cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Sincerely Despise This Platform as a Seller

Yesterday, I listed a lot of old Pokemon cards which were purchased less than 2 hours later. The buyer then began to bombard me with messages asking questions about the listing (questions which were all answered in the description) and requesting additional photos after I had already packed them all up in the shipping box. I acquiesced, sent him more photos and answered all his questions, but he just kept going and going. I spent the entirety of Memorial Day trying to satisfy this customer. He eventually requested that I ship the most valuable cards in special sleeves that I don't possess, in an attempt to change the terms of the transaction AFTER the point of sale (again, the listing clearly stated how all the cards would be packaged and shipped).

I then noticed the seller was in a different country (Australia), and I do not ship internationally. He circumvented this by using a 3rd party shipper with a U.S. address. This, along with him waiting to ask questions and make requests AFTER the point of sale, made me very suspicious, and after consulting eBay's own policy, which clearly states that if a buyer attempts to change the terms of a transaction after the point of sale the seller has every right to cancel a transaction, I did just that. I relisted the item, and it was purchased again soon afterwards (more on that below).

The original purchaser left negative feedback on my account regarding the cancelled sale. That is extremely unfair. I did put in a request to have the buyer's negative feedback removed and outlined precisely what I've typed here, but within 30 minutes the request had been denied, despite the fact the buyer literally admits in his negative feedback that he waited until AFTER the purchase to ask any questions or make any requests, and despite the fact that his correspondence proves he attempted to change the terms of the transaction after the point of sale. This has really upset me, because I take pride in my reputation on this platform.

As stated above, I relisted the lot in question, and within hours I had received two messages about it...from Australians on low-feedback accounts. My store is very, very small and receives very, very little traffic, and it seems very suspicious that I would receive multiple inquires from the same foreign country on the same day regarding the same item that had just been relisted. Furthermore, it turns out the eventual buyer...wait for it...is an Australian using a 3rd party shipper with a U.S. address. I immediately messaged the buyer and flat-out asked if he was the same person on a sockpuppet account, and he said no, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and ship his purchase. I've done everything properly on my end from the start, yet here I am with a duly unjust negative feedback hit and a sneaking suspicion that I'm being scammed by a sociopath. It was crystal clear the original buyer was never going to be satisfied with the transaction no matter what I said or did or how many hoops I jumped through, and I cannot help but worry that the 2nd buyer is the same individual on another account planning to hit me with a 2nd negative feedback on the same box of merchandise. It really sucks that I don't have any further recourse here, and I'm seriously considering moving my business to a platform that actually looks out for its sellers, and does not turn a blind eye to manipulative and downright crooked buyers.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No one is forcing you to sell on ebay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 61 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

I know you're not going to like me saying this, but this is just my opinion.

First...

I don't think you were justified canceling the sale.

I understand you don't ship internationally.

The buyer didn't ask you to ship it internationally.

A foreign buyer with a US address or US freight forwarder is quite common. 

I ship to them all the time without any problem.

Your buyer was understandably disappointed and left you that negative feedback because of it.

I think the buyer was justified leaving you that feedback and apparently ebay does too.

Secondly...

When you reply to negative feedback, you have to remember that future potential buyers will be reading it.

Calling a buyer a scammer or a idiot is not such a good ides.

Sorry this happened to you.

Judging by your other feedback, you are an excellent seller.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 114
latest reply

If you cancel citing something is wrong with the buyer's address their ability to leave negative feedback is diminished.  

Message 3 of 114
latest reply

In a nutshell, everything would have probably worked out fine if you would have shipped the items to your buyer that paid you for them. It was a US address. All of that drama, lost sales and feedback and all, would not have happened.

Message 4 of 114
latest reply

Yes, eBay will side with the buyer because when you cancelled the sale, you upset a buyer.  Don't be surprised if you were still charged the final value fee.  It was a paid order.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 114
latest reply

You had EVERY right to cancel the sales. The time to change the conditions STATED in the auction,and the request for more information about the items, is BEFORE the bleeping auction ENDS!
Not after!
And trying to circumvent my policy of shipping only to the US by using a "forwarding" service just gets your bid cancelled, and you're instantly put on my BB list.
Seems an awful lot of sellers are willing to ignore Ebay's own rules and policies when it comes to "making a sale".
Not us. You want a special packing method or a different shipping service other than the Post Office as STATED in the auction?? You ask BEFORE the sale.
Not after. That's not the way it works.
Your "buyer" probably would have just filed a NAD, you would have received a few of your cards back as he kept the more valuable ones, and you would have been out of your cards and money.
We're sorry you had to learn a hard lesson. But at least you still had your merchandise to sell again.

