cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help request #2...due to an error on my part will need to initiate refund (when it rains, it pours)

This situation has been on the back burner for 24 hours, but I want to be ready for action once the Buyer makes a final decision as to the outcome.  Long story short:  Buyer purchased a bundle of limited edition cosmetic items.  Somehow, even with OCD tendencies, I mis-listed the color name of a lip gloss.  Yesterday she sent me one of those dreaded "Buyer has a question...." messages.  She was really polite in her explanation, and asked me to look into a possible mix-up, and included a picture of the item in question.  Something about the whole thing made me go, "Hmmmm, what's really going on here?"  But her feedback show no 'signs' either way, and she didn't come across as a scammer.

Bowing to my better angels, being Christmas and all, I sent her a very professional letter of apology, explaining that I am trying to find the item she actually thought she was receiving (today after many calls and much research I learned that it no longer exists...she doesn't know that yet) and would send it promptly if I could find one.  OR, second option was a complete refund for the inconvenience (the items are needed for some production her company is doing and the package was sent to the actual company in New York city).  Since I now know that I cannot give her the replacment for what I thought I had sent, I will have to let her know.  Oddly enough, she has not yet responded to my original message from last night.

Normally I take dozens of photos from every angle, including color identification tags on the bottom of products...I did that for all the items in this bundle, except for the one she claims is incorrect.  I did notice a partial serial code  in my pics, and her pic did not have it, and the color seemed a bit diffferent....but it could be the lighting.  So I'm ready to take my first hit on a potential refund full refund...pending her agreement on that.   I am unsure of the protocol so it can all be done without incurring a defect.  She has not asked for any discounts, only that I check my mistake to see if I have what she paid for and expected to receive.  So, next steps.  Anyone?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Help request #2...due to an error on my part will need to initiate refund (when it rains, it pou

That's exactly what I would do too.  Ebay allows for sellers that handle problems with their shipped items to not be given a defect if they take care of the issue.  This takes care of the issue.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Re: Help request #2...due to an error on my part will need to initiate refund (when it rains, it pou

@lintbrush* wrote:

What I would do?

Tell the buyer in order to process her refund, she would need to open a return request for Not As Described.  

You will then be able to issue the refund (with or without requiring a return) through the claim.  Once you've done so, the case will close, your see fees will be refunded, and you will not get a defect.  

@lintbrush*

Inotherwords, the Buyer initiates the refund, not the Seller.  I was checking out the drop-down options on the order last night and saw the 'cancel order' option, but didn't do anything.  Waited to see you you all had to say.

THANK YOU so much!

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

That's exactly what I would do too.  Ebay allows for sellers that handle problems with their shipped items to not be given a defect if they take care of the issue.  This takes care of the issue.

@fern*wood

Just wondering....if the Seller initiates the return, do they acquire a defect?  As said, I checked out options in the drop-down menu and only saw 'cancel order', then an arrow to refund money.  Didn't do it though.

THANKS for your help!!

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@rustictrollop wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

@fern*wood

Just wondering....if the Seller initiates the return, do they acquire a defect?  As said, I checked out options in the drop-down menu and only saw 'cancel order', then an arrow to refund money.  Didn't do it though.

THANKS for your help!!

The only option available to you is the cancellation.  Depending on the reason you choose, yes, you can get a defect.  The reasons were posted earlier, and none seem appropriate to me. I think you can click on cancel and read the choses without picking one to see what is available.    There is no return option on your end that I know of.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

@fern*wood

THANKS for your help!!

The only option available to you is the cancellation.  Depending on the reason you choose, yes, you can get a defect.  The reasons were posted earlier, and none seem appropriate to me. I think you can click on cancel and read the choses without picking one to see what is available.    There is no return option on your end that I know of.

@fern*wood

The option that makes the most sense is "Buyer asked to cancel the order".  That sounds like the SAFEST and only real option that would apply to this case....and sounds like the one usually recommended here to NOT incur a defect.  I'm in the process of creating a message asking the Buyer to initiate the SNAD, but she is busy travelling around for Christmas, so she doesn't answer messages quickly.  I'm pretty sure there is also a timeline that she needs to be within to file a SNAD, unless I'm mistaken.  I'd really prefer to handle it all, but am worried about that defect if I do something incorrectly.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

@rustictrollop wrote:

I mis-listed the color name of a lip gloss. 

{snip}

Bowing to my better angels, being Christmas and all, I sent her a very professional letter of apology

If Christmas or  better angels were involved, you would given an immediate refund AND tried to locate and ship the item the customer thought she was getting. 

IMHO what you described was run-of-the-mill customer service that any seller who made a mistake should be doing. 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@rustictrollop

Cancellations are meant to be used before an order is shipped.

