cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

To the point.  Ebay is under the delusion that, they are entitled too my SSN to sell. Just what I want to do give another company my SSN, its bad enough with credit card company's being hacked.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

I read these boards.
---------------------------------------------------------
I rest my case.

Message 76 of 119
latest reply

@veronicabooksandart wrote:

When Mercari deems it likely they will need the information, at that point, they will require it or place limitations on your account.

@veronicabooksandart, I don't see that particular statement anywhere on the Mercari site. Would you post a screenshot of where you read that?

Message 77 of 119
latest reply

I read these boards.
I rest my case.

Let's do it this way.  I'll be generous in the numbers.  Let's say there have been 50 different sellers posting that their money has been held for months as you claim.  And then let's say there are about 200 that have said there money was held for a few weeks.  That is 250 sellers out of what is likely close to 1.5 million or more in MP.

Now it should also be noted that not all the sellers in MP would be represented on the threads, so there are likely some that have these issues but never come to the threads on Ebay.

"Some have all but certainly given up."  I've got to say however I haven't read any poster post that they gave up on getting their money out of MP.  Please provide a link to that thread or threads where that was said.

And just to be sure we are clear here.  NO ONE has made light of any seller having an issue getting their money out of MP for any reason.  Whether it is MP or seller issue.  Each and every one is very important and needs to be resolve.  No exceptions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 78 of 119
latest reply

Google "Mercari Why Was I Asked To Verify My Identity"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The consensus seems to be at sales around 5K.

Message 79 of 119
latest reply

It would be quicker to just post the link: https://www.mercari.com/us/help_center/article/116/ 

Message 80 of 119
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

It would be quicker to just post the link: https://www.mercari.com/us/help_center/article/116/ 

I provided that link earlier.  It didn't seem to help.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 81 of 119
latest reply

You're brave.

• REMINDER: Just about anything and everything here is potential violation of community policy! Don't even think about it!!!!

Message 82 of 119
latest reply

I'm also not one to put my SSN out there any more than I need to, but what makes me hesitate more than anything is providing my bank account information.  I don't have a lot of confidence in eBay keeping my info secure.  After 15 years of selling a few things here and there I'm going to walk away.  Facebook marketplace for me now I guess.

Message 83 of 119
latest reply

Well, if they stayed with Paypal as an option for payment, then we wouldn't have to give our SSN (and bank account info) to eBay.  

Message 84 of 119
latest reply

Perhaps (regarding SSN), but your bank account number isn't something I've had to pass out very frequently (actually hardly ever).

Message 85 of 119
latest reply

... and if you're a casual seller?

Message 86 of 119
latest reply

I read my eBay messages and I've not seen any communication that stated I would need to provide my SSN and a bank account number to continue selling on eBay, or that Paypal was going away.

Message 87 of 119
latest reply

I guess all the sellers on eBay are "businesses" nowadays?  I was just a recreational seller, but I'm bummed that I'll not have eBay as an avenue to sell the odds & ends item when I feel like it.  😞

Message 88 of 119
latest reply

... and if they hadn't eliminated Paypal as an option, then we wouldn't be having to provide this extra information.  eBay had a choice.

Message 89 of 119
latest reply

Keep in mind that your bank account number is on every check that you've ever written.

Message 90 of 119
latest reply