cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program terms not being honored

I sold an item internationally (I'm located in the US) through the Global Shipping Program, the item arrived safely at the distribution center in Kentucky and arrived damaged to its final destination. The buyer requested to return the item to me, I denied and explained that he needed to talk to eBay to get a refund since the GSP agreement clearly states that the seller is not responsible for damage during transit. He instead opened a claim on PayPal, and of course, PayPal decided in his favor, giving him the option to ship the damaged item back to me for a full refund and put a hold on my account for the full value of the sale.

I've talked to both eBay and PayPal numerous times over the past 30 days to try and resolve the issue. Ebay closed the return request and closed the case in their system, but now PayPal is making me accept the return of the broken item and refund the buyer for it.

Ebay is clearly at fault, but they have told me that closing the case in their system is all they can do. Now PayPal refuses to change their decision regardless of all evidence presented to them, and I'm forced to accept a damaged item back and refund the buyer for the full amount. I'm seriously considering taking eBay to court for breach of contract.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Global Shipping Program terms not being honored

@bubbleman2010wrote:

Might go read last weeks community chat if you're wanting to get up to speed...

Nope. No such thing was said in last weeks community chat and neither you or anyone else was told to steer clear of the GSP. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 31 of 89
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@carlmarxxwrote:

I find it odd that Paypal did not  forward  the buyer back to ebay  since it is a GSP issue !   because from I been told that paypal doesn't  handle GSP  INR's and Damge Case's .   

Because they can’t. Once the buyer goes to PP, they can’t go back to eBay 

From What I recall about GSP  was   That  Both Ebay and Paypal and d the seller   where not to get involved  in the dispute of a INR lost or Damage  claim  Because the Item is now in GSP's Hot little hand's!  and  that   Buyer is sent over to The GSP Rep.  After They notified  ebay  or  Paypal depending on which company they contacted .   That is What Ebay folks  talked up  about the GSP.

Message 32 of 89
latest reply

@carlmarxxwrote:

@missjen831wrote:

@carlmarxxwrote:

I find it odd that Paypal did not  forward  the buyer back to ebay  since it is a GSP issue !   because from I been told that paypal doesn't  handle GSP  INR's and Damge Case's .   

Because they can’t. Once the buyer goes to PP, they can’t go back to eBay 

From What I recall about GSP  was   That  Both Ebay and Paypal and d the seller   where not to get involved  in the dispute of a INR lost or Damage  claim  Because the Item is now in GSP's Hot little hand's!  and  that   Buyer is sent over to The GSP Rep.  After They notified  ebay  or  Paypal depending on which company they contacted .   That is What Ebay folks  talked up  about the GSP.

The buyer still has to open a request against the seller. And if the seller does not contact eBay, the case is usually not handled correctly. As I said earlier, the way they say it SHOULD work is not how it works in REALITY.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 33 of 89
latest reply

Completley understand this rough situation. In this case, you would opt to send him another item and not ask it to be returned since the price of return shipping exceeds the cost of the item. For China, I would highly encourage learning about freight forwarding shipping options. A good one is called 4PX. They will help keep the cost down for shipping and return shipping. 

Message 34 of 89
latest reply

That is what I believe eBay expects to happen since they at one point suggested that I work this out with the buyer. In other words, I'm expected to ignore the agreement I entered with them, take the responsibility for the damage and move on. I suspect this is systematic, they wear you down until you decide that the hassle is not worth it and just take the loss yourself.

Message 35 of 89
latest reply

I requested eBay to notify PayPal regarding this situation, I was informed that they can't notify them in any way, or interfere with their processes.
Message 36 of 89
latest reply

Here’s your post
Hi @dhbookds,

Thanks for your question.

The buyer does not need to contact GSP. They simply need to open a case about the item and list it was damanged or not received. GSP will then jump in and take care of the rest reimbursing the buyer.

Thanks for your question,
Bassil
————————————————-
I’m not sure but I thought I told Mr Basil that he was wrong. It could’ve been another chat I don’t know. Okay I wasn’t there last week but we’ve been told this in the past & we’ve told them that’s not how it works. Bassil must not be at eBay anymore, it’s not tagging him.

@bassil@ebay
Your answer in the chat is not how GSP works, the seller has to call eBay. 

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 37 of 89
latest reply

@Bassil@ebay.com

Bassil is not found when tagging. 

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 38 of 89
latest reply

retro on the paypal dispute did you select return for refund?

Message 39 of 89
latest reply

@Anonymous

could you please straighten this out..........what do sellers have to do when a case is filed for breakage in route from Ky to buyer?

Message 40 of 89
latest reply

I didn't select anything. I was just informed of the dispute, provided everything I could to PayPal to fix the issue and about a week later I was informed of their decision.

Message 41 of 89
latest reply

Paypal has already decided the dispute?

Message 42 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@retrogamescrafts wrote:

I sold an item internationally (I'm located in the US) through the Global Shipping Program, the item arrived safely at the distribution center in Kentucky and arrived damaged to its final destination. The buyer requested to return the item to me, I denied and explained that he needed to talk to eBay to get a refund since the GSP agreement clearly states that the seller is not responsible for damage during transit. He instead opened a claim on PayPal, and of course, PayPal decided in his favor, giving him the option to ship the damaged item back to me for a full refund and put a hold on my account for the full value of the sale.

I've talked to both eBay and PayPal numerous times over the past 30 days to try and resolve the issue. Ebay closed the return request and closed the case in their system, but now PayPal is making me accept the return of the broken item and refund the buyer for it.

Ebay is clearly at fault, but they have told me that closing the case in their system is all they can do. Now PayPal refuses to change their decision regardless of all evidence presented to them, and I'm forced to accept a damaged item back and refund the buyer for the full amount. I'm seriously considering taking eBay to court for breach of contract.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @retrogamescrafts, when a buyer receives an item damaged through our Global Shipping Program, they would open a return on eBay and, once eBay is asked to step in, we would close the case for the buyer and the refund would process from the third party shipper. A seller would not be negatively impacted by this and we would protect them against any negative feedback related to the damaged item.

When the buyer opens a claim on PayPal, they also can hold the third party shipper accountable for the refund. It does sound like a mistake was made here, so I recommend you contact PayPal directly to have this resolved. Once a PayPal claim is opened, the eBay Money Back Guarantee case is closed automatically and we cannot take any further action on our end. PayPal would need to review this for you going forward - while I know that you've expressed some difficulty getting this resolved, we are do not have the ability to step in on a dispute through their protection program.

Message 43 of 89
latest reply

Yes. They requested the buyer to return the item for a full refund. The buyer has to provide tracking to them by the 19th.

Clarifying that the refund is coming out of my account.
Message 44 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@retrogamescrafts wrote:
Yes. They requested the buyer to return the item for a full refund. The buyer has to provide tracking to them by the 19th.

Clarifying that the refund is coming out of my account.

Hi @retrogamescrafts, definitely sounds like the incorrect decision was made. I recommend calling back and specifically discussing this Global Shipping Program transaction. If you run into any issues, please let me know. While PayPal and eBay are separate companies, I may be able to help get this reviewed if necessary!

Message 45 of 89
latest reply