Once the order has shipped, it is the buyer who needs to initiate the return/refund request.

Defects are only issued if you do not handle the request within the allotted timeframe - not simply because the request is opened.

A blind refund (through PayPal) is supposed to result in a defect and doesn't get your selling fees credited.

A cancellation without a request from the buyer is also supposed to result in a defect.  eBay sees it as seller non-perfomance.

If you choose to cancellation (due to not being able to fulfil the order according to the listing), it results in a defect.

Just ask your buyer to initiate the return request and that as soon as you get it, you'll issue a refund without requiring a return.  It's such an easy process and not one to be feared.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

I mis-listed the color name of a lip gloss. 

{snip}

Bowing to my better angels, being Christmas and all, I sent her a very professional letter of apology

If Christmas or  better angels were involved, you would given an immediate refund AND tried to locate and ship the item the customer thought she was getting. 

IMHO what you described was run-of-the-mill customer service that any seller who made a mistake should be doing. 

@luckythewinner

I DID TRY, for two days to locate the item for the customer.  Unfortunately it no longer exists!  I did offer her that AND a refund in my first message to her, and she has been extremely nice and thankful for my assistance.  Which is why I must now do the refund.  I actually wanted to do the refund a couple of days ago, but came onto this Board in the hope that someone could walk me through the procedure so that I could do it without needing the Buyer to initiate the process.  Which is my main question at this moment...do I use the drop down menu on the order to "cancel at the Buyers request' then proceed to the refund.  Just want to do it correctly, and quickly, so as not to incur a defect.

My message to her to initiate a SNAD is ready to send, but I would happily save her that step if I can do the entire thing myself!  That is why I came here first....rather than call a CSR.  But I realize how busy everyone is pre-Christmas Eve, so answers are a bit slower to come by.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

@rustictrollop

Cancellations are meant to be used before an order is shipped.

Once the order has shipped, it is the buyer who needs to initiate the return/refund request.

Defects are only issued if you do not handle the request within the allotted timeframe - not simply because the request is opened.

A blind refund (through PayPal) is supposed to result in a defect and doesn't get your selling fees credited.

A cancellation without a request from the buyer is also supposed to result in a defect.  eBay sees it as seller non-perfomance.

If you choose to cancellation (due to not being able to fulfil the order according to the listing), it results in a defect.

Just ask your buyer to initiate the return request and that as soon as you get it, you'll issue a refund without requiring a return.  It's such an easy process and not one to be feared.

@lintbrush*

THANK YOU so much!    I have that exact message ready to sent to the Buyer, as I am most anxious to get her a refund as quickly as possible.  It's the very least I can do for her being so pleasant and gracious.  Will do it right away!

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@rustictrollop,

I agree with lintbrush, just message the buyer and tell her to open an SNAD return claim, and that you won't require her to return that you'll simply refund asap.  I think your buyer will be pleased with that solution, and that is good of you as a seller to offer that in order to keep it easy/kind to the buyer.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

This situation doesnt apply
He is not canceling a sale but responding to a return - there will be no defect UNLESS the buyer files a SNAD and the seller does nothing. There is NO DEFECT in this situation.
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

I don't think Natalie was even a color of this stuff

I think the buyer is playing you

I would have offered a partial refund of $5 or had her ship it back

Can you post the photo she sent?

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@ldeehan-2012 wrote:

I don't think Natalie was even a color of this stuff

I think the buyer is playing you

I would have offered a partial refund of $5 or had her ship it back

Can you post the photo she sent?

@gone_4_good

Natalie was actually a legit Stila color...a very popular one at that.  It was listed on the back of the original promo box that was included in the purchase.  I contacted a few cosmetics managers of local stores that carry Stila product and they confirmed that it was discontinued, and indeed rare.  The buyer also knew this, which was why she/her company purchased the bundled based on acquiring that particular color of gloss for a production shoot they were doing.  Unfortunately the oversight was mine (despite any minor doubts I may have had originally), and the buyer kept thanking me for being so understanding about the situation, and was so professional that I felt it very important to respond in kind.

Anyway, the refund has been done and the case is now closed.  The buyer wrote a nice message to eBay when she filed the claim.  For which I am thankful.  It could have been a lot worse.  Since the items sold were a promo gift, the only money really lost was for the shipping cost.  It was much easier to do it this way than to try and barter a discount or deal with paying extra for return shipping.  Most important thing is that the buyer is satisfied, and I learned an important lesson or three.

And as always, I am thankful and grateful for the folks in this community who stepped up to give me some really great advice.  Cheers and Happy Holidays to ALL!!

Message 28 of 28
latest reply