cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POD item variations and free listings limit (with eBay store)

I have a basic store with 250 free listings monthly. We mostly sell print-on-demand products. Yesterday while listing, I realized we had gone over the 250 unexpectedly, and after looking into it, it's evidently due to the variations in each product. So for example, I put a quantity of 10 mugs but because there were 4 variations, it ended up being 40 products.

Is that definitely the problem? And if so, I don't suppose I'd get my free listings back by revising and reducing the quantity on each? The problem is, I'm only going to have more and more products as time goes on, and because the quantity is actually endless, I don't want to have to go in and relist every time one sells.

Does anyone have guidance for me in this situation? Thank you! 🙂

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I think your mug listings are where the problem is at. You show you have 395 items listed for sale,but only have 323 listings I think when you offer a mug with a selection box one size is 10 oz. the other size is 11 oz. ebay considers that two listings...

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I'd pick the popular size and stick with that also you have a 150 free auctions a month so take 37 items each week priced at one bid one kill in action format so you don't leave anything on the table unused at the end of the month...

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

A Variations listing counts as one listing and uses only one of your free insertions. Also a multi-item listing counts as only one insertion.  

When a Good Until Canceled listing rolls over every 30 days, it will use up one of your free insertions; I think that's where your 250 went.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. The difference would be 72, and I have way more than 72 variations, though.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the auction option!

I don't understand this, though: "take 37 items each week priced at one bid one kill in action format"

Could you clarify? 🙂

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your input. I guess I don't understand what good GTC is, then, if it relists every 30 days. Well, that explains it at least. Thanks again! 🙂

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

GTC, good till cancelled, means that the listing will renew every 30 days unless you cancel it. It's good for listings that you don't plan to end. 

You can call me Tony
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

I'd pick the popular size and stick with that also you have a 150 free auctions a month so take 37 items each week priced at one bid one kill in action format so you don't leave anything on the table unused at the end of the month...

Actually a basic store gets 250 FP and 250 auctions nowadays, so OP could run 63 (give or take) auctions a month

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

If variations aren't the problem are you using good until canceled?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@burkeandbunny wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the auction option!

I don't understand this, though: "take 37 items each week priced at one bid one kill in action format"

Could you clarify? 🙂

one bid one kill means list it at a starting price you'd be happy with if (as often happens these days) you only get one bid.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

burke one bid one kill is you put the item in auction for exactly what you'd list it for in fixed price and wait for one bid. Since you get 250 auctions a month that would be 63 auctions a week. Once you hit that 63 item count you take the oldest item listed in auction format list it in your store fixed price and add a new item into the auction mix....

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@burkeandbunny wrote:

I have a basic store with 250 free listings monthly. We mostly sell print-on-demand products. Yesterday while listing, I realized we had gone over the 250 unexpectedly, and after looking into it, it's evidently due to the variations in each product. So for example, I put a quantity of 10 mugs but because there were 4 variations, it ended up being 40 products.

Is that definitely the problem? And if so, I don't suppose I'd get my free listings back by revising and reducing the quantity on each? The problem is, I'm only going to have more and more products as time goes on, and because the quantity is actually endless, I don't want to have to go in and relist every time one sells.

Does anyone have guidance for me in this situation? Thank you! 🙂

I do not think your problem is in variations.  If I go to your store and change the setting to show 192 listings per page (bottom left area) I am seeing more than one full page of individual listings.  It just appears you are listing more items than you thought.

It would be important for you moving forward to know what your selling limits are.  If you are using the seller hub, which I strongly suggest you do, on the overview page you can see all your limits in one area.  Keep an eye on this as you begin to create more and more listings.

Variations do not count as individual listings.  You can add any amount to your variations and still only use one active listing.  An active listing has one listing number regardless how many variations or multiples of those variations you have in that listing.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

While variations may not impact listing limits per se, they can impact the # of items allowed to be listed.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@burkeandbunny

This has been posted before, free listing count being off.

Store owners would list an item and boom, used up a bunch of free ones.

The thing with ebay glitches, is they are not across the board.

A year ago there was a zombie sold item bug.

Things that had sold a year ago would pop back up as active.

Two years ago, my store had 101 items.

But when I looked with "sock monkey" eyes, there were only 100

I just assumed it was item roll over.  nope

It took me two days to find the item listing.

It took me to ebay Canada... say what...

I looked at shipping, and it was not in Canada.

Did not ship to Canada, and did not ship to the states.

Or in fact any other country on the planet.

So for a year, I had a listing that no one could see.

( when you block a country they can't see it)

ebay... new day... new glitch

Message 15 of 16
latest reply