cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item returned to sender... except it got "returned" to buyer's address

I sold something, shipped it, and now the buyer contacted me to point out the odd tracking. It says that the item was "returned to sender" because of an insufficient address. Not a huge deal - people make mistakes on their address. The weird part is that it shows the buyer's town and state as the place it was returned to today and I definitely did not get it back in the mail today. They say they never got it and shipping doesn't show delivered, so I'm worried they will open a case against me now and I will be out the item and money.

Anyone know what to do about this situation? 

https://bio.link/langs
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You could send a "where is my mail" notification to the USPS to see what's going on. At this point no one here can tell you where is the package. At least USPS can tell where is at and you can proceed from there. Good luck.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The USPS can see where a package was actually delivered by checking the GPS information collected on their scanning devices.

The quickest way I've found to get this information is to contact my local PostMaster in person.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@*coins wrote:

I sold something, shipped it, and now the buyer contacted me to point out the odd tracking. It says that the item was "returned to sender" because of an insufficient address. Not a huge deal - people make mistakes on their address. The weird part is that it shows the buyer's town and state as the place it was returned to today and I definitely did not get it back in the mail today. They say they never got it and shipping doesn't show delivered, so I'm worried they will open a case against me now and I will be out the item and money.

Anyone know what to do about this situation? 

It would be easier to make an educated guess if you posted the actual tracking (or the number).

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Here's the tracking:

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I think this parcel transit is still in progress, as in being returned to you. Have you googled the address to see what it comes up, I do it on all my sales. It is worth a shot to send a "where's my mail query" to USPS. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I do not generally check out addresses. The buyer did show me screenshots of his other recent orders and said that he has been receiving other items fine.

Googled the address and it looks like a normal place.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It can take a week or more for an item to be returned to sender. I would expect to see movement on the package in 3-5 days, on its way back to you.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@*coins 

according to the tracking info you provided, it is being processed from the PA post office to be sent back to you.

I would call them.

Maybe you'll have time to give them the additional info they need to make a successful delivery to the buyer.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Since it was the buyers mistake you win.  That’s eBay’s guarantee!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

you need to do your homework and don't think every buyer is honest. You look to be a new seller. That makes you a target for scams. 

I always google map / review my buyers feedback before shipping.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@*coins wrote:

Here's the tracking: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9400108205499762467933.

Looks "normal" to me, yesterday someone (probably the carrier) marked is as Return To Sender, it will sit at the local post office for a day or two and then start moving back to you.

Because it's a return it's a LOW priority item so you may not see any movement for a few days.

As far as why it was undelivered, that is an unknown, you may see more information marked on the package itself once you get it back.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Alright, thanks for the answers guys. What should I do when I receive it back? Do I just eat the shipping to try sending it again? I'd rather not buy another label because it isn't my fault and I just sent it to the address the buyer provided me with...

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I had stuff  return to my San Francisco hub but not to me. Sometimes the item returns to your city but not to you. Then it goes out again. Weird I know but the tracking on one of packages to buyer went back and forth never returning to me...it took 2 weeks to get to person to the east coast. Usually going to the post office in person with tracking and talking to a clerk can tell you more than online tracking.  Never had anything lost yet with tracking.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

RTS can be similar to a pkg refusal, it can go on the USPS Merry Go Round for awhile, until there's some manual intervention.  That's b/c the UPC points to the original destination.  So, it needs someone to pull it off the conveyor to do exception processing.  That's how the USPS explained it to me, when I had a refused pkg, that kept going round & round between the buyer & their PO.   It CAN take awhile for that intervention to happen & the pkg to be on it's way to you.   I would just sit tight.  It will make it back to you, but could take a bit. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 15 of 17
latest reply