cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flea market going gangbusters but eBay is deader than a dead duck.

When I do the flea market I sell neat old stuff like crazy and many times it's just as much as eBay and lesser quality. I know flea marketeers that can sell over $1,000 in less than 3 hours and most of it is rusty and worn junk. Many great items on eBay are being ignored at low prices. Much better place than most big time indoor and outdoor auctions and antique shows. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Flea market going gangbusters but eBay is deader than a dead duck.

Although 'antique' and 'flea' markets (swap meets) are DEAD in Cali...and will be so eventually everywhere else; those that do 'schlep' their items in a van/truck/wagon (whatever) and do the 'swap meet' thing- have 1 advantage over 'internet' sales. Customers can 'see it now' 'touch it now' 'buy it and have it now'.... but it's still a dying breed..... as well as 'internet' sales.

Oversaturation is the answer.

There is NO cure. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Prices and sales vary as the crow flies.  You never know what will sell where or for how much. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I think there will always will be a market for internet sales. There are many that only sell for the enjoyment they get from selling. Allows people with the same interests to connect in a way they may never have if not for selling on the net.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Flea markets can be awesome, at times.  I had a single booth for a few years & struggled to sell $100 a week.  Eventually expanded to 2 booths & did a bit better.  Once I bought an LP collection, I had 3-4 fantastic weeks until every was picked through.  Took another booth & 1/2 then bought out someone's 4 booths for a fantastic deal.  Left the original 2 & was operating 5 1/2.  Business was slowly dying so I worked myself back down to 2.  Business was lousy until I took in my sports card collection.  I had a few great weeks until someone bought everything I had left-  for $2250!  After that, I got tons of positive comments about my booths from people who would leave empty-handed.  Closed my booths & started using a friend's showcase while helping keep an eye on his space.  1 showcase wasn't worth it even though it was free.  lol  Left the market in the new year. 

eBay has been dismal, for me, over the past 2 years.  Except for 1 month, I do not get more than 9 sales over an entire month.  I know I have less than 150 items listed but it was not any better when I had over 500.  Marketplace has been ok.  I've had some great days on there but few & far in-between.  Summer ending has made absolutely no difference.  Sales are sparse.  Going to do a fall clean up & organizing around my apt.  See how much I can get listed online & try to improve things.

I do not know how my eBay began to fail so badly.  Before, I was averaging 15-20 sales per week.  Easily getting $300-500 a week.  Sometimes upwards of $800.  8-10 was a slow week.  Now a slow week equals an entire month on a regular basis?  Most items get 0-4 views over the course of a month.  Very discouraging!   Good luck to all!     🙂

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Fleas are popular here - in fact, offline shopping has gotten progressively more popular. I think people realised in the last few years how pleasant it is to get outside and away from the stifling hot box that is the online world, get coffee, go to the flea and hunt around.

But @4pawsup*  is right - there will always be a demand for online fleas, as well. Thing is, the online space is so crowded now.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I live in Wisconsin, north of Milwaukee.  I always make $1500-$2,000 per flea market show. Usually work 5-6 hours. I have regulars that place orders for me to look out for specific items. My mall booth is near Wisconsin Dells and sales are up too. The only thing that appears to be dying or slowing is ebay. Just saying.... 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@john_wade wrote:

When I do the flea market I sell neat old stuff like crazy and many times it's just as much as eBay and lesser quality. I know flea marketeers that can sell over $1,000 in less than 3 hours and most of it is rusty and worn junk.

Probably because the people who buy it are going to take it home and list it on eBay and then find out for themselves that it doesn't sell.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I'm in Ohio too.  We sell at antique shows and flea markets and do very well.  I'm thinking about branching out and selling at some local antique malls too.  I like having different venues to sell my items.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Flea markets allow you to see what you are buying and do not rely on having to rely on seller photos and descriptions which vary in quality and accuracy. You get to bring home your purchases that day, and are far less likely to be scammed than an Ebay buyer.

There are many sellers who think their photos are superb who really do not show what they are selling and its condition.

They can be social events as well as shopping trips whereas buying online is usually a solitary activity.

It can be a great way to spend a fall weekend day. And many buyers limit their purchases to the cash in their pockets.

As we come into winter the flea market sellers will see their seasonal drop or in some cases the absence of their flea market.

I've had some lulls on Ebay recently but my sales are picking up. Including some sales of types of merchandise which I thought no one cared about any more.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@john_wade wrote:

Many great items on eBay are being ignored at low prices. 

It sounds like you should be buying like crazy on eBay and selling at the flea market. 

My local flea markets are dead. The same sellers in the same spots dragging around the same tired old picked-over merchandise week after week. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Flea markets around here are kinda dead because most of the customers there are "flippers" and when Ebay isn't moving....they aren't selling anything either. 

However, at a comic show last week, where I was able to reach people buying for themselves, I did pretty well.  That's the trick around here...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Hello, I am an eBay merchant. To be honest, I am a bit tired of eBay's slow one to two buying and selling process. I have some products in my window that you can see if they are needed in the flea market. I can sell them to you at a low price so that you can sell more money. Of course, you can also ask me about the products that I don't have in my window and you need. I am surrounded by factories that can help you inquire

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hello, I am an eBay merchant. To be honest, I am a bit tired of Ebay's slow one to two buying and selling process. I have some products in my showcase that you can see if they are needed in the flea market. I can sell them to you at a low price so that you can sell them for more money. Of course, you can also ask me about the products that I don't have in my showcase and you need. There are factories around here that can help you inquire

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

It's cause you can't buy what you can't see.

eBay hides so many listings from so many buyers that your lucky to get your item seen now.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply