cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a false feedback claim

I received feedback that was inappropriate.  It stated a bag I sold was fake, when #1 they did not have proof, and #2 it was not fake.  I offered to have them return it, but they never responded.   I asked them for a feedback revision and they did not respond.  I asked ebay to step in and remove it as it's not just an opinion it's an offense that is a legal responsibility.  How can I have it removed?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Let it go.

It doesn't affect your rating. Just another weird buyer. Block the buyer.

Responding to the buyer makes it worse. Next time...don't respond to a feedback.

Feedback already got buried from positive feedbacks.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

It's a neutral, not a negative, and it's not going away.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

@jeejeerose1 

It won't be removed.  The comment is a neutral, not a negative.  If the buyer is not happy, recommend they open a SNAD return, pay for the label and see if they'll agree.  Unfortunately,  even the best designer bags that look 100% authentic can be fake.  There is no way really anyone who isn't professional authenticator can make that claim and even the authenticators get stumped from time to time.  Sorry for your frustration.  

Happy Selling

PS Nice shop!

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Hi @jeejeerose1 

I see by your profile you have been selling for a very long time and you have my full respect for doing that.  I too have had a few Neutral Feedbacks that took a year to roll off the main Feedback page.

I have seen this situation play out many times and the issue starts with the No returns accepted setting used on listings.  Buyers who think they cannot return something have few choices on what to do if they are not satisfied with an item.   They may think the only recourse is to leave less than positive Feedback.   They may not know that eBay has several return claim reasons that forces Sellers to pay the return shipping cost and then refund when they get the item back.   If that Feedback does not violate eBay policy it will remain on your account.

I switched to Free 30 day returns years ago and my return rate has remained very low.  I have only had to use the full benefit of eBay's Seller protections on a few bogus returns and on a few instances the less than Positive Feedback on those transactions was removed automatically.  Seller protections | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.  I have thought of changing to accept returns, but I see how Buyers take advantage of that and it hurts the Sellers that only sell part time and would defeat the purpose of extra income.  If Ebay came up with a more fair way and clearer guidelines on returns I would try it.  But the fact that the customer did not reach out is a red flag as any Seller would accept a return if the customer was not happy with or without a return policy.  My question is more toward what a Seller can legally accuse a Buyer of without proof?  

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

What can a seller accuse a buyer of?  Nothing.  Don't even attempt it (especially in a feedback response).  Either don't reply or be super professional, knowing that you're not talking to that person, but to all your future customers.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.  I actually reached out to the Buyer to pay for the return label but they ghosted me which is odd also.  I would be okay with it if they hadn't made a serious allegation without proof or reaching out for a resolution.   And It's worth the effort to try and get it removed even if the outcome is not what I want. 

Thanks for compliment!   

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Buyers take advantage of Returns through the Money Back Guarantee as an Item Not as Described return, even if you don't accept Returns.  So you might as well just accept Returns.

And you really don't want to go down that road of accusing a buyer of something, especially without proof.  Just put them on your Blocked Buyers List if you think they're shady, and move on.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Buyers are entitled to their opinions. What proof did you have it was authentic? None, right? So it was your opinion it was authentic. How are you entitled to your opinion but not the buyer?

It's a catch 22, and eBay will generally side with a buyer before it will a seller. Welcome to selling and it's pitfalls. 

It's already been ruled in court that consumers who pay for products or services are entitled to share their experince and opinions about it, even if it is negative. Even if they "feel" something that may be untrue. Mad as that may make you, it's your job to accept that and move on. Dwelling and venting will not change anything. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

" And It's worth the effort to try and get it removed...."

No, it isn't worth the effort, because it's not going to be removed.  It's hard enough to get an egregious negative removed, let alone a lukewarm neutral.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

An eBay agent once told me something interesting. Somewhere in Europe, I think I remember the agent say UK, there’s a law that protects sellers (not sure specifically what type of sellers) from defamation. And eBay sellers in that area fall into that category. He specifically said if a seller in that region receives a negative feedback calling him a scam or scammer, eBay has to remove that feedback or comment by law.

Interesting fun fact if it’s true.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Forget about it, block the buyer......and move on.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@jeejeerose1 wrote:

Thank you for the advice.  I have thought of changing to accept returns, but I see how Buyers take advantage of that and it hurts the Sellers that only sell part time and would defeat the purpose of extra income.  If Ebay came up with a more fair way and clearer guidelines on returns I would try it.  But the fact that the customer did not reach out is a red flag as any Seller would accept a return if the customer was not happy with or without a return policy.  My question is more toward what a Seller can legally accuse a Buyer of without proof?  

@jeejeerose1   You are more than welcome.  When eBay first came out with Free 30 day returns many Sellers freaked fearing a flood of returns would happen ... well, the sky didn't fall then and it is not falling now several years down the road ... and that is for all kinds of Sellers, both large and small.  

With regard to your question, " ...  is more toward what a Seller can legally accuse a Buyer of without proof?".  It has absolutely nothing to do with eBay.  It is related solely to the Buyer and whether or not they are honest and feel they have some recourse or not if they do not want or like what they purchased.  I am sure this same conversation gets repeated on Etsy, Amazon, Mercari, Poshmark, Bonanza, Walmart, Target, etc.   It is not the venue, it is the people involved and the perception or understanding Buyers have when they purchase.  Regardless of how much or how little a Seller sells they are still selling Retail.  In the end the choice is yours but keep in mind, we do NOT like seeing people fail or have to struggle in selling here even if it's for a little extra spending cash. 

Returns, items not received, and refunds for buyers | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for the response.  I did already reply to the feedback as I thought I was sending a message to Ebay, lol.  Yes, I'm praying it passes, but it's nice to get it out there for people to see that words do hurt, both businesses and people.  

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.  I do accept returns if the item is not described or damaged, just not for fit or changed mind, and always put in each listing to contact me if they have a question.  

Message 15 of 31
latest reply