cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW does eBay ALLOW this?

In a search for a Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance, eBay led me to a listing that stated it was a vacuum advance, but was actually a set of brake shoes and rotors for a completely different car.

THIS is how bad Search has gotten.

The best part, though?

eBay led me to a seller with a -1 feedback score. Total feedback consisted of one neutral and one negative. Both were left "more than a year ago". 

The even BETTER part?

This seller has 4400 items listed for sale.

HOW, eBay???

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: HOW does eBay ALLOW this?

@gramophone-georg

Congrats, AI knows you are getting a new car.

Bad news, it needs new brake pads.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

The Modern Buyer: How Sellers Can Meet Them
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

I am so surprised people who have been on Ebay for so long cannot do a search. I typed 1973 vacuum advance and received 53 results all vacuum advance for a Porche 911. Just put in the correct year you need and you will be amazed at how simple it is. No brake shoes or anything irrelevant at all.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

I grew up with computers and the internet...albeit a green screen & 28k dial up... and arranging key words for searchs in different search engines is still a task.

I can't imagine what it is like for someone 50 or older

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

I searched for Porsche 1973-77 911 distributor vacuum advance  (I have no idea what that is lol) and got

ab5fd88c90468b9ebc4b7057d819e52c

Zero results for the search, with a total of FIVE results matching fewer words no_mouth

Next...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I am so surprised people who have been on Ebay for so long cannot do a search. I typed 1973 vacuum advance and received 53 results all vacuum advance for a Porche 911. Just put in the correct year you need and you will be amazed at how simple it is. No brake shoes or anything irrelevant at all.

You'd make a fortune teaching classes on how to do a search.  You manage to get results that no one else can, so after an hour of drill downs and clearing cache and cookies and still not getting anything that comes close,  I am sure that there are plenty willing to pay you for the secret.  Especially ebay, since Cassini's search results are one of the biggest reasons buyers leave ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Computer Abracadabra 

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

eBay led me to a seller with a -1 feedback score. Total feedback consisted of one neutral and one negative. Both were left "more than a year ago". 

The even BETTER part?

This seller has 4400 items listed for sale.

HOW, eBay???

@Anonymous

brian@ebay

Well, guys?  How can it?

Seems like an obvious case of a hijacked account.  How can a dormant account come back to like an list over 4,000 items?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I am surprised you are blissfully unaware of eBays magical search engine, that knows better than you, what you want to see. It’s not a matter of not knowing how to search. It’s eBay darn search engine that is showing you only what they think they want you to see. They have now gone so far as to automatically choose search filters for you! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 47
latest reply

I think (opinion) eBay has refined it's search engine to separate listings that attempt to cover two categories so as to require sellers to list in those separate categories.

As an example, I have several aircraft instruments that would look great in a hot rod, street rod or rat rod.  One has been  listed as; " Helicopter Turbine Torque Gauge - Hot, Street, Rat Rod"  in eBay motors. This shows up if I search helicopter in eBay motors and used to show up if I searched  hot rod in motors.

Now it shows up in a search for helicopter but not for hot rod, street rod or rat rod - in ebay motors.

Hence my grasp that eBay is looking to increase second category charges.  I'd do the same if I were eBay.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

And I'm Pope Francis. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@duggmills

@duggmills wrote:

I think (opinion) eBay has refined it's search engine to separate listings that attempt to cover two categories so as to require sellers to list in those separate categories.

As an example, I have several aircraft instruments that would look great in a hot rod, street rod or rat rod.  One has been  listed as; " Helicopter Turbine Torque Gauge - Hot, Street, Rat Rod"  in eBay motors. This shows up if I search helicopter in eBay motors and used to show up if I searched  hot rod in motors.

Now it shows up in a search for helicopter but not for hot rod, street rod or rat rod - in ebay motors.

Hence my grasp that eBay is looking to increase second category charges.  I'd do the same if I were eBay.

I have an artificial horizon in my Ford Explorer, lol   and an auto pilot too

Fly the Fast Ones.  L-39

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

You'd make a fortune teaching classes on how to do a search.  You manage to get results that no one else can, so after an hour of drill downs and clearing cache and cookies and still not getting anything that comes close,  I am sure that there are plenty willing to pay you for the secret.  Especially ebay, since Cassini's search results are one of the biggest reasons buyers leave ebay.

Better still ... create a site that automates your process for any search terms, with persistent cookies set for those who want US Only or other filters and allow free use, but serve ads. I'd sign up in a hearbeat if I could also enter searchs and have it TEXTED to me via a shortened Bitly URL when a saved search gets a hit. Call it eBay Excavator or some such.

* Idea is hereby released as Free Use under the GNU General License.

sunglasses

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 14 of 47
latest reply

I can't imagine what it is like for someone 50 or older

Like this guy?

Bill_Gates_June_2015

Message 15 of 47
latest reply