cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the ebay app hiding things?

I'm starting to get more and more potential buyers asking me questions that are clearly answered in the listing description. I've started enlarging the font in case it was regular pc users not being able to see the description. But that made no difference. So, I'm assuming it's how the description in the app is way down on the listing and requires you to click a link to see it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

***********************************SIG LINE******************************************
Don't think of them as hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches!;-)
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Is the ebay app hiding things?

Potential buyers asking questions where the answer is clearly on the listing, I wouldn't blame that on the app.  I would blame that on ...... human nature.   I've looked at some of my listings on the app. You are able to click on "See full description" and see  everything that you would see on a PC.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

eBay isn't "hiding" the full description on the app but there is only limited real estate available so unless your description is really short they will only display a portion and buyer must click to see the full description.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

They need to make larger phones. I can’t wait until we have phones as large as tablets.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

They need to make larger phones. I can’t wait until we have phones as large as tablets.

Agreed - phones need to be a lot larger. Then maybe we could stand them up on our desks. And attach a keyboard and a mouse to them so they are easier to use. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I've been selling on ebay for a long time. I know how buyers are. But this has gotten worse. 

When a user would rather type out a question, than click on a link, there's a problem. I don't think they're seeing that link.

***********************************SIG LINE******************************************
Don't think of them as hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches!;-)
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I looked at listings on the app last night before posting this thread. It looks like they don't show any part of the description now. It's just a link to the description.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Some buyers either don’t know how to read, can’t comprehend what they are reading or just don’t want to read what’s in your description.

Prime example : I post the number of discs an audiobook set has both in the title and in the description. And I still get people asking me how many discs are in the set. 🙄

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Potential buyers asking questions where the answer is clearly on the listing, I wouldn't blame that on the app.  I would blame that on ...... human nature. 

I work B&M retail and I can't tell you how many times I've had people stand directly in front of a sign and ask me a question that was answered if they just bothered to read the sign.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I'm very new to using a cell phone.

I have gone on to check how my listing look for "cell" lookers/buyers.

Some of my item description is readily seen, but scrolling down is needed to locate the link to see the full description.

It seems from what I have observer of others using phones is that they just love to keep touching that screen to scroll to see things, be perhaps eBay lookers/buyers don't fit that obsessive pattern.

I very seldom get questions about my listings. (other than looking for a discounted price)

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Agreed - phones need to be a lot larger. Then maybe we could stand them up on our desks. And attach a keyboard and a mouse to them so they are easier to use. 

Remember "Get Smart"?

I'm bummed out that the shoe phone never took off.  

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@randbrestorations wrote:

I'm starting to get more and more potential buyers asking me questions that are clearly answered in the listing description. I've started enlarging the font in case it was regular pc users not being able to see the description. But that made no difference. So, I'm assuming it's how the description in the app is way down on the listing and requires you to click a link to see it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

@randbrestorations unfortunately, it's not just the app.

eBay is also testing hiding parts of the description behind a "see more" button on desktop

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/not-on-every-listing-but-some/m-p/33606876/highlight/true#M217...

and "quick view" for stores that allows buyers to add to cart and checkout without ever see the full listing page.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Quick-View-In-Stores-Allows-Add-To-Cart-Without-Viewing-Listin...

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Potential buyers asking questions where the answer is clearly on the listing, I wouldn't blame that on the app.  I would blame that on ...... human nature.   I've looked at some of my listings on the app. You are able to click on "See full description" and see  everything that you would see on a PC.

I agree.

I think it might be because sometimes it is hard to find that "Description" link that enlarges the complete description. I know on all the sales I've looked at (including mine), once I click that description link, everything pops up.

When I first started using the app...I absolutely did not like it because there was not a full description. I quit using it for awhile until I went back and started looking at it closer.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Some buyers either don’t know how to read, can’t comprehend what they are reading or just don’t want to read what’s in your description.

Prime example : I post the number of discs an audiobook set has both in the title and in the description. And I still get people asking me how many discs are in the set. 🙄

After this discussion...

A little part of me wants to go look up a sale of yours and send you a question and ask "How many discs are in this set?"

But...I...just...can't....

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

Potential buyers asking questions where the answer is clearly on the listing, I wouldn't blame that on the app.  I would blame that on ...... human nature. 

I work B&M retail and I can't tell you how many times I've had people stand directly in front of a sign and ask me a question that was answered if they just bothered to read the sign.

I told this story several times here.

I once sold a expired Ruth's Chris gift card.

The card expired but my local Ruth's Chris said they would still gladly accept it.

I explained all that in the listing along with... 

"Please check with your local Ruth's Chris before you purchase this item."  

The word "expired"  was in the title, in the description several times, in red, and in bold.

The first thing the buyer did when she received the card was message me...

"This card is expired!"   

You're right. People just don't read.   😉

Message 15 of 23
latest reply