and also advise what sellers should do if they receive late shipment dings in error.

Hey @valueaddedresource! We're reaching out to the shipping team and will follow up once we have a response. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 17 of 39
latest reply

Juneteenth is a lot more relevant than "Columbus Day" - which I've always found to be a silly holiday, as if there wasn't anyone living on this continent already and Leif Erikson hadn't already been here . 🙄 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

Hi @valueaddedresource! I got a reply back faster than I was expecting to. 😊 They said they made an update this morning but it will only apply to transactions that occurred after the update was made. They've already worked out protections for sellers prior to the update too, so no worries about shipping defects for any impacted transactions. 🙌

Velvet,
eBay
Message 19 of 39
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hi @valueaddedresource! I got a reply back faster than I was expecting to. 😊 They said they made an update this morning but it will only apply to transactions that occurred after the update was made. They've already worked out protections for sellers prior to the update too, so no worries about shipping defects for any impacted transactions. 🙌

Thanks velvet@ebay ! And please pass on a big thanks to whoever deserves it for the fast reply too.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

If it's a Federal holiday, as it seems to be, shouldn't all states be celebrating it and won't all post offices be closed?  

No, each state must make it a holiday, i it chooses to.  I mean, when a federal holiday is declared that doesn't make it a holiday in individual states.  Here in PA, it is an official holiday, and I think it is in about 20 other states and the D.C., and is in the works in several more, where it is already a "day of special observance" or similar.

Columbus Day is not an official, declared holiday in all states, either, as another example of a federal holiday that isn't universally a state holiday.

And, yes, this baffles some of my friends in foreign places, too.  🙂

-

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

Columbus Day here is observed locally with a big bike race, then everyone goes out and gets drunk and stuffs themselves on pasta. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 39
latest reply

European invaders get all the glory

I once owned a Desoto

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Juneteenth is a lot more relevant than "Columbus Day" - which I've always found to be a silly holiday, as if there wasn't anyone living on this continent already and Leif Erikson hadn't already been here . 🙄 

I actually agree, and I remember when it became a federal holiday in 1971 (although observed in various forms,  including federal observation, long before that) after much pressure and lobbying from Italian groups.  I sympathized with their feelings, because Italian immigrants had it especially rough and endured much, including lynchings and suffering as "enemy aliens" during WW2, but they stayed the course and contributed much, in every field, to the nation.   But Columbus Day...?  Well, I always thought that was a bit iffy. 

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

Sicilians came in for the worst, I think.  I'm Irish, and we had "Irish need not apply" - people like to pull the ladder up behind them. 

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Juneteenth. 

I think there are only a few state that celebrate it.

It is Federal holiday.  My company (national/publically traded) is observing.  We have it off.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 26 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for the reminder OP.   My carrier mentioned it & I didn't know what holiday he was referring to, but he said it was a new one.  He's taking advantage of it to make a 5 day 'weekend' lol.  Good for him, not for me though cuz whenever he's gone, my pickups don't occur. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Have you read the post from valueaddedresource where he quotes the exact ruling? 

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

I was not questioning the legality of this holiday.  My question was why some post office facilities would not be celebrating with closure while others would.  From what you posted, it does not seem like not closing is an option.  

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

In May of this year, I was exiting the Post Office when I noticed a sign stating a closure in June; as this was puzzling to me, I stopped to read. In my 79 yrs. of life, I was ignorant of the term Juneteenth. Returning home, I accessed the term and learned its meaning related to Texans not informing slaves, following the civil war, of their freedom. Certainly that was a terrible injustice, as was slavery, and if that state wished to establish a special day it would be understandable. For the current administration, though, to proclaim a National holiday, for an offense in a solitary state is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply