cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got a chargeback notice from paypal for a 6 month old transaction.

A buyer from almost 6 months ago (2 weeks short of 6 months, actually) has filed "item not received" with paypal. I got an email from paypal but there's nothing more on the paypal website (on my account page) I can find.

Yeah, he got it. The item ($160) was delivered long ago. The transaction information has rolled off and disappeared. I'm not even positive what the item was (I think it was probably a pair of Streamlight flashlights). I don't have a tracking number or other proof of delivery but I assume paypal has access to that, somehow.

What happens at the 6 month line? I assume the "buyer" has his eyes on both ebay and the paypal deadlines for filing complaints and he's trying to play both to his advantage?

It seems like every 3rd or 4th ebay transaction becomes a needless PITA.

Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

@binderzz wrote:

I thought the buyer had filed the dispute with paypal but I read the email too fast.

The website dispute form actually says, "The buyer has filed a case with their financial institution for a payment of $161.63 USD you received on Nov 17, 2019. We've opened a case on May 4, 2020 so that we can collect more info and resolve this with the buyer's financial institution."

If that's an Unauthorized Use claim, you might need to only provide proof of shipping, not proof of delivery. Keep us updated on this, please!

Message 16 of 76
latest reply

I've had this happen before. I called Paypal up and they said chargeback cases take a long time to close, but there was nothing for me to do because it was delivered and I sent to proper address. Paypal no longer places funds on hold on my account when disputes arise, so it didn't impact me. 

Paypal resolved it, but it took like 50-60 to close. I think sometimes buyers see the charge on their card and don't recognize it, so they open with no ill intentions. I would just give whatever info Paypal wants and try not to worry about it. If you followed the rules, you will be protected:)

Message 17 of 76
latest reply

From the paypal buyer protection terms of service thing for a buyer claiming "item not received".  The 2nd screenshot listing the seller protection requirements for establishing proof of shipment or delivery ...

5-4-2020 11-54-03 PM.jpg5-4-2020 11-54-26 PM.jpg

Message 18 of 76
latest reply

The postmaster says 120 days archived is it for items the carrier picked up off the front porch.

He seemed to try and say items mailed over the counter at the post office might do better but I'm not sure he really knew what he was talking about.  He ran the tracking number and came up with the same thing I did - nothing.  He didn't seem that interested and - speaking from behind an annoying plastic curtain they put up for virus protection - he didn't seem to want to do much more.

Message 19 of 76
latest reply

Sorry about that.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 20 of 76
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:
That means it will cost you an extra $20 for the chargeback fee.

The $20 is charged if the seller does not refund on their own or if they wait for a decision and then lose. It is not charged for every chargeback.

Message 21 of 76
latest reply

Probably the most irritating part of this is that ebay has said before they keep "everything" forever.  While I can only look at past sales for 60 days back before they age out and roll off into the ether, ebay clearly still has the item archived with pertinent information like the consignee and address and most of all ... the DELIVERED notation.

Message 22 of 76
latest reply

Quite a while ago I read somewhere they would not accept a screen shot of the tracking showing delivery.  It has to be accessible online.  Am I mistaken?

Joe

Message 23 of 76
latest reply

Ebay has the exact same tracking information USPS had, only stored on the ebay order details page.

I can only see the ebay sold item order details for 60 days but ebay has said before they keep the information "forever".  I don't believe the 4 month USPS archiving means much as long as the ebay copy is still "there" forever only lacking special permission to get at.

If this goes against me, I'm gonna be pizzed.  I won't be cheated.  I won't be stolen from.

Message 24 of 76
latest reply

It's been six months and one day since the original purchase/sale.  The item was shipped the next day and delivered Priority Mail two or three days later to the address of record.  I will not be stolen from.  I will not be scammed.  I will no longer sell on ebay and I will no longer have anything to do with paypal.  The buyer has a collision repair business near the Burbank airport and if he thinks I'll accept this quietly, he is sadly mistaken.

5-19-2020 1-53-21 PM.jpg

Message 25 of 76
latest reply

It's safe to say the ebay and paypal seller protection stuff is **bleep**.  It doesn't matter if you jump through all their stupid hoops or not, the so-called protection from thieves is nonsense.  On the bright side, a whole new world of embezzlement just opened up for me and you'd all do well to add me to your blocked bidder list because the INFs from binderzz will start getting filed in 5 months and 2 weeks from any "sales" ... FREE stuff for me, you lose.

Message 26 of 76
latest reply

I never typed "bleep".  I said b-o-l-l-o-c-k-s.

Message 27 of 76
latest reply

It has been said that Paypal will only accept online proof of delivery from the Post Office, which is only available for 90 days after shipment.  I wish you well but I don't see how you could possibly win this one.  Be prepared to file mail fraud charges. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 28 of 76
latest reply

I sold a $2000 item several months ago.  I jumped through the usual hoops, UPS with signature delivery etc.  Now I get to sweat that one out knowing the buyer can simply file INR and get a full refund once the online delivery information expires.

Message 29 of 76
latest reply

I'm done with both ebay and paypal.  I won't fund my paypal account to cover the -$170 balance.  I won't be stolen from.

Message 30 of 76
latest reply