cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hallelujah!!!!... paypal is backing off its policy change.. !!!

yeahhh,,

i just got off the phone with paypal.... 

i was complaining about their new policy that was to go in to effect today ,, regarding.. they will not keep the 3% transaction fees on purchases even if the item is returned..

The paypal rep(located in the us).. gave me the good news.. paypal received so much pushback.. they are putting a  hold on the policy change..!!! I.E.  for now,, they WILL NOT be keeping the transaction fees on every purchase, .. thus,, when sellers get a return or cancelation.. all fees other than the 30 cents will be returned to the seller!

Message 1 of 116
latest reply
115 REPLIES 115

Re: Hallelujah!!!!... paypal is backing off its policy change.. !!!

not a good analogy at all......!!.. don't compare major labor with many workers involved to a transactional processing fee..

remember paypal DOES already make 3% on all the transactions that do process and not get canceled..

their attempt to try and keep the 3% for canceled and refunded transactions was at issue..

I stand by my original post... I'm not going to argue anymore.. I totally understand the skeptics..I was just posting what i was told!..and now ,, several sellers have posted actual transaction that show the transaction fees were refunded.

Message 46 of 116
latest reply

Guys -

I posted this in another thread yesterday morning.  I just didn't create another thread for it.   I can verify that Paypal has said that their May 7th fee changes are currently postponed.  I spoke to a rep, and two supervisors, yesterday, who were very knowledgeable (not the run-of-the-mill front line CS rep).   One of the supervisors actually read me the internal memo directly that they received yesterday morning. 

The bad news is that the Paypal reps are just as confused and frustrated as we are.   The memo gave no dates, Paypal did not update their T&C page, and other than the memo, there was no additional information as of yet.   I did one refund late yesterday for an immediate buy-and-cancel, and the fees WERE credited back like others have said. 

I personally think Paypal, right now, is just suffering from incredibly poor leadership.   They don't know what to do, they are making poor decisions, and they are creating confusion at their own company by providing very unclear direction.   Not to mention the ramifications of announcing and publicizing a fee change, and not following through with it nor providing any notification.    Technically the fee change states there will be no 30 cent fee anymore, but they are still charging it.    So they are going against their own published T&C at the moment, which you would think would have it's own problems (not that we are complaining of course, but still the idea of it seems like it would be illegal?).   

So again, what the OP said is indeed true.     That's why I requested to speak to multiple supervisors when the initial rep told me the same thing, and even going as far as to actually hearing the exact memo that went out stating the May 7th fee changes have been postponed.

Message 47 of 116
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
Are you the one that posted this on a social networking app? If so, please don’t post info unless you are absolutely sure. People on that app were really excited and I had to be the naysayer. It’s just not true. The policy was implemented yesterday

It most definitely is true.  Today I refunded a buyer $3 for shipping overage, and they only took $2.92 from my account.  8 cents Paypal Fee Reversal.  

Message 48 of 116
latest reply

Until they announce something with dates and change the user agreement I'm not going to base any financial business decisions on it.

I went to PayPal chat support and they said:

"I know how this situation concerns you. Refund Fee Retention. This change will not become effective on the date originally communicated. We do not have further information on a future effective date at this time and will share more information as it becomes available. This does not affect any of the other User Agreement updates detailed in the Policy Update notice."

It's so non-specific that for all we know they can put it into effect next week- or change the policy to put a cap on the fee retention. The rep also said PayPal will send an announcement to everyone that it's postponed- so I will wait for that before rolling back any business changes that were made to account for it.

At this point it appears they're not backing off as the thread title suggests- rather they are postponing the change for an undetermined length of time. The user agreement was changed to reflect fee retention so I'm going to expect it will go into effect soon.

Message 49 of 116
latest reply

uggg bummer... that's what i was afraid of.. but at least its a temporary reprieve.. thank you for your post and confirming my initial information..

Message 50 of 116
latest reply

What a mess. 

Sounds like they are having a programming problem implementing the change more so than recanting the UE. 

I wish it were true. I also wish that ebay would put extreme pressure on paypal to exclude ebay sellers from this policy change. After all, it's going to make ebay sellers very squeamish to list high dollar items, as if they aren't already. 

Message 51 of 116
latest reply

@lasantino 

Please understand that the request for a link was to make sure what was shared with you by a CSR at PP was accurate.  If we just trusted whatever a CSR told us from Ebay or PP at their call centers to be the truth or the accuracy of any given matter, so many sellers would have been further injured by taking that advice and running with it only to learn the CSR was wrong.

This is NOT an attack on you.  That is not why I and others asked for a link to the announcement that they have changed this.  It was asked to support what you have said.  Nothing more.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 52 of 116
latest reply

I know what you mean.. I too was skeptical.. I too have been burned by ebay. I too am disgusted by the lack of valid information sometimes coming from ebay customer service reps.  I made the post initially because I was stunned and wanted to give a heads up to other sellers..   All the naysayers were  surprising.,,  But i guess given ebay's and paypals history,,, the skepticism was understandable.

I guess i just didn't appreciate some posters starting to criticize me for posting.. and questioning whether I knew what i was talking about.. 

Again,, I'm sure paypal must have gotten some pushback from their legal department.  that's why they put the info out as an internal memo.. etc..   I hope its an actual reversal of the policy change. However, I"m sure they are trying to figure out if they can implement the change without hitting legal snags..

Message 53 of 116
latest reply

I posted earlier on this thread.  I just issued a refund and received my PayPal fees back -.30

Message 54 of 116
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@lasantino 

This is NOT an attack on you.  That is not why I and others asked for a link to the announcement that they have changed this.  It was asked to support what you have said.  Nothing more.

