cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Bullying

Over a few months, I have been selling on eBay.    I am still learning this system but would like to know what to do about with particular buyers.   There are a few buyers out there who are also long-time sellers who understand how to work the system very well. They become aggressive, and if there is a slight miscommunication, they become angry and give you negative feedback.  On my side, I incorrectly put the weight of a pretty heavy piece weighing 22 lbs.  Instead, I put 12 lbs, and the shipping label was also a media label, which I have been told my item is not media and only 11.00 shipping was paid.     I mailed the item anyway, even though I may have to pay about 30.00 more for the shipped item.    Now, I have learned to double and triple-check my items when I list.    But in the meantime, I feel bullied somehow by an experienced eBay seller who was already aware of this error in the first place.  I want to avoid these aggressive individuals who don't want to abide by authenticity and integrity.  My item was already at a reduced price.    I have taken a hit on this item, plus negative feedback, and have requested to get this removed, but it is difficult just dealing with a virtual assistant and not being able to explain myself to a live person.   I am a senior citizen just trying to minimize and trying to learn computer skills, amongst other things.   Any advice would be appreciated on how to deal with the perception of what I call Ebay Bullies?   My inner instinct was not to mail this item.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay Bullying

You have the right to report buyers & sellers, Just go to help & contact & type in reporting a buyer/seller & follow the steps, You can also Block a seller or buyer, Follow the same help & contact & type in blocking a buyer/seller, & that will block them from your items, Hope that helps, Good Luck

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Sorry , but ebay will not removed the negative feedback.,

Ebay requires that you follow through with your listing ans ship.

You should have just paid the extra shipping costs on your end.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Is being able to block SELLERS a new option that I've missed?  

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

It is important to double check your listings.  After listing, you are immediately given a pop-up to "view listing". Take advantage of that. Shipping can be complicated IMO. Media mail has specific requirements. As a new seller, consider selling lower priced small items just to learn the ropes and hopefully get some positive feedbacks. As far as Ebay customer service help, you have to go through prompts to get a live agent on chat or a call back. 

We've all made listing errors. I once cancelled a sale because I had unwittingly allowed a pre-filled free shipping listing. I explained the situation to the buyer and got lucky not to receive negative feedback. Buyers will take advantage of a good deal - that's not nice (especially for a fellow seller) but I don't think it's bullying (just human nature). 

Right now your problem is to either get the negative removed or reply in a professional manner. And then get some good feedback to offset it if it isn't removed. Good luck!

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Maybe you should consider starting a new eBay account. If you make a sale ship it promptly even if you made a mistake in your pricing.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

There are several issues here, but will only comment on a few.

First, you have a Corning Ware casserole listed.  You picture one casserole, but in your description, you state there are two.  You really need to revise that.

Second, did you read anything about selling on eBay before you began listing?

Buyers come here expecting to buy, pay and receive their item.  No one wants to be your "practice" transaction.

Also, your current FB percentage is 87.5% .  Since you have not received a lot of FB yet, those two negs have done you in.  Most smart buyers won't even look at a listing from a seller with such a low percentage.

What individuals have you encountered who don't want to abide with "authenticity and integrity"?

Finally, you requested to get that FB removed? Don't think that will happen.  Those buyers simply reported their dissatisfaction with their dealings with you.  You also need to own up to your mistakes and make a sincere effort to learn about selling on eBay.

The mistakes here, as far as I can see are yours.  

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

@sunstarandmoonshop wrote:

Over a few months, I have been selling on eBay.    I am still learning this system but would like to know what to do about with particular buyers.   There are a few buyers out there who are also long-time sellers who understand how to work the system very well. They become aggressive, and if there is a slight miscommunication, they become angry and give you negative feedback.  On my side, I incorrectly put the weight of a pretty heavy piece weighing 22 lbs.  Instead, I put 12 lbs, and the shipping label was also a media label, which I have been told my item is not media and only 11.00 shipping was paid.     I mailed the item anyway, even though I may have to pay about 30.00 more for the shipped item.    Now, I have learned to double and triple-check my items when I list.    But in the meantime, I feel bullied somehow by an experienced eBay seller who was already aware of this error in the first place.  I want to avoid these aggressive individuals who don't want to abide by authenticity and integrity.  My item was already at a reduced price.    I have taken a hit on this item, plus negative feedback, and have requested to get this removed, but it is difficult just dealing with a virtual assistant and not being able to explain myself to a live person.   I am a senior citizen just trying to minimize and trying to learn computer skills, amongst other things.   Any advice would be appreciated on how to deal with the perception of what I call Ebay Bullies?   My inner instinct was not to mail this item.

ebay will not remove that feedback but I think that you responded to it OK.

One thing that I would suggest is to to accept returns because the reality of it is that you do actually accept returns.

When a buyer has a problem then they see "no returns" that can be the start to things going bad,  on the other hand when a buyer reaches out and the first thing you tell them is, sorry you are not happy but I will happily accept your return, that can go a long way to defuse the situation.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@sunstarandmoonshop 

Yeah, your in a bad situation with your stats right now with those negatives. My advice is to stop shipping items that are large, breakable and please remove items for sale that are sitting on that table. Buyers are going to want that included, they don't read half the time, lol.

Your corningware casserole listing is a mess, this item is not rare. You show only 1 casserole dish on main photo yet you are offering 2 and again its on that table. These are found in every thrift shop in the US for under $10 usually. Someone a while back started this fabrication with Corningware being worth thousands and it made news. Real collectors know better.

Practice on getting your shipping and carriers right with smaller items for now. Avoid multiple items also, you'll get the hang of it down the road. Best to you.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

You made mistakes on the lst item.......shipping weight/shipping class.......

Can't tell what happened on 2nd item, except your state you made the buyer "aware of every issue I encountered"

Buyers and Ebay expect that your listings will be accurate in every way.  The feedbacks left for are harsh, but probably would not have occurred had the mistakes not happened.  Your answers are good.......

No way to tell how buyers will react to something that goes wrong.........except to be sure your listings are accurate. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Just noticed this: " . . . buyers who know how to work the system"?

In this case, buyers for whom their transactions with you went badly and, deservedly, left the FB reflecting that.  

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

You are SO correct about the Corning Ware.  A recently married family friend went to two thrift stores and one garage sale and got about 30 pieces of it for about $70 and could have bought more but has a small kitchen with almost no storage capacity.  

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

$136  shipping on that briefcase? I hope thats an error.And dont play the age card, it doesnt go over well, thats no excuse for your mistakes.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

If you had a bad experience with a buyers you can add them to "block bidders" list (that means they cannot purchase your items or contact you).  https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

EBAY rarely, if ever, removes negative feedback (if that were the case no Seller would have negative feedback).   EBAY considers feedback "opinion" and it doesn't have to factual.  You have to develop a thick skin if you want to sell on EBAY.

If you make even the smallest mistake expect the buyer to call you out on it.   Also, you should understand there is no such thing as "no returns".   EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes "no returns" policy and allows customers to lie and claim "not as described, counterfeit, defective" you will be forced to refund (purchase price + shipping BOTH ways).   EBAY does NOT require buyer to prove their claims.   EBAY always rules in favor of the buyer.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

This is why you have to keep your guard up! There are those who buy due to a buyers mistake or not knowing what they really have of value. 

I will always review my listing when receiving an offer or question to make sure everything is good. I will also review my listings that have watchers before I entertain sending an offer. 

Not sure what you consider a senior citizen, but you seem to work on the computer pretty good. 

Can you provide some examples of what you call aggressiveness? Are they asking you to deal outside of eBay? Are they trying to tell you that your item is not worth the price and offering a lowball price? Are they asking you for something that is not even in the listing like the old 'gift card' scam?

Sellers have to do their homework and stay vigilant! This is not the good old days of honesty & integrity. Review your buyer's profile! Google map address. Spend a little coin if your still not sure for signature required. At times I take photos of my packing process. Not that is a solid, but good to have in case someone wants to play games. I print my shipping labels and go to the post office and get a printed receipt showing the package weight. 

If you ever have a buyer asking questions that are legit, be sure to update your listing. 

If you have a buyer who just keeps asking odd questions over & over, you simply add to your block list. 

Best wishes!

Message 15 of 39
latest reply