cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Ebay Gotten Worse Or Better Since Newest CEO?

I remember how bad things got towards the end of Wenig, ebay's previous CEO before Lannone. But since Lannone seems like everything ebay does is in the wrong direction, sellers are treated in many cases far worse and with less "representation", CS has gone bad to incredibly horrid, site itself is a total mess, sales are at all time low, along with traffic. If you read up on Lannone, find he was COO of Walmart and CEO of Sam's Club (really same company) and though was with ebay in the past, doesn't seem to care about the business of marketplace and it's sellers. Knowing Walmart and Sam's has made billions upon billions patronizing China, cheap products and lame service I'm not so surprised ebay has gotten worse in many aspects since Wenig. Sure there is some good he's done in roll as CEO here, just hard to see what they are (for me).

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Don't experience much fraud on eBay. Likely because I sell lower prices items, but it does happen monthly.

Easy to handle most with evidence. Win most, lose a few. Part of the business. Let karma deal with them and focus more on the business. I have a percentage factored into a item for fraud, returns and other factors out of my control before determining whether to source a item. 

Message 16 of 60
latest reply

I was selling 10k a month. Now, I'm moving away from ebay. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT US!!!!!

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

...will eBay's CEO ever re-exam the MBG policy because that is a death sentence to sellers...

...also, eBay needs to gear up side-by-side with sellers in battle field against banking institutions when buyers falsely filing disputes...

Message 18 of 60
latest reply

@bbravo65 wrote:

...will eBay's CEO ever re-exam the MBG policy because that is a death sentence to sellers...

...also, eBay needs to gear up side-by-side with sellers in battle field against banking institutions when buyers falsely filing disputes...

Completely agree on both, especially the the false claims to payment providers that have been running rampant recently, they need to completely change their "process" and allow sellers to not only be involved in the "process" of things but have direct contact with the payment provider, because ebay has no intention on fighting for the seller at all, they just agree and take your money. 

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

...I stop selling authentic and legitimate Chanel perfume after more than couple falsely INAD cases and my authentic Chanel were swapped by counterfeits...

...can't afford anymore lost in revenues...Chanel fragrances is expensive...

Message 20 of 60
latest reply

@bbravo65 wrote:

...I stop selling authentic and legitimate Chanel perfume after more than couple falsely INAD cases and my authentic Chanel were swapped by counterfeits...

...can't afford anymore lost in revenues...Chanel fragrances is expensive...

@bbravo65 
not first time I've heard sellers talk about not carrying more expensive items due to false INAD, INR, Charge Backs etc... over the past 1-2 years. Sad, not only for the good and honest buyers but for both sellers and ebay who obviously make more off those better, more expensive items. 

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

But since Lannone seems like everything ebay does is in the wrong direction

{snip}

site itself is a total mess, sales are at all time low, along with traffic.

I'm not sure how much Iannone has actually influenced eBay since he's only been here 15 months. 

I think it's good that eBay is pushing sellers toward the seller hub, and I can't wait until eBay kills the old seller pages for good and spends those resources on the bits of Seller Hub that still need attention (like a better File Exchange). But I have no idea if that push is coming from Iannone or was already underway. 

As for sales and traffic, I've been selling here since 2000 and last year (2020) was my second biggest in terms of both gross and net.

In terms of profitability, eBay has been remarkably consistent - in 2009 my average net was 60.05% of my selling price, and in 2020 it was 60.70%. 

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

As it was for most of us due to covid and captive buyers.

2021 for us is down from 2019.  2020 was great, no doubt, but not a viable benchmark.  If you didn't make money in 2020, you either weren't selling online or you had no inventory to sell. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 23 of 60
latest reply

Worse for me.

Search being a mess for me. The absolute number one reason my buying has grinded to a hault.

MP has been fine, no complaints with me there.

Customer service is not productive. The push to facebook to get help, unbelievable. Some, like me, do not use facebook. I know, I know, how do I even survive. No twitter too, can u believe it.

Seller protection MUST, MUST, MUST be addressed. At least in the vintage or used categories. Was better in the past for me.

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

As it was for most of us due to covid and captive buyers.

2021 for us is down from 2019.  2020 was great, no doubt, but not a viable benchmark.  If you didn't make money in 2020, you either weren't selling online or you had no inventory to sell. 

Based on the most recent COVID-related news and statistics, eBay sellers would be smart to stock up on inventory again . . . both the Delta and Gamma variants seem to be coming at us with a vengeance. 

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

I agree. I don't want to think we will soon be restricted/isolated, but some areas numbers are really concerning. 

(Mini-hi-jack - took your advice on the e-reader.  Last time spent a fortune on book shipments when isolated. Want to be prepared this time.)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 26 of 60
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

I agree. I don't want to think we will soon be restricted/isolated, but some areas numbers are really concerning. 

(Mini-hi-jack - took your advice on the e-reader.  Last time spent a fortune on book shipments when isolated. Want to be prepared this time.)

Especially if/when numbers start increasing during what is traditionally considered to be the "flu season" anyway.

Now you can spend that money on tea and snacks!

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

@nuclearomen   Good post, good topic.  For almost 40 years I watched as other industries and businesses went under, grew, merged, were acquired, etc.  When I started Selling on eBay and got in to the internet sales "industry" I figured similar things would happen and as I watched eBay I made a prediction in 2016 that in 5 years they would be bought out, acquired or merge with another entity, thus changing the upper management AND the direction of the company.  That 5 year clock is ticking down and in all likely hood I will have been wrong in my prediction from a time standpoint BUT, with all the issues you elude to and many of us have experienced they almost seem ripe for the picking ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 60
latest reply

Who did you think would buy them?  The behemoth?

Posting ID Only.......
Message 29 of 60
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Who did you think would buy them?  The behemoth?

@katzrul15   That is certainly one possibility ... that entity would immediately pick up the antiques, vintage and collectible market eBay has excelled in for many years and then simply fold all the new product sellers into their own system ...

Imagine being able to use their delivery service as an option instead of USPS, FedEx UPS ... that brings a whole new meaning to "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" ...

1 prime 1.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 30 of 60
latest reply