cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep a map of my sales. Does anyone else? I have never had a buyer from N Dakota or Wyoming.

I have a Google map labeled eBay sales. I put a pin in every city/state where I have shipped a package.  There have been a few international sales to Greece, Taiwan, Wales, Poland, China, UAE, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada, Nova Scotia.  I find it interesting that in the 20 plus years I have been selling, the only 2 states that I have not sold an item are North Dakota & Wyoming.  Just curious if anyone else has a similar project! It's interesting to open up the map & see the hundreds of places my items have been 're-homed'!

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: I keep a map of my sales. Does anyone else? I have never had a buyer from N Dakota or Wyoming.

I had one memorable sale to Wyoming. A $600 book purchased by its best-known politician. (They paid full price, even though I had Best Offer enabled.)

Message 16 of 98
latest reply

Re: I keep a map of my sales. Does anyone else? I have never had a buyer from N Dakota or Wyoming.

I live in Kansas and most of my sales are to California, New York and Florida.    A couple of months ago, for a couple of weeks, I got a lot of sales from states close around me.  It was so unusual, it was almost weird.  Then that stopped.   I've always wondered why there are so many states (and there are a lot of them) I rarely or never get sales from. 

Message 17 of 98
latest reply

@*trekkie wrote:

I have a Google map labeled eBay sales. I put a pin in every city/state where I have shipped a package.  There have been a few international sales to Greece, Taiwan, Wales, Poland, China, UAE, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada, Nova Scotia.  I find it interesting that in the 20 plus years I have been selling, the only 2 states that I have not sold an item are North Dakota & Wyoming.  Just curious if anyone else has a similar project! It's interesting to open up the map & see the hundreds of places my items have been 're-homed'!

I wish I had kept all of the data from my ebay sales going back almost 25 years, I would love to have a map like that of my own

Message 18 of 98
latest reply

@*trekkie 

That's fun! I found me

Screenshot_20240123_063917_Chrome~3.jpg

 I'm in that purple dot! 💜 

Message 19 of 98
latest reply

@pickapaper wrote:

I live in Kansas and most of my sales are to California, New York and Florida.    A couple of months ago, for a couple of weeks, I got a lot of sales from states close around me.  It was so unusual, it was almost weird.  Then that stopped.   I've always wondered why there are so many states (and there are a lot of them) I rarely or never get sales from. 

Having lots of sales from those 3 states isn't too surprising, since they are 3 of the 4 most populous states, and together they comprise about 25% of the US population.

Lack of sales to nearby states might be partly explained by their lower population and also by your shipping policy, which offers free shipping or charges a flat price for shipping.  Maybe the nearby buyers are finding those same items at a cheaper total cost from sellers who use calculated shipping, because those sellers don't have to charge a price that covers shipping to farther states?

Message 20 of 98
latest reply

@chapeau-noir  wrote:

Nice state, Wyoming, I rode my bike across most of it one summer.

Ah yes, the Cowboy state. Back in the 70s I lived there for 9 years, in Casper. I spent many summers going to Casper Mountain and Alcova Lake.

Notable mentions: Bill Wyoming (population 3) with a post office and a "yacht club", and the mythical Jackalope.

Message 21 of 98
latest reply

I've never kept track myself, but years ago when I first started selling (2004) I remember many people doing this.  It's not unusual & is a fun idea!   I can't remember if I've ever sold to WY, but I have sold a handful of times to North Dakota. It always resonates with me because my father-in-law grew up in North Dakota, with seven brothers. My husband always liked to talk about it,  as it was an unusual place to us, being from Chicago.

I've sold all over the country, to almost every state, PR, Mariana Islands, etc.  I've sold to a handful of people in Chicago but very few.   Most of those have lived about 10, 15 minutes  away.  I once bought coupons from someone that lived one building over.  That was weird.  Pretty much next door.  It was just paper coupons, but what was odd was that it took over 2 weeks to mail them out.  She could have walked it over.  I would have left pretty bad feedback but considering she lived next door & had my name/address, I thought better of it.

