cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else had their 100% positive feedback rating ruined by one person?

I've been on Ebay since April 2007 with a 100% feedback, that is untill today when a customer out of retaliation decided to leave me a negative feedback because I wouldn't accept a return. I wouldn't accept the return because the measurements of the item were clearly listed in the description and also it says in the returns section that I do not accept returns. My feedback score is now 98.4%. Can 1 person really have that much say in your feedback, especially when I have had years of positive feedback!?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Has anyone else had their 100% positive feedback rating ruined by one person?

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Here's the difference in philosophy as far as I see it.

I see feedback as advertising. It reflects who I am as a person and how I treat people.

You see this feedback as a way to punish the buyer and warn other people who just so happen to be your competitors. Who won't even see the feedback until it's too late.

Personally I think future potential buyers are more important than my competitors.

That's how I see it in a nutshell.

Well that's not judgmental at all.  Is that really how you want to treat people?

I'm a punisher and you're the queen of light?    

How I see it is.... get ready....

I'm honest.   You're not.    

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

Re: Has anyone else had their 100% positive feedback rating ruined by one person?

@webwanna wrote:

I've never had a negative as a seller.

Saying "I'm sorry this didn't fit but the measurements were in the listing" is not an admission of guilt. It is an admission of being a sympathetic human being.

You are wrong.  Apologizing is expressing regret for something that one has done wrong.  "I'm sorry" is an apology.  

& why do you want to sympathize with someone who is trying to unfairly destroy your livelihood?   Are you kidding me?  Is that really what you are recommending this seller do?  

People often times make recommendations on these boards that they themselves would never actually follow.  I suspect if you did ever receive an UNFAIR negative there is no way you would actually respond with "I'm sorry..."

I don't know....I would read that response as..." Sorry you were too large to fit in this item when the measurements were clearly in the listing..."

Or " I'm sorry you tried to stuff 10lbs of *Bleep* in the 5lb bag you purchased..."

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

@webwanna wrote:

I've never had a negative as a seller.

Saying "I'm sorry this didn't fit but the measurements were in the listing" is not an admission of guilt. It is an admission of being a sympathetic human being.

You are wrong.  Apologizing is expressing regret for something that one has done wrong.  "I'm sorry" is an apology.  

& why do you want to sympathize with someone who is trying to unfairly destroy your livelihood?   Are you kidding me?  Is that really what you are recommending this seller do?  

People often times make recommendations on these boards that they themselves would never actually follow.  I suspect if you did ever receive an UNFAIR negative there is no way you would actually respond with "I'm sorry..."

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

@his_mine_isnowyours wrote:

I don't see what is silly about this question. If one person left all 5 stars, it wouldn't affect the feedback score that drastically. I thought maybe it would be a 99.9% after all its 1 out of 153.

@pantlandia wrote:

Kind of a silly question...100% feedback will always be ruined by one person.

At least until you get to over 10,000 feedback.

152/153 = 99.34%

My comment wasn't about the math involved. It was about the way you worded it. Every single seller who has had their 100% ruined has been by one person. The first person that leaves negative ruins 100% feedback. 

Again, unless the seller has over 10,000 feedback (in the last 12 months), then the percentages keep it at 100% even with one negative...and then it would take two people to ruin 100% feedback.

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

" I thought maybe it would be a 99.9% after all its 1 out of 153."

Do you know how percentages are calculated? Never mind that ebay only counts the last 12 months; do you understand the arithmetic of percentages?
Message 35 of 50
latest reply

Yes that just happened to me!  And the interesting thing is it was on a .99 vintage jewelry lot.  There were 13 pieces and plenty of good photos.  What she got was exactly what she bid on.  She left the following feedback:  "Not happy with the jewelry sent will not buy from this seller again".  She made no attempt at all to contact me before doing this.  She has a feedback of 18 over a 4 year period.  I did some research and found out that a seller who has been winning a bunch of MY auctions just left this buyer excellent feedback.  It's hilarious because that buyer probably bought an item that I sold to this other seller....hahahaha!.  The other seller by the way has left me glowing reviews.  I reported the buyer but won't hold my breath that the feedback will be removed.  It is very unethical for sure and made me extremely angry.  I had a 100% positive rating of 831, and now it's 99.5% because of this troll.

Message 36 of 50
latest reply

I just sent you a private message.

MB

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

I am not sure i follow your logic,

Buyer bought something, it does not fit, Buyer wanted to return you refused.

Buyer un-happy with this particular sale.

Why do you expect to keep 100% positive feedback?

Feedback reflects on how your buyer are generally happy. You have 50 sales, 1 not happy hence you end up with 98% positive feedback.

What else do you expect?

If you get to keep 100% positive that means you have all 50 happy customers which is not true.

Message 38 of 50
latest reply

Yup. 100% Feeedback ruined by one customer.

New buyer. About (8) feedback. Left negative with no contact. I take returns for any reason. Wouldn't reply to any of my messages. Wouldn't even let me try to resolve whatever problem she had??? Still don't know what the problem was?

I just chalk it up to some people are never happy.

Have a great day 🙂
Message 39 of 50
latest reply

Yes, it is difficult to retain 100% when bad feedback visits.  The first one is rather startling and hopefully they are few and far between.

Message 40 of 50
latest reply

OP~~you say the buyer opened a return request.  Did the buyer in fact receive a refund by ebays money back guarantee?  If so you may want to take a look at your seller dashboard and see if ebay gave you an "unresolved case" defect as well.  Only a few of those and ebay will suspend your selling account.

I have a no returns policy as well BUT if a buyer files a return request you can bet your boots I'm going to pay attention.  If I don't see it as worth the return shipping out of my own pocket I will refund and tell them to toss it in their trash or donate it or whatever.  I have one unresolved case from last April and I guarantee I'm not going to take a chance on getting another.  It will fall off soon and there won't be another.  No amount of money is worth getting suspended over.

As for your question~~yes, I did just get a undeserved neg from a buyer who thought a sharp instrument was the correct tool to open up his bubble wrapped package~~he ended up cutting off the power cord and gave me a neg for using too much bubble wrap.  Am I going to respond to the neg?  No.  I'm going to let him look stupid all by himself.  BTW~~I've called ebay 3 times and can't get the neg removed.  They say it's his "opinion".

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

As a buyer, I don't like a seller who writes something that makes him look crazy, but I really want to see a comment that means the seller read the comment and has a reason he didn't fix the mess or why it was the other guys fault. I look at feedback and when they have lots and lots of feedback (like when I buy beads) but when there are lots of negs with no response from the seller, I move on. I get there are crazy buyers and stuff happens, but I would like the seller to act like he cares about the problem enough to respond to the problem, even if he can't fix it etc.

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

Not at all true. I have a strict no return policy. Out of the ten years I have been on eBay I think I have received 3 negatives all from clueless idiots. One was mad because they didn't update their shipping address and somehow that is my fault. Another tried to return brand new gloves one Christmas because he received another pair for Christmas. And the last one mentioned light scuffs on a video game disc even though it was clearly shown in a picture. The best payback was he tried to flip it and got negative feedback. Classic. I never cave into bullies. My record speaks for itself. 

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

YES, EVERYONE that had 100% rating was ruined by a single person.

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

Yes I have had 100 positive feedback as well and I got a negative because the buyer wanted a partial refund of have the value and I wanted it returned for a full refund.  She already gave the item as a Christmas gift.  This is the first time a buyer has refused to return an item.  Now my feedback is 93.8 and I don't think I be able to sell anything. 

Message 45 of 50
latest reply