cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Ebay Gotten Worse Or Better Since Newest CEO?

I remember how bad things got towards the end of Wenig, ebay's previous CEO before Lannone. But since Lannone seems like everything ebay does is in the wrong direction, sellers are treated in many cases far worse and with less "representation", CS has gone bad to incredibly horrid, site itself is a total mess, sales are at all time low, along with traffic. If you read up on Lannone, find he was COO of Walmart and CEO of Sam's Club (really same company) and though was with ebay in the past, doesn't seem to care about the business of marketplace and it's sellers. Knowing Walmart and Sam's has made billions upon billions patronizing China, cheap products and lame service I'm not so surprised ebay has gotten worse in many aspects since Wenig. Sure there is some good he's done in roll as CEO here, just hard to see what they are (for me).

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Has Ebay Gotten Worse Or Better Since Newest CEO?

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@nuclearomen   Good post, good topic.  For almost 40 years I watched as other industries and businesses went under, grew, merged, were acquired, etc.  When I started Selling on eBay and got in to the internet sales "industry" I figured similar things would happen and as I watched eBay I made a prediction in 2016 that in 5 years they would be bought out, acquired or merge with another entity, thus changing the upper management AND the direction of the company.  That 5 year clock is ticking down and in all likely hood I will have been wrong in my prediction from a time standpoint BUT, with all the issues you elude to and many of us have experienced they almost seem ripe for the picking ...

@mr_lincoln I don't want to make it seem like there is blame being placed on CEO or Ebay at all due to things like pandemic, restrictions, lockdowns, shipping issues, or the huge influx of online sales due to all that. Out of anyone's control and no one could had predicted all that had happened. 

With that said, there are many circumstances where I see a huge decline within ebay since Lannone came in. While covid affected the way some things could operate within EB, prime example is CS, that doesn't mean EB couldn't had done more to make it better / easier on sellers and buyers to reach and get results from CS. I blame that on CEO, it's part their job to have a valid and workable CS structure and they have simply failed in every way. They opened more lines of CS and made online chat with CS more widely available, yes, but then they shut down those lines and made it to where the CS "help" is as useless and was trying to contact someone. Reps are not trained to solve issues, they made it so reps only job is take a "report" and forward it to "Correct Dept for Review" - in the meantime, you hear and know nothing of what is going on with your issue and in most cases nothing is done and you spend more time calling and recalling to have some resolve. That's not covid, that's lack of dedication to service your members needs. 

All that I say just as an example to what you mention in upper management - in my view since Wenig it's one area that has gotten extremely worse. Idk if ebay will be swallowed up by the bigger fish, in many ways, I would hope not, anyone who would do that would try and incorporate what they are into ebay and likely make things even worse (IMO of course). I hate Amazon as a company, I worked for them, I only order from them because they have the best price on a lot of supplies I use/need to keep afloat. I have no issues with USPS, used them over 20 years in that time they lost total of 3 packages, they deliver my packages to customers on time and even a head of time usually and media mail is still the only method affordable for in my view. Amazon has never delivered anything to me via their own fleet, it always comes UPS. 

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen  Just a quick mention - CEO's name starts with an "I" - Iannone rather than Lannone. 

So far I have just heard the usual marketbabble 'vertical markets' 'reimaging' 'tech future' etc, etc.  I think there's still the illusion that eBay is a tech company, not an ecommerce company using tech.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 47 of 60
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

As it was for most of us due to covid and captive buyers.

2021 for us is down from 2019.  2020 was great, no doubt, but not a viable benchmark.  If you didn't make money in 2020, you either weren't selling online or you had no inventory to sell. 

The OP specifically asked whtehr eBay was better or worse since Iannone took over.  Iannone took over in late 2019, so the only full-year results I have for comparison are my 2020 results. 

Looking at my transaction report, my eBay sales for the first half of 2021 were 52.3% of my full-year 2020 sales. 

But since this post also disagrees with your agenda, I am sure you'll find a way to dismiss this one to 🙂

I am simply asking for others perspectives on if it's better or worse. Thing is 2020 year was either a make or break for all sellers, either you had the stock and could continue or you didn't or were faced with some other issue in accordance to covid and had to close up. Sales for 2020 shouldn't be counted in a judgement as most of the world turned to online shopping for their needs, so naturally anyone selling 2020 should had seen an influx of sales and profit. 

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

BUT, with all the issues you elude to and many of us have experienced they almost seem ripe for the picking ...

eBay's stock price is at an all-time high and has gained 40% so far this year. If eBay is an acquisition target, I doubt that "all the issues" would be the reason why. 

Funny that none of the people who posted here in 2020 that the company was about to go  bankrupt have come back to update their predictions. Or the people who posted that in 2019. Or 2018. Or 2017. Or 2016. Or 20185. Or 2014. Or 2013 ...

