cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got a chargeback notice from paypal for a 6 month old transaction.

A buyer from almost 6 months ago (2 weeks short of 6 months, actually) has filed "item not received" with paypal. I got an email from paypal but there's nothing more on the paypal website (on my account page) I can find.

Yeah, he got it. The item ($160) was delivered long ago. The transaction information has rolled off and disappeared. I'm not even positive what the item was (I think it was probably a pair of Streamlight flashlights). I don't have a tracking number or other proof of delivery but I assume paypal has access to that, somehow.

What happens at the 6 month line? I assume the "buyer" has his eyes on both ebay and the paypal deadlines for filing complaints and he's trying to play both to his advantage?

It seems like every 3rd or 4th ebay transaction becomes a needless PITA.

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

I'd like to say that paypal has the worst customer service in the world.

I can't say that though.  It's more accurate to say they don't have any customer support at all.

Message 61 of 76
latest reply

The reply from paypal ...

Thank you for that information and sorry for the delay. I really appreciate you for contacting us today regarding on your issue and you're trying to send us the documents to file an appeal. But I would like to inform you that this chargeback case was already has been decided by the buyer's financial institution and it's already been closed. It's really impossible for PayPal to file an appeal because we don't have any other option to re-open this one for you. I completely understand your situation since you're doing a good business practice to your customers but as much as I wanted to help you, my hands are tied and there's no other option that I can provide anymore. You really need to take this case outside of PayPal and take legal actions. You can file a police report or any agencies that can give you other options to file a lawsuit against the customer if necessary. You may also try to contact the buyer if they're still responding to and make negotiations if it will be possible.

Message 62 of 76
latest reply

Or how about Paypal just paying you the amount since they allowed the chargeback to happen in the first place.
Message 63 of 76
latest reply

It's pretty clear their seller protection policy is pure **bleep**.

Message 64 of 76
latest reply

Yup, this case they should have made an exception for. You did everything that was asked of you. Did you ever try to contact the buyer and tell them that the chargeback was for a legit item you sold him and now with proof of delivery.
Message 65 of 76
latest reply

I sent the buyer a polite email advising him a chargeback had been mistakenly made on goods he received last November.  He didn't - as you would expect - reply.

Message 66 of 76
latest reply

I guess your last ditch hope is to threaten to take him to court. idk. I feel terrible for you.
Message 67 of 76
latest reply

No, I don't think taking someone to court over $150 is much of an option.

This will certainly end my paypal account and my ebay days are probably also finished.

Message 68 of 76
latest reply

While I don't particularly care for getting robbed from 1000s of miles away, the idea that ebay and paypal are both thumbing their noses at me while I'm paying them significant fees for the privilege is too much to accept.

Message 69 of 76
latest reply

Add user donavapha-0 to your blocked bidder list.

Message 70 of 76
latest reply

Have you thought about contacting the other sellers that are listed on his feedback page to see if it was done to them?

Message 71 of 76
latest reply

I emailed his recent sellers.  One responded with some questions but the others didn't reply.

Message 72 of 76
latest reply

This type of problem should disappear by the end of this year as eBay is moving sellers to Managed Payments. With Managed Payments, the buyer does not have 6 months to file a dispute. They can still do a chargeback but eBay keeps far more records than what PayPal does. They can forward all the information they have to the financial institution which means they can send them a screen shot of the item being delivered.

This should quell this problem for future sellers, especially any that are now in Managed Payments.
Message 73 of 76
latest reply

after 75 days here is what I lost

Dear ......

As you know, we have been working with the buyer's credit card issuer to dispute the chargeback detailed below.

• Buyer's name: Rocky Demetro
  • Buyer's email: rockydemich@gmail.com
  • Buyer's transaction ID: 9R371020RT8057349
  • Your transaction ID: 01866834JP979283K
  • Transaction date: 26 May 2020
  • Transaction amount: 1.396,80 USD
  • Disputed amount: 1.343,92 USD

The credit card issuer decided the chargeback in the buyer's favor as the buyer met the card issuer's requirements.

Although we cannot dispute this transaction any further, we encourage you to contact your buyer directly to reach a resolution.

Thank you for your patience during this process. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Message 74 of 76
latest reply

Yes, clearly the buyer is trying to get money within the 6 months.  If you go into your paypal, you can look up transactions by date (you can even go into last year), and click on the transaction. It will show your tracking info and delivery confirmation for each item you sold.  This will work if you did purchase your label thru eBay or entered the tracking on your own.  

Message 75 of 76
latest reply