cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

To the point.  Ebay is under the delusion that, they are entitled too my SSN to sell. Just what I want to do give another company my SSN, its bad enough with credit card company's being hacked.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

EIN 😁

That is what I gave eBay for managed payments 

Message 16 of 119
latest reply

"Do not have Paypal credit card, I did not give paypal SSN. The premise of using paypal and a limited line credit card attached is to add a barrier or a throw away account, in the event of account info getting out. Having already experienced it, I have zero confidence. "  

Sorry, but you are confused.

Dear BLANK,

To comply with the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) rules, we ask that you
submit your Tax ID number to us as soon as possible. Your Tax ID number is
one of these:

- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Your Employer Identification Number (EIN)

We are required to obtain tax ID numbers from all online sellers who
receive payments for goods or services through PayPal. If you do not
provide us with your Tax ID number, your account access will be limited,
and you will be unable to request or receive money. After you provide us
your Tax ID number, your account will be fully functional.

Here's how to submit your Tax ID number:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 17 of 119
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

I guess it all depends on what is required in different countries.

In the US, you can use your SSN or business ID (not sure what it's called) to set up MP.

Hope all goes good for you up there.

Thanks.

On my partner's account (which is a dot CA account), we were required to provide both our SIN numbers (that's the SSN equivalent in Canada). I was on the account as a contact managing the account, he is down as the owner. We registered as a corporation and provided the federal tax ID.

On my dot com account I'm registered as a business (but as a sole proprietor, I am not a corporation), and had to provide my tax ID (I'm pretty sure I did anyway...) They did not ask for my SIN, not sure if they will, if they do, they will be prepared to ask everyone in each country that can register on dot com.

I'm thinking of getting a US Tax ID, but need to read the requirements. If I'm required to have a US address I don't think that's such a good idea. The courier's address is my US address and they've stipulated it to be used for outgoing mail only. I don't want to get into a situation of being identified as a USA business when I'm registered, operating in, and paying taxes in Canada.

C.

Message 18 of 119
latest reply

I haven't read the Managed Payments terms on other sites, but I imagine they are the same with respect to gathering personal and financial information and forcing you to waive professional secrecy rights such the they may disseminate the information however they see fit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those ripe for marketing to with financial instruments, as has been suggested, will remain.

Message 19 of 119
latest reply

They are not just entitled to your SSN if you want to sell on ebay, they are required by law to have it.

Of course, you do have a choice here. Maybe just not the choice you prefer.

If so, write your member of Congress.

Posting ID
Message 20 of 119
latest reply

Been using PP just fine with no SSN.  They aren't racist against people without SSNs like eBay is now.

Message 21 of 119
latest reply

And what law would that be?

Message 22 of 119
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't remember ever giving my SSN to Paypal... I've had two Paypal accounts, one opened fairly recently, so I would think I'd remember that! This is true for all Paypal users? Will you now have to enter SSN to buy on eBay as well? 

Message 23 of 119
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have NEVER received this notice. I've been on Paypal for years. I don't use credit cards, though. I have a debit card only. That's also why I'm afraid of anything asking for SSN or bank info. There is less security for debit card accounts. 

Message 24 of 119
latest reply

All that info is already out there on the dark web for a price.

Right now, this very minute, if I wanted to, I