I would hope not, i don't beleieve sellers would want their source (or one of their sources) of income to go bankrupt ...I certainly don't 😄

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Hmm more complaints of fraud and theft by both sellers and buyers.

eBay with made up excuse to ignore their own rules for seller protection...(freight forwarding) to be precise....

One out of ten thousand chance of that..... easy to check by the registered users location also....

Covid of course, not ebays fault bad timing.

Shipping effected by covid; again not ebays fault put sure has problems in handling it...

Again excuses when the item does show up not refunding the seller.. (ebays fault and no seller protection.

An increase in charge backs a unauthorized charge... due to (Manged payments method of showing payment to ebay with sting of numbers instead of purchased item). Stupidity some were along the line....

The fake tracking to rip off buyers (and sellers on returns). Major increase of that:

Fake Law enforcement reports eBay just does not even check (security issue for sure)....

Search engine problems.

New item specific problems......

Ahh even the Ina law suit is bad timing for eBay:

talk about a moral buster for eBay employees...

I am sure others can find more.... I would say the CEO had chosen a bad time to be in eBay...

That is one of my main point, ebay has allowed, by their own practices, for fraud to run uncontrolled and unchecked, taking protections away from sellers and not even fighting at all for the seller. Sure not all cases are the same, results will vary, but charge backs especially ebay doesn't know nor want to actually handle and deal with them so they just agree and buyer gets their money and product. 

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

2021 for us is down from 2019.  2020 was great, no doubt, but not a viable benchmark.  If you didn't make money in 2020, you either weren't selling online or you had no inventory to sell. 

The OP specifically asked whtehr eBay was better or worse since Iannone took over.  Iannone took over in late 2019, so the only full-year results I have for comparison are my 2020 results. 

Looking at my transaction report, my eBay sales for the first half of 2021 were 52.3% of my full-year 2020 sales. 

But since this post also disagrees with your agenda, I am sure you'll find a way to dismiss this one to 🙂

I am simply asking for others perspectives on if it's better or worse. Thing is 2020 year was either a make or break for all sellers, either you had the stock and could continue or you didn't or were faced with some other issue in accordance to covid and had to close up. Sales for 2020 shouldn't be counted in a judgement as most of the world turned to online shopping for their needs, so naturally anyone selling 2020 should had seen an influx of sales and profit. 

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I'm not even aware, nor do i care who the current ebay CEO is.   I just sell.  Am i weird?  Is it just me?  Should i be?

As ebay CEO's change, does it greatly affect the end users (sellers)? 

It does, and sometimes drastically, sometimes not so much... depends on the CEO and their "mission" and "Vision"

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@nuclearomen  Just a quick mention - CEO's name starts with an "I" - Iannone rather than Lannone. 

So far I have just heard the usual marketbabble 'vertical markets' 'reimaging' 'tech future' etc, etc.  I think there's still the illusion that eBay is a tech company, not an ecommerce company using tech.

Lol, thanks, didn't even notice that mistake I made, my bad.

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

So if someone reports that they had a great year of sales that doesn't count because everyone selling "naturally" had an influx of sales. 

And if someone reports that they had a bad year of sales that doesn't count either because they didn't have stock or faced some other issue. 

So what's the point of asking whether it was better or worse, if any report of better or worse is excused? 

Here's my take:

Some good sellers had a good  year during covid because of covid. 

Some good sellers had a good  year during covid because they are good sellers. 

Some good sellers had an okay year during covid because of covid. 

Some good sellers had a bad year during covid because of covid. 

Some bad sellers had a good  year during covid because of covid. 

Some bad sellers had an okay year during covid because of covid. 

Some bad sellers had a bad year during covid because of covid. 

Some bad sellers had a bad year during covid because they are bad sellers. 

And those are just 8 examples of a much wider array of sellers and experiences. 

Not every good year was because of covid, and not every bad year was because of covid. Sellers on eBay are spread out over an entire spectrum, they do not just fit into two overly simplistic boxes. 

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

So if someone reports that they had a great year of sales that doesn't count because everyone selling "naturally" had an influx of sales. 

And if someone reports that they had a bad year of sales that doesn't count either because they didn't have stock or faced some other issue. 

So what's the point of asking whether it was better or worse, if any report of better or worse is excused? 

Here's my take:

That's assuming that you define better or worse is sales only view... which the topic was never about, it was about ebay changes, direction, protections etc... not just sales in 2020

Hit reply before finished... I'm not going argue good seller to bad seller who had good or bad year... simply that if you have the stock that people wanted then you likely made sales. Nothing more nothing less.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@nuclearomen   Good post, good topic.  For almost 40 years I watched as other industries and businesses went under, grew, merged, were acquired, etc.  When I started Selling on eBay and got in to the internet sales "industry" I figured similar things would happen and as I watched eBay I made a prediction in 2016 that in 5 years they would be bought out, acquired or merge with another entity, thus changing the upper management AND the direction of the company.  That 5 year clock is ticking down and in all likely hood I will have been wrong in my prediction from a time standpoint BUT, with all the issues you elude to and many of us have experienced they almost seem ripe for the picking ...

@mr_lincoln I don't want to make it seem like there is blame being placed on CEO or Ebay at all due to things like pandemic, restrictions, lockdowns, shipping issues, or the huge influx of online sales due to all that. Out of anyone's control and no one could had predicted all that had happened. 

With that said, there are many circumstances where I see a huge decline within ebay since Lannone came in. While covid affected the way some things could operate within EB, prime example is CS, that doesn't mean EB couldn't had done more to make it better / easier on sellers and buyers to reach and get results from CS. I blame that on CEO, it's part their job to have a valid and workable CS structure and they have simply failed in every way. They opened more lines of CS and made online chat with CS more widely available, yes, but then they shut down those lines and made it to where the CS "help" is as useless and was trying to contact someone. Reps are not trained to solve issues, they made it so reps only job is take a "report" and forward it to "Correct Dept for Review" - in the meantime, you hear and know nothing of what is going on with your issue and in most cases nothing is done and you spend more time calling and recalling to have some resolve. That's not covid, that's lack of dedication to service your members needs. 

All that I say just as an example to what you mention in upper management - in my view since Wenig it's one area that has gotten extremely worse. Idk if ebay will be swallowed up by the bigger fish, in many ways, I would hope not, anyone who would do that would try and incorporate what they are into ebay and likely make things even worse (IMO of course). I hate Amazon as a company, I worked for them, I only order from them because they have the best price on a lot of supplies I use/need to keep afloat. I have no issues with USPS, used them over 20 years in that time they lost total of 3 packages, they deliver my packages to customers on time and even a head of time usually and media mail is still the only method affordable for in my view. Amazon has never delivered anything to me via their own fleet, it always comes UPS. 

@nuclearomen  ALL very good points ... I think the biggest loss, regardless of the reasons, is the direct phone contact with knowledgeable CS reps.  Perhaps I missed the official Announcement(s) from eBay apologizing for the situation(s) that have contributed to the loss of quality worldwide phone support and call centers ... however, in my opinion I think some of that is by design ... and rather than delve in to that opinion I will leave it at that.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 56 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

Here's my take:

That's assuming that you define better or worse is sales only view... which the topic was never about, it was about ebay changes, direction, protections etc... not just sales in 2020

Hit reply before finished... I'm not going argue good seller to bad seller who had good or bad year... simply that if you have the stock that people wanted then you likely made sales. Nothing more nothing less.

I had a bad year as a seller on eBay because I am unwilling to take the risks necessary to be successful on eBay.

I am DEEP in sellable antiques and vintage items. For me to sell more here I would need to know I am protected as a seller in terms of returns and that my metrics are protected for issues that are not in direct control of my selling behavior. Customer support needs to exist. Chat on facebook does not equal support to me.

Also, policy related to holds on funds on high end items would need to change. If not, I just use well use established auction houses to sell those items. 

I am so glad I am able to return to trade shows. They are booming for me.

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

Guess toys are doing great !   : (    : )

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:
however, in my opinion I think some of that is by design ... and rather than delve in to that opinion I will leave it at that.

Pretty much everything posted here is opinion. But I agree, the decline in phone support is probably by design and is a cost-cutting measure. 

Jut a quick reading of this board indicates that the first instinct for a whole lot of sellers is to call support rather than just read a help page to understand how eBay works. 

"I got a negative, so I called support ..."

"My buyer did not pay, so I called support ..."

"I got a phishing email, so I called support ..."

"No one is buying my items, so I called support ..."

"My buyer filed a dispute, so I called support ..."

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:
however, in my opinion I think some of that is by design ... and rather than delve in to that opinion I will leave it at that.

Pretty much everything posted here is opinion. But I agree, the decline in phone support is probably by design and is a cost-cutting measure. 

Jut a quick reading of this board indicates that the first instinct for a whole lot of sellers is to call support rather than just read a help page to understand how eBay works. 

"I got a negative, so I called support ..."

"My buyer did not pay, so I called support ..."

"I got a phishing email, so I called support ..."

"No one is buying my items, so I called support ..."

"My buyer filed a dispute, so I called support ..."

That is true, CS does get called a lot for things that can be found via help pages (if limited information is sufficient) but there are a lot things that require CS within those reasons that help pages can't really address. 
Opinion yeah, but opinions that reflect one another and show main areas of concern for a lot of sellers, most that has been CS and Charge Backs/False INAD's. Haven't heard from buyers specifically but I guess being on selling board may not.  

Message 60 of 60
latest reply