cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW does eBay ALLOW this?

In a search for a Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, eBay led me to a listing that stated it was a vacuum advance, but was actually a set of brake shoes and rotors for a completely different car.

THIS is how bad Search has gotten.

The best part, though?

eBay led me to a seller with a -1 feedback score. Total feedback consisted of one neutral and one negative. Both were left "more than a year ago". 

The even BETTER part?

This seller has 4400 items listed for sale.

HOW, eBay???

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: HOW does eBay ALLOW this?

@retrose1

So what did you get when you typed (1973 porche 911 vacuum advance) ? Notice I was specific with the year where the OP just randomly expected all types of years . No buyer would type that in search and expect a single item to show up. Yes I probably could make a ton of cash helping people search. It is not rocket science. Typed exactly what you want, not some generic code for what you think you may want.

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@retrose1

So what did you get when you typed (1973 porche 911 vacuum advance) ? Notice I was specific with the year where the OP just randomly expected all types of years . No buyer would type that in search and expect a single item to show up. Yes I probably could make a ton of cash helping people search. It is not rocket science. Typed exactly what you want, not some generic code for what you think you may want.

I got 0 results with (1973 porche 911 vacuum advance)

Then I removed the ( ) and still got 0 results.

But in both searches under related, there were piles of Oldsmobile and Dodge parts from China and Turkey.  So your way isn't working so well.

And the point isn't what you get - it's what the average buyer (the ones that don't know the secret code drill downs) gets when they do a search.

(*Bleep*)
Message 17 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@retrose1

What exactly is a porche, anyways?

No, don't tell me... it's what eBay AI sees when I type in Porsche... right?grin

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

Trying to make excuses does not help . You know in the example I spelled it wrong. Another reason why some cannot search. It is a MUST to be specific AND spell correctly. Never mind, I remember you cannot find gramophone either. grinning

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I am so surprised people who have been on Ebay for so long cannot do a search. I typed 1973 vacuum advance and received 53 results all vacuum advance for a Porche 911. Just put in the correct year you need and you will be amazed at how simple it is. No brake shoes or anything irrelevant at all.

I just searched in "All Categories"

1973 porche 911 vacuum advance

0 results for 1973 porche 911 va.....1973 porche 911 vacuum advance   eBay.png

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@gramophone-georg

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@retrose1

What exactly is a porche, anyways?

No, don't tell me... it's what eBay AI sees when I type in Porsche... right?grin

Well... the porche is what you step onto, when you go out the trailor dor.

Just push that dog off the lawn chair, and grab a beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAhzRR_I14

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@coolections wrote:

I am so surprised people who have been on Ebay for so long cannot do a search. I typed 1973 vacuum advance and received 53 results all vacuum advance for a Porche 911. Just put in the correct year you need and you will be amazed at how simple it is. No brake shoes or anything irrelevant at all.

Correction!

My mistake.

It does help a little if I spell Porsche correctly.

I just searched this time in "eBay Motors"

1973 porsche 911 vacuum advance

1 results for 1973 porsche 911 va.....

But there are others available within "Results matching fewer words", you just have to dig around a bit more.

1973 Porsche 911 vacuum advance in eBay Motors   eBay(1).png

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@coolections wrote:

Correction!

My mistake.

But there are others available within "Results matching fewer words", you just have to dig around a bit more.

How many buyers will do this, though?

Are they here to buy or to hunt Easter eggs?

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

That's funny - using your own statement, I entered the words in red and searched and I got 54 results. 

Not one of them is for a Porche.

I doubt a '73 ford vacuum advance would fit it .........................

How many buyers will do this, though? NOT VERY MANY!

Are they here to buy or to hunt Easter eggs? This seems to me to be getting worse as eBay continues to build out its new catalog. A lot of correct listings are getting lost in the shuffle.

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@coolections wrote:

Correction!

My mistake.

How many buyers will do this, though?

Are they here to buy or to hunt Easter eggs?

Probably not a whole lot of buyers. And a good search engine will know you what meant to type out and correct it for you. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 26 of 47
latest reply

And the one under Porsche doesn't even come up when searching 1973 vacuum advance.

Or course, that listing does have those 3 words in it.

Yep - search works like the contents of a holding tank.

Well, the off the rails off topic discussion of eBay's so called "search engine" sure was amusing, but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

"but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?"

I did a couple of searches yesterday for Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, but I was unable to replicate your results and find the seller in question.

Do you have an item # for the listing?

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

"but what about the actual question of how is it that a new seller (eBay definition), again with these supposedly legendary selling limits AND a -1  feedback store can list over 4400 items and be so heavily promoted by eBay?"

I did a couple of searches yesterday for Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, but I was unable to replicate your results and find the seller in question.

Do you have an item # for the listing?

Yes but we're not allowed to post such things here.

Message 30 of 47
latest reply