cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Shipping Program terms not being honored

I sold an item internationally (I'm located in the US) through the Global Shipping Program, the item arrived safely at the distribution center in Kentucky and arrived damaged to its final destination. The buyer requested to return the item to me, I denied and explained that he needed to talk to eBay to get a refund since the GSP agreement clearly states that the seller is not responsible for damage during transit. He instead opened a claim on PayPal, and of course, PayPal decided in his favor, giving him the option to ship the damaged item back to me for a full refund and put a hold on my account for the full value of the sale.

I've talked to both eBay and PayPal numerous times over the past 30 days to try and resolve the issue. Ebay closed the return request and closed the case in their system, but now PayPal is making me accept the return of the broken item and refund the buyer for it.

Ebay is clearly at fault, but they have told me that closing the case in their system is all they can do. Now PayPal refuses to change their decision regardless of all evidence presented to them, and I'm forced to accept a damaged item back and refund the buyer for the full amount. I'm seriously considering taking eBay to court for breach of contract.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Global Shipping Program terms not being honored

This would not be a matter of eBay contacting them about eBay's policies, as this is within PayPal's policies to offer this protection. I fear that there may be some sort...

I just had the pleasure of reading the entire PayPal UA thanks to their recent update, I do not recall seeing anything in there about their protections relating to the GSP.  In fact, they seem to explicitly state there is no Seller Protection for "Not As Described" cases (which would include shipping damage), and their representatives routinely tell sellers that they cannot see anything on eBay because eBay and PayPal are separate companies. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 61 of 89
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

they would open a return on eBay and, once eBay is asked to step in,

@Anonymous

WHO ASKS Ebay to step in...........the seller or the buyer..........WHAT  does the seller have to do when the case is filed??????????????? ANYTHING or do they have to call Ebay.................

Hi @dhbookds, either party can ask eBay to step in and no further steps are needed. When we are asked to step in and make a decision, it is clear to us that the transaction is a Global Shipping Program transaction and we will be able to protect a seller for loss or damage in transit. A call would not be necessary, as we can be asked to step in directly from the return request afte three full business days have passed from the day the request is opened. That being said, eBay Customer Service can override this three day waiting period if the Global Shipping Program is at fault, so you are welcome to contact Customer Service in these situations for a quicker resolution!

In the event that a buyer contacts their seller with these kinds of concerns before opening a return request, the seller can direct them to open one from their purchase history to get the resolution process started. 

More details about selling with the Global Shipping Program can be found here. Definitely let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to provide more details!

Trinton what do mean If GSP is a fault !   From I have been  told that the KY.  Hub doesn't ship out the next day .They Pack  all  packages on  too a flat that is going to the specific  country .    

Message 62 of 89
latest reply

eBay doesn’t always recognize that it’s a GSP transaction, and sellers who did not call have been left holding the bag on damaged item claims. It’s documented through the boards. And PayPal also has a history of handling GSP transactions wrong, it’s documented here and in their own community.  The system does not work correctly. The seller really has to call rather than use the link to ask eBay to step in. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 63 of 89
latest reply

This is exactly why I'm in this predicament. PayPal says they don't know about the issue on eBay, and Ebay says they don't know about the issue on PayPal. It is very difficult to believe that those two companies can't communicate at any level, sounds like bullsh*t to me.

Message 64 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlmarxx wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@retrogamescraftswrote:
Yes. They requested the buyer to return the item for a full refund. The buyer has to provide tracking to them by the 19th.

Clarifying that the refund is coming out of my account.

Hi retrogamescrafts, definitely sounds like the incorrect decision was made. I recommend calling back and specifically discussing this Global Shipping Program transaction. If you run into any issues, please let me know. While PayPal and eBay are separate companies, I may be able to help get this reviewed if necessary!

Trinton  I know  the buyer  can Open a INR or Damage  Dispute  when GSP is involved,  and the Seller responds  that it is GSP  issue to ebay ! The  Ebay rep.  will close it  in sellers favor ! And Then hand the case over to GSP . My Understanding  is that Paypal is to do same thing .   I remember  Folks in ebay at time GSP was coming  out  They where Talking ON how the Sellers Will Be totally Out the Loop Because the  Buyers can't file the  MBG   Once The Package is in the Ky.  GSP HUB's Hands !  When it Come's to INR and Damage Claims . The Only thing  The GSP is out of Loop On are SNADS.  Yet Oh By Way , the Seller  has to respond to  INRs and  damage claims  opened  under the MBG .    Why is the MBG still offered  to International buyers  when GSP is used ?

HI @carlmarxx, the eBay Money Back Guarantee is offered to international buyers through GSP because there can still be an issue with the product when it arrives and there are times when it is lost or mistakenly swapped in transit to the buyer. For item not received issues, as long as the item arrived to the sort facility, the seller would not be held accountable for the refund. In the event of damage in transit, we can also extend protection to the seller and hold the third party shipper at fault.

For situations where the item did not match the listing, but it's handling in transit is not the cause, a seller would still need to provide a resolution to the buyer as normal. These could be situations of the wrong size being sent or the product not functioning as expected due to a factory defect, for example. In scenarios like these, the seller will need to work with their buyer on a return and a refund.

Message 65 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ted_200 wrote:

...when a buyer receives an item damaged through our Global Shipping Program, they would open a return on eBay and, once eBay is asked to step in, we would close the case for the buyer and the refund would process from the third party shipper.

eBay should automatically step in immediately.  Otherwise, this can happen.

...while I know that you've expressed some difficulty getting this resolved, we are do not have the ability to step in on a dispute through their protection program.

Then how would PayPal know if the buyer had a simultaneous case open on eBay?  Either you guys are talking to each other, or you're not.  Which is it?

Hi @ted_200, automatic actioning of these kinds of transactions is definitely something I can suggest for review! As for our relationship with PayPal, there is a difference between communicating with each other in a limited capacity and being able to take action on a third party claim. While we are notified if a dispute is opened through the PayPal Protection program or if a chargeback is filed through a buyer's financial institution, we cannot affect the decision of those investigations.

Message 66 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlmarxx wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

@Anonymous

WHO ASKS Ebay to step in...........the seller or the buyer..........WHAT  does the seller have to do when the case is filed??????????????? ANYTHING or do they have to call Ebay.................

Hi @dhbookds, either party can ask eBay to step in and no further steps are needed. When we are asked to step in and make a decision, it is clear to us that the transaction is a Global Shipping Program transaction and we will be able to protect a seller for loss or damage in transit. A call would not be necessary, as we can be asked to step in directly from the return request afte three full business days have passed from the day the request is opened. That being said, eBay Customer Service can override this three day waiting period if the Global Shipping Program is at fault, so you are welcome to contact Customer Service in these situations for a quicker resolution!

In the event that a buyer contacts their seller with these kinds of concerns before opening a return request, the seller can direct them to open one from their purchase history to get the resolution process started. 

More details about selling with the Global Shipping Program can be found here. Definitely let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to provide more details!

Trinton what do mean If GSP is a fault !   From I have been  told that the KY.  Hub doesn't ship out the next day .They Pack  all  packages on  too a flat that is going to the specific  country .    

HI @carlmarxx, the Global Shipping Program would be considered at fault if the item arrived to the sort facility and was later lost or damaged in transit. If I missed something in your concern regarding the responsibilities of the third party shipper, definitely let me know!

Message 67 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missjen831 wrote:

eBay doesn’t always recognize that it’s a GSP transaction, and sellers who did not call have been left holding the bag on damaged item claims. It’s documented through the boards. And PayPal also has a history of handling GSP transactions wrong, it’s documented here and in their own community.  The system does not work correctly. The seller really has to call rather than use the link to ask eBay to step in. 

Hi @missjen831, our system always recognizes a Global Shipping Program transaction and it is clearly indicated on our end for review when we are asked to step in. If a mistake is made in the original case decision, we will resolve this for a seller. Though contacting Customer Service directly is always an option if you have questions or concerns, and in this specific situation can warrant a case decision being made sooner, it is not necessary. 

Message 68 of 89
latest reply

I was told by 3 separate reps that eBay can't notify PayPal in any capacity, regarding any issue.
Message 69 of 89
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@retrogamescrafts wrote:
I was told by 3 separate reps that eBay can't notify PayPal in any capacity, regarding any issue.

Hi @retrogamescrafts, I want to reassure you that this is correct information as we are two separate companies and typically are not able to notify PayPal in situations like these. That being said, I do have personal contacts within PayPal from before our separation and am happy to reach out to them on your behalf to request this situation is reviewed. Additionally, to be clear, I won't be sharing any account specific information with them in order to preserve your privacy, but I will ask that any dispute related to this item be reviewed and ensure that this being a Global Shipping Program transaction is made clear. 

Message 70 of 89
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@carlmarxxwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

@Anonymous

HI @carlmarxx, the Global Shipping Program would be considered at fault if the item arrived to the sort facility and was later lost or damaged in transit. If I missed something in your concern regarding the responsibilities of the third party shipper, definitely let me know!

I have heard  story's  over the  years on the boards about GSP folks repacking Items up into smaller  boxs  to lower their cost's to ship them .And alway wondered if there was any truth too them.

Message 71 of 89
latest reply

The correct stand up world class thing to do because this is a ebay program that they designed and implemented is make both the seller and buyer whole again since it is a clear breakdown of their program and how is suppose to work...

Message 72 of 89
latest reply

***UPDATE***

After Trinton's interference, I received this message from PayPal:

"We've finished investigating the claim your buyer filed, and we've decided the case in the buyer's favor. We've determined, however, that the global shipping provider was at fault and is responsible for refunding the total amount of the purchase and shipping to the buyer. We won't deduct any money from your account."

I verified and the money has actually been returned to my account. Now, this was a nightmare to resolve, the system didn't do what it was supposed to do and it put me and the buyer in a very stressful situation. I don't know how this is going to be informed to the buyer, but I suspect he's going to continue to believe this was all my fault. Due to that, I will no longer use GSP, and to be honest I don't trust any part of the terms and conditions set forth by eBay or PayPal in regards to how sellers are protected. If you have to go through this level of unnecessary difficulty to get such a cut and dried case solved in the proper manner, that is a huge problem.
Message 73 of 89
latest reply

@retrogamescraftswrote:

This is exactly why I'm in this predicament. PayPal says they don't know about the issue on eBay, and Ebay says they don't know about the issue on PayPal. It is very difficult to believe that those two companies can't communicate at any level, sounds like bullsh*t to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8105U1WY9ro

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 74 of 89
latest reply

@retrogamescraftswrote:
***UPDATE***

After Trinton's interference, I received this message from PayPal:

"We've finished investigating the claim your buyer filed, and we've decided the case in the buyer's favor. We've determined, however, that the global shipping provider was at fault and is responsible for refunding the total amount of the purchase and shipping to the buyer. We won't deduct any money from your account."

I verified and the money has actually been returned to my account. Now, this was a nightmare to resolve, the system didn't do what it was supposed to do and it put me and the buyer in a very stressful situation. I don't know how this is going to be informed to the buyer, but I suspect he's going to continue to believe this was all my fault. Due to that, I will no longer use GSP, and to be honest I don't trust any part of the terms and conditions set forth by eBay or PayPal in regards to how sellers are protected. If you have to go through this level of unnecessary difficulty to get such a cut and dried case solved in the proper manner, that is a huge problem.

It’s too bad ebay and PayPal don’t realize the system doesn’t work. If it did, you wouldn’t have gone through this nightmare. Glad it all worked out in the end but it should have never required an intervention. I don’t know how they can insist the system works correctly when there are documented cases of sellers who asked eBay to step in and the “system” failed to recognize it was a GSP listing and it told the buyer to return the item to the seller at the sellers expense! I guess we will have to agree disagree with them on this issue 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 75 of 89
latest reply