Message 6 of 114
latest reply

these kinds of buyer dont deserve the time of day

just tell them that the person who knows about the cards is out of the office

you can just pretend that you are an assiatant.it might work

no way am I playing 20 questions

I wont do it before the sale and certainly not after the sale

no one from ebay is going to waste my time that like

its one of my golden rules...

sorry this happened to you

@erzengelb 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 7 of 114
latest reply

I would have contacted eBay by requesting a callback.  Would have explained the situation to them and see what they tell me.  If they say it is ok to cancel, then they will back you up and protect you, probably even from negative feedback.  As far as the negative feedback goes, you can put in a response (keep it short) so potential buyers can hear your side of the story.  Don't sweat it and move on.

Message 8 of 114
latest reply

I don't recommend canceling a sale without reporting the buyer.  It's a 2 part exercise.  In the reporting process you have the opportunity to tell your side.   You have to pick a reason for the report and might not find a perfect fit but report anyway and do so for more than one reason.  Remember to use the email reference numbers on the bottom of any emails from the buyer.  

Message 9 of 114
latest reply

@joliztoyco wrote:

You had EVERY right to cancel the sales. The time to change the conditions STATED in the auction,and the request for more information about the items, is BEFORE the bleeping auction ENDS!
Not after!
And trying to circumvent my policy of shipping only to the US by using a "forwarding" service just gets your bid cancelled, and you're instantly put on my BB list.
Seems an awful lot of sellers are willing to ignore Ebay's own rules and policies when it comes to "making a sale".
Not us. You want a special packing method or a different shipping service other than the Post Office as STATED in the auction?? You ask BEFORE the sale.
Not after. That's not the way it works.
Your "buyer" probably would have just filed a NAD, you would have received a few of your cards back as he kept the more valuable ones, and you would have been out of your cards and money.
We're sorry you had to learn a hard lesson. But at least you still had your merchandise to sell again.

The buyer using a forwarding service is not a valid reason to cancel a paid sale. If you wish to cancel bids and block before purchase however, you're well within your rights to do that. 

Asking for things not included in the listing is a valid reason to cancel a sale. 

Message 10 of 114
latest reply

You are correct. Once the sale is final, there is not much we can do about a buyer deliberately circumventing our US only policy. But they don't get another opportunity.
There is a REASON we ship to the US only.
It's hard enough to get packages shipped across the continental US without worrying about damage and delays. No thanks to an extra 5000 miles or so to heighten the hazards.
And the second is we have zero faith in Ebay's 3rd Party shipping policy. We find it arbitrary and still tilted against the seller.
So we block them.
And yes....changing the conditions with unreasonable demands once the sale is final is a valid reason to cancel it. Per Ebay's own rules.

Message 11 of 114
latest reply

@erzengelb 

Lots of sellers come here and 'vent' about how 'horrible' eBay is, yet they continue to keep listing and selling here. It's as if they never had a 'good' experience with eBay.

Hope things improve for you, whatever your decision.

As the old saying goes "The grass isn't always greener"

Message 12 of 114
latest reply

As soon as read your comment: The buyer then began to bombard me with messages asking questions about the listing (questions which were all answered in the description) and requesting additional photos after I had already packed them all up in the shipping box. It will be nothing but trouble for you. You will probably lose the cards and your money. 

I don't know the value of the order, but I know Pokemon is still hot. Might entertain pick-up only. That is how you weed out the scammers.

Start blocking as you see fit. 

Message 13 of 114
latest reply

You had every right to cancel this sale.  Your response to this buyer was spot on!

Message 14 of 114
latest reply

If you despise this platform as a seller, you should take down the 65 listings that you have up currently.

Message 15 of 114
latest reply