cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW does eBay ALLOW this?

In a search for a Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, eBay led me to a listing that stated it was a vacuum advance, but was actually a set of brake shoes and rotors for a completely different car.

THIS is how bad Search has gotten.

The best part, though?

eBay led me to a seller with a -1 feedback score. Total feedback consisted of one neutral and one negative. Both were left "more than a year ago". 

The even BETTER part?

This seller has 4400 items listed for sale.

HOW, eBay???

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: HOW does eBay ALLOW this?

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

"but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?"

I did a couple of searches yesterday for Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, but I was unable to replicate your results and find the seller in question.

Do you have an item # for the listing?

Yes but we're not allowed to post such things here.

Gotcha.

In the Book Category their is a fairly new player in the game here on eBay.

But they used a sock puppet account that has been active since 1998 to get their sales going.

They currently have 3,089,998 books listed. Those listings have been added over the past 14 months or so.

They currently have a feedback score of 32,274 with Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 96.5%

They have received a total of 36,022 feedback ratings in the last 12 months.

So essentially they had very little to no activity here on eBay between 1998 and 2016.

But with your case I do not have a clue as to how they are getting it done.

I suppose hypothetically if you were a new prospective seller and called up eBay and told them that you were ready to drop 4,400 listings onto their site, but had a few terms and conditions, like wanting to receive better than average exposure, etc., before you committed to listing those 4,400 items, eBay might be willing to capitulate and give you better terms than the average everyday seller receives. But that is just speculation on my part.

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

Well, the off the rails off topic discussion of eBay's so called "search engine" sure was amusing, but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?

The acct. has been around since 2016, and has exactly 2 f/b:  a Neut. for non-delivery, and a Neg. for a junk part.  The items are hundreds of $$$ each, so their selling limit must be higher than mine. 

I think you may have answered your own question though... the bit in red... doesn't eBay have some program to promote your listings if you agree to pay them a higher FVF?   So much for all that "Top Rated" and "Seller Performance" and "Returns and Free Shipping" stuff that's supposedly in the "relevancy" algorithm... or "trust"... or any other "industry standard best practice"... it's just the money... 100% non-positive feedback is no obstacle. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I am so surprised people who have been on Ebay for so long cannot do a search. I typed 1973 vacuum advance and received 53 results all vacuum advance for a Porche 911. Just put in the correct year you need and you will be amazed at how simple it is. No brake shoes or anything irrelevant at all.

Curious here.

Where did the OP say that he didn't get results for the vacuum advance he was seeking?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 33 of 47
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

I grew up with computers and the internet...albeit a green screen & 28k dial up... and arranging key words for searchs in different search engines is still a task.

I can't imagine what it is like for someone 50 or older

Ohhhhhhhhhh, wow, that's fast.  I think I still have a 1200 around here - somewhere.  I couldn't believe it when I got a PP 14.4  When I got my first 20 meg hardcard, I just KNEW I would never run short of disk space again - and, it was only $400!  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?

I hollered for a response.  They didn't come.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 35 of 47
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

"but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?"

I did a couple of searches yesterday for Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, but I was unable to replicate your results and find the seller in question.

Do you have an item # for the listing?

Yes but we're not allowed to post such things here.

Gotcha.

In the Book Category their is a fairly new player in the game here on eBay.

But they used a sock puppet account that has been active since 1998 to get their sales going.

They currently have 3,089,998 books listed. Those listings have been added over the past 14 months or so.

They currently have a feedback score of 32,274 with Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 96.5%

They have received a total of 36,022 feedback ratings in the last 12 months.

So essentially they had very little to no activity here on eBay between 1998 and 2016.

But with your case I do not have a clue as to how they are getting it done.

I suppose hypothetically if you were a new prospective seller and called up eBay and told them that you were ready to drop 4,400 listings onto their site, but had a few terms and conditions, like wanting to receive better than average exposure, etc., before you committed to listing those 4,400 items, eBay might be willing to capitulate and give you better terms than the average everyday seller receives. But that is just speculation on my part.

You forgot about being a seller from China.

(*Bleep*)
Message 36 of 47
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

I grew up with computers and the internet...albeit a green screen & 28k dial up... and arranging key words for searchs in different search engines is still a task.

I can't imagine what it is like for someone 50 or older

Ohhhhhhhhhh, wow, that's fast.  I think I still have a 1200 around here - somewhere.  I couldn't believe it when I got a PP 14.4  When I got my first 20 meg hardcard, I just KNEW I would never run short of disk space again - and, it was only $400!  Smiley Surprised

Guess you don't remember having the earliest 300 baud handset dialup modems?

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Guess you don't remember having the earliest 300 baud handset dialup modems?

I never had a handset type, but I did have a 300 baud external serial port modem.

My computer was a beige box 286 CPU with a math co-processor. 1 mb RAM. No hard drive at all. No CD-Rom. but I did have a 5½" Floppy Disc Drive.

Used it to dial into my favorite BBS. Used KERMIT protocol to download games to the floppy.

America Online wasn't even BORN yet.

The Internet BEFORE the Word Wide WebThe Internet BEFORE the Word Wide Web

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

The search is great..... Listings are never hidden..... 

Perfect example. I duplicated this with various search terms here is one example. VPN off, just like most people. VPN on and set to another part of the country. Wow look at that. The listing appears. 

SMH

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?

They're not getting it Georg.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 40 of 47
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

I know!

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

They're not getting it Georg.

Some of them are but we keep going off the rails.

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

@sellingforpaws wrote:

The search is great..... Listings are never hidden..... 

Perfect example. I duplicated this with various search terms here is one example. VPN off, just like most people. VPN on and set to another part of the country. Wow look at that. The listing appears. 

SMH

@selling-4-paws

Curious if the last 2 items on the left are included in the search on the right - only because the search on the left includes the search terms that only part of the title words.

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

I know!

From another thread:  

@Anonymous wrote:

@hi ...I want to clarify a few points first before responding to your question. While we would love to be able to respond to every @mention we receive and get back to Community questions as quickly as you may like, this is not always possible. Since this is not a Customer Service channel we are not always going to respond to every question, and we will not be able to commit to a quick turnaround time for answers in every conversation we do engage on. The Community is a peer to peer feedback forum and I wanted to make sure I touched on this as a reminder that The Community Team's main focus is to monitor the boards for trends and escalating issues so that this is communicated to the correct teams. When we are able to step in and help on more specific issues or policy questions, we are happy to do so in an effort to support our buyers and sellers here. However, this is not always something we can offer.

Apparently, they pick and choose which to respond to.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

I know!

From another thread:  

@Anonymous wrote:

@hi ...I want to clarify a few points first before responding to your question. While we would love to be able to respond to every @mention we receive and get back to Community questions as quickly as you may like, this is not always possible. Since this is not a Customer Service channel we are not always going to respond to every question, and we will not be able to commit to a quick turnaround time for answers in every conversation we do engage on. The Community is a peer to peer feedback forum and I wanted to make sure I touched on this as a reminder that The Community Team's main focus is to monitor the boards for trends and escalating issues so that this is communicated to the correct teams. When we are able to step in and help on more specific issues or policy questions, we are happy to do so in an effort to support our buyers and sellers here. However, this is not always something we can offer.

Apparently, they pick and choose which to respond to.

No real surprises there. Facebook, that competing marketplace, seems to be where eBay would rather they'd be anyhow.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply