cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Cancel Order After Buyer Has Paid (Second Chance)

Hello!

The title is a bit confusing - I couldn't accurately say what I was trying to ask. Basically, I sold an item via auction about 2 weeks ago. The original buyer did not pay, and did not respond to multiple messages I sent him about payment. So, after 6 days, I sold the item to the second-chance buyer, who paid within a day. Problem is, I hadn't used Second-Chance before. I thought that it would automatically cancel the transaction for the first buyer. Well, here I am, two weeks later, and the first buyer just paid me for the item. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to cancel the transaction, as when I go to my sold items page, the only transaction that shows up (regarding this specific item) is the transaction with the second guy. Please advise!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Cancel Order After Buyer Has Paid (Second Chance)

@gmco_recycling wrote:

Basically, I sold an item via auction about 2 weeks ago. The original buyer did not pay, and did not respond to multiple messages I sent him about payment. So, after 6 days, I sold the item to the second-chance buyer, who paid within a day. Problem is, I hadn't used Second-Chance before. I thought that it would automatically cancel the transaction for the first buyer. Well, here I am, two weeks later, and the first buyer just paid me for the item. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to cancel the transaction, as when I go to my sold items page, the only transaction that shows up (regarding this specific item) is the transaction with the second guy. Please advise!

Are you sure the first buyer paid? Is the money in your PayPal account?

Check the filters on your Sold items page. If the transaction still won't show up and you're sure the buyer paid then you may have to call CS. If you go that route make sure CS cancels the order with the first buyer, not the one you shipped to.

You can refund through PayPal but you will not get your eBay fees back that way so it's better to cancel on eBay. You will get an out of stock defect.

Learn more about unpaid items.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

When the first buyer didn't pay, you should have filed the Unpaid Item Dispute.

That alone, would safely (for you) cancel the listing.

Now, after you sold to the 2nd buyer,

you are still obligated to Ship to the first buyer.

If you don't have the item, you have two choices.

Buy the item Quickly from another seller, and use it to ship to your buyer, or

..if you Cancel for "Out of stock", you get a Seriously harmful defect to your account.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@gmco_recycling wrote:

Basically, I sold an item via auction about 2 weeks ago. The original buyer did not pay, and did not respond to multiple messages I sent him about payment. So, after 6 days, I sold the item to the second-chance buyer, who paid within a day. Problem is, I hadn't used Second-Chance before. I thought that it would automatically cancel the transaction for the first buyer. Well, here I am, two weeks later, and the first buyer just paid me for the item. I cannot figure out for the life of me how to cancel the transaction, as when I go to my sold items page, the only transaction that shows up (regarding this specific item) is the transaction with the second guy. Please advise!

Are you sure the first buyer paid? Is the money in your PayPal account?

Check the filters on your Sold items page. If the transaction still won't show up and you're sure the buyer paid then you may have to call CS. If you go that route make sure CS cancels the order with the first buyer, not the one you shipped to.

You can refund through PayPal but you will not get your eBay fees back that way so it's better to cancel on eBay. You will get an out of stock defect.

Learn more about unpaid items.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I actually had opened an unpaid item case. It just didn't cancel the transaction...

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Buy the item Quickly from another seller, and use it to ship to your buyer, or

Good advice, but probably difficult based on what was sold.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@gmco_recycling wrote:

I actually had opened an unpaid item case. It just didn't cancel the transaction...

Did you close the unpaid item case after 4 days or did you leave it hanging open?

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

"Good advice, but probably difficult based on what was sold ."

----------

Yes

after I posted, I noticed the seller sold unique items.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@gmco_recycling wrote:

It doesn't cancel until you close it when the time has elapsed to be able to do so.

You can open a dispute 48 hrs after the end of the listing, and you can close it 96 hrs after that, if the buyer hasn't paid.  IF the buyer has paid in that time, which they can do, then you can ship when you are told it ok  to ship and to the address on the payment.  If they don't pay, you close the dispute; that gives the buyer a strike, gets you your fees back, and frees the item to be relisted.

That eliminates the possibility of your situation occurring.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

You might want to set up automatic unpaid item manager so they will close on their own and you don't have to worry about forgetting.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the help all! I was able to call customer service and they were able to help me get the problem resolved. In the future, I'll be sure to actually close the unpaid item case manually! Thanks again!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@gmco_recycling wrote:

Thanks for the help all! I was able to call customer service and they were able to help me get the problem resolved. In the future, I'll be sure to actually close the unpaid item case manually! Thanks again!

Please share how they resolved the problem for you.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The item wasn't showing up in your solds because you had an open unpaid item case. You would have been able to find it through the resolution center, but you would not have been able to cancel without the assistance of CS. Once an unpaid item case is open you cannot cancel the order. CS does have the capability as you have just experienced.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I believe what happened is I must have moved the item (the sale to the first buyer) to my deleted folder after I sold it to the second buyer. Basically, I called CS and they had me refund the buyer, and they credited my account with the eBay fee as well. Otherwise, they did not do anything else, but said that I did not have to do anything further.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

You will probably get an out of stock defect on your account.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@gmco_recycling wrote:

I believe what happened is I must have moved the item (the sale to the first buyer) to my deleted folder after I sold it to the second buyer. Basically, I called CS and they had me refund the buyer, and they credited my account with the eBay fee as well. Otherwise, they did not do anything else, but said that I did not have to do anything further.

I asked because ebay reps aren't always the best at preventing a defect to occur.  They may "fix" the issue with the buyer but not the problem it may cause you.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply