cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got a chargeback notice from paypal for a 6 month old transaction.

A buyer from almost 6 months ago (2 weeks short of 6 months, actually) has filed "item not received" with paypal. I got an email from paypal but there's nothing more on the paypal website (on my account page) I can find.

Yeah, he got it. The item ($160) was delivered long ago. The transaction information has rolled off and disappeared. I'm not even positive what the item was (I think it was probably a pair of Streamlight flashlights). I don't have a tracking number or other proof of delivery but I assume paypal has access to that, somehow.

What happens at the 6 month line? I assume the "buyer" has his eyes on both ebay and the paypal deadlines for filing complaints and he's trying to play both to his advantage?

It seems like every 3rd or 4th ebay transaction becomes a needless PITA.

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: I just got a chargeback notice from paypal for a 6 month old transaction.

Hi bebe-1153, what would you like to know?

Paypal did take the money from me but I provided the info I received from the FOIA request with detailed tracking and they returned the chargeback.  Its been a few years so I forget how exactly I did it but there is a Freedom of Information Act website and that is where I filed the request, which took a few weeks, I called them to follow up and they emailed and Priority Mailed a document showing every scan. I keep screenshots of all tracking now after that experience.

Message 46 of 76
latest reply

Keep trying. Call the FOIA contact. I actually stopped selling on ebay for a month and left the paypal negative until they fixed it. Appeal it, don't let the scammer win.  FOIA will give you the info.

Message 47 of 76
latest reply

"... Paypal did take the money from me but I provided the info I received from the FOIA request with detailed tracking and they returned the chargeback. ..."

Was there a deadline after the original "final decison" before you couldn't do the followup appeal thing, an appeal window?  I read something in this stuff about 10 days but that might have been the first deadline to originally respond with "evidence".  The reply from the USPS FOIA request was pretty fast.  Once it was passed along, who knows.

Message 48 of 76
latest reply

I sent the "buyer" a polite email, saying the chargeback must have been some kind of honest mistake because the item was delivered to their address of record 6 months ago.  I've not heard anything back from him.  🙂

I was sweating a possible appeal deadline but if the appeal window is open-ended, no problem.  I should be grateful their "final decision" might not be that final if I can produce more records.  I was surprised the USPS FOIA request was answered as fast as it was, even if only to pass it on.  At least they let me know what was going on.

Message 49 of 76
latest reply

It's 10 days later and I'm still waiting on a government response.  The original FOIA submission is still open and a polite voicemail I left with the secondary government contact is unreturned.

Message 50 of 76
latest reply

It's now going on 3 weeks with no response.  The original FOIA ticket is still open.  The phone is unanswered.  Polite voicemails left go unreturned.

Message 51 of 76
latest reply

yeah. This is ebay and paypal. 

Is it possible to ask buyer sign up outside contract/agreement after purchasing the item that if they abuse the system, they agree to get sued.

Message 52 of 76
latest reply

It's now going on 4 weeks.  Still waiting on a response from the USPS FOIA.  Phone calls to the secondary contact go unreturned.

Message 53 of 76
latest reply

You know, we used to debate the merits of putting additional insurance on pricey items, but now it seems that the option of 'enhanced tracking' might end up being our only defense against the scam of these buyers using that 2 month window of opportunity.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 54 of 76
latest reply

Curious, the letter says item sent to Costa Mesa which is, not all that close to the Burbank Airport, about 55 miles away.

krazzykats_0-1592237663954.jpeg

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 55 of 76
latest reply

Pardon me.  It's the John Wayne Airport between Irvine and Costa Mesa.  Not Burbank.

Message 56 of 76
latest reply

welcome to the united states where everyone is viewed as a mug to be ripped off without complaint......

Message 57 of 76
latest reply

I'm rooting for you. Keep us posted. This entire situation has me sick for us sellers of goods. I'm assuming he didn't leave any feedback on your page about the item? That would obviously help your case out as well.
Message 58 of 76
latest reply

I left the feedback I almost always leave - "thank you".

No, the buyer left nothing.  I'm sure this all worked out as he planned.

As a matter of principle I'll take this as far as it will go.  If I can finally squeeze the delivery confirmation records out of the USPS and paypal refuses the appeal I'll pursue other avenues.

Message 59 of 76
latest reply

Hey, I got a response from Washington DC and the USPS.

"... The tracking information for item 9405 xxxxx 7008 was not found in the Product
Tracking and Reporting System. Please note that PTR retains item data for a period of time
ranging from 120 days to 2 years depending on the product purchased. Tracking information for
the item was found in the PTR Data Warehouse and details about the record are attached. The
item was addressed to 250 xxxxx Ave. The final physical scan of the item was Delivered in
Costa Mesa CA 92626 on 11/21/2019 at 1:47 PM. ..."

With the complete tracking record - including delivery confirmation - attached.

Message 60 of 76
latest reply