Message 22 of 98
latest reply

How it works I haven't a clue, but I have had 5 sales over a weekend with completely unrelated items and 4 of the 5 were in same state and 5'th was also Midwest. Impossible unless being shown to certain demographics only. Man what I wouldn't give for 5 sales over a weekend.

Message 23 of 98
latest reply

I began doing the map years ago with my grandkids. It was a way to teach them states, capitols, and countries. I've sold to all 50 states. 1960s muscle car parts to Wyoming and old Popular Science magazines to North Dakota. Internationally, lace fans went to Russia, fly fishing lures to Germany, a Tole lamp to England, net hats and a cooler to Japan, toys to South Korea, and quite a lot of sexy 1960s lingerie to Australia.   

Message 24 of 98
latest reply

@*trekkie wrote:

That's quite a bike excursion! 

Waiting for sales to ND & WY so I can complete my "All 50 States" bingo card! Wonder if I can get eBay to give us a badge if we do? LOL!

Camped at night and met some really nice people and saw amazing countryside including riding over two 10,000 foot passes.

I'm not sure I've started a bingo card - I know it's easy to pin destinations with apps like pin drop, etc., but haven't done it. (I do not think you have 'too much time on your hands' - why, when someone does something creative or exercises their curiosity, do people decide they have to much time on their hands? Does it take away from television watching?)  The closest addresses I've sold items do was one up on the bluff above my road, and another almost next door to the post office which I used to ship it. I kept wondering if I would see either of these items in the wild, so to speak. Twice I met someone at the local coffee house for the transaction and they lived several miles away - heavy leather coats, it was just easier for them to pick them up and I deducted shipping. Coffee and bagel afterwards (not with them - they had to get back home).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 98
latest reply

I too keep a map, but old school.  I have a large map on the wall with push pins.  It was a great learning tool for my daughter in school.  I would tell her a state and she would put the pin in the correct state.   Top states:  Ohio (my own), Florida, California, Texas, New York.  I have shipped to my own city and the next town over.  Very few sales to North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 98
latest reply

@chapeau-noir  wrote:

Nice state, Wyoming, I rode my bike across most of it one summer.

Ah yes, the Cowboy state. Back in the 70s I lived there for 9 years, in Casper. I spent many summers going to Casper Mountain and Alcova Lake.

Notable mentions: Bill Wyoming (population 3) with a post office and a "yacht club", and the mythical Jackalope.

Mythical? I bagged this guy back in 82 but it was in North Dakota not Wyoming. 

jack.jpg

Message 27 of 98
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

I too keep a map, but old school.  I have a large map on the wall with push pins.  It was a great learning tool for my daughter in school.  I would tell her a state and she would put the pin in the correct state.   

This was a really great idea! My daughter loved 'helping' too! I would let her weigh the package, (I would double check!) and hit the print button for the labels. She enjoyed seeing where the things were being sent on the map and how far, or close, they were going. 

Message 28 of 98
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

(I do not think you have 'too much time on your hands' - why, when someone does something creative or exercises their curiosity, do people decide they have to much time on their hands? Does it take away from television watching?)  

Thank you! That is exactly how I am in a nutshell - creative & curious! 

Message 29 of 98
latest reply

@linus.hux72fe wrote:

I began doing the map years ago with my grandkids. It was a way to teach them states, capitols, and countries. I've sold to all 50 states. 1960s muscle car parts to Wyoming and old Popular Science magazines to North Dakota. Internationally, lace fans went to Russia, fly fishing lures to Germany, a Tole lamp to England, net hats and a cooler to Japan, toys to South Korea, and quite a lot of sexy 1960s lingerie to Australia.   

Wonderful idea getting the grandkids involved! 

You have the "All 50 States" badge! Achievement unlocked!

Wow! Interesting breakdown of demographics! (Well, Australia... who knew? Not judging, though!)

My camera parts went to Asia, Kirks Folly jewelry to Europe, collectibles go to California, books to Eastern US.

Message 30 of 98
latest reply