Agreed. CS reps say a lot of things, and many prove to be untrue. Since the UE has been updated to include this change, it could be implemented at anytime, and we as sellers still need to prepare for it. 

Message 55 of 116
latest reply

@lasantino wrote:

I know what you mean.. I too was skeptical.. I too have been burned by ebay. I too am disgusted by the lack of valid information sometimes coming from ebay customer service reps.  I made the post initially because I was stunned and wanted to give a heads up to other sellers..   All the naysayers were  surprising.,,  But i guess given ebay's and paypals history,,, the skepticism was understandable.

I guess i just didn't appreciate some posters starting to criticize me for posting.. and questioning whether I knew what i was talking about.. 

Again,, I'm sure paypal must have gotten some pushback from their legal department.  that's why they put the info out as an internal memo.. etc..   I hope its an actual reversal of the policy change. However, I"m sure they are trying to figure out if they can implement the change without hitting legal snags..

Since you ARE a seasoned member of Ebay  I'm surprised that you are surprised at the skepticism you have received here.

Can you imaging the messes we could get ourselves into over the years if we took whatever anyone posted on a thread to be the fact without anything to support it.  You think we have problems now, OMG that would be one hot mess.

We ALL want what you have said to be true.  And we ALL want what others are reporting regarding their refunded buyers and fees.  We ALL want that.

We all need to understand that this is no small thing.  For many sellers this can have a significant financial impact on them.  So try to look at it from that point of view.  We are all just trying to make sure we have accurate information in which to move forward with.  Nothing more.

Message 56 of 116
latest reply

@mam98031    no worries.  I'm just glad for now paypal has decided against implementing the policy change of keeping the 2.9% transaction fees on canceled and refunded transactions.

Message 57 of 116
latest reply

@klickonline wrote:

Guys -

I posted this in another thread yesterday morning.  I just didn't create another thread for it.   I can verify that Paypal has said that their May 7th fee changes are currently postponed.  I spoke to a rep, and two supervisors, yesterday, who were very knowledgeable (not the run-of-the-mill front line CS rep).   One of the supervisors actually read me the internal memo directly that they received yesterday morning. 

The bad news is that the Paypal reps are just as confused and frustrated as we are.   The memo gave no dates, Paypal did not update their T&C page, and other than the memo, there was no additional information as of yet.   I did one refund late yesterday for an immediate buy-and-cancel, and the fees WERE credited back like others have said. 

I personally think Paypal, right now, is just suffering from incredibly poor leadership.   They don't know what to do, they are making poor decisions, and they are creating confusion at their own company by providing very unclear direction.   Not to mention the ramifications of announcing and publicizing a fee change, and not following through with it nor providing any notification.    Technically the fee change states there will be no 30 cent fee anymore, but they are still charging it.    So they are going against their own published T&C at the moment, which you would think would have it's own problems (not that we are complaining of course, but still the idea of it seems like it would be illegal?).   

So again, what the OP said is indeed true.     That's why I requested to speak to multiple supervisors when the initial rep told me the same thing, and even going as far as to actually hearing the exact memo that went out stating the May 7th fee changes have been postponed.

I think you might be right here. As with many others I wondered if the fees will be kept on refunds of PAYMENTS made on 5/7 and after. That's why all of the refunds mentioned has fees refunded. Then I thought maybe PayPal just doesn't have their stuff together and is just lagging on this. I recall a convo I had with PayPal early April... I just didn't make a post about it yet because I was too lazy.

On that call I asked the rep for details... specifically which refunds will have the fee retention, eBay cancellations, manual refunds, full/partial refunds, etc. The agent said that none of the employees (including himself) know any details at all aside from the general statement. He said there was an internal memo that told all employees to stay tuned for an announcement the week before 5/7 that outlines everything regarding this. Until then, no one had any info. My only guess is that the announcement never happened and all PayPal employees are still in the dark. Which means the fee retention can easily happen at any time.

Message 58 of 116
latest reply

Earlier you said:  their attempt to keep a percentage of the transaction ,, even when the transaction ends up being reversed i believe does have some legal implications...  

The transaction did occur; reversing it doesn't mean it never happened.  There isn't anything illegal about paypal not refunding the fees.

I, of course, am not at all in favor of or excited about not receiving the fee refunds we've been used to but I've always been surprised anything was refunded at all.

And I agree with ersatz; I think this is a programming or something like that issue that is causing the delay, not a paypal suddenly had a let's-rethink-this moment.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 59 of 116
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@klickonline wrote:

Guys -

I think you might be right here. As with many others I wondered if the fees will be kept on refunds of PAYMENTS made on 5/7 and after. That's why all of the refunds mentioned has fees refunded. Then I thought maybe PayPal just doesn't have their stuff together and is just lagging on this. I recall a convo I had with PayPal early April... I just didn't make a post about it yet because I was too lazy.

On that call I asked the rep for details... specifically which refunds will have the fee retention, eBay cancellations, manual refunds, full/partial refunds, etc. The agent said that none of the employees (including himself) know any details at all aside from the general statement. He said there was an internal memo that told all employees to stay tuned for an announcement the week before 5/7 that outlines everything regarding this. Until then, no one had any info. My only guess is that the announcement never happened and all PayPal employees are still in the dark. Which means the fee retention can easily happen at any time.

THANK YOU.  This would be exactly why we want / need a public announcement on what is happening.  We can't accurately plan for what we all need to do to accommodate these fees.  For some sellers, the need to raise pricing could be a real need.  But I'm confident that those seller that may have raised pricing in anticipation of this additional cost of selling would be just as happy as the rest of us if PP reversed their policy change.

Message 60 of 116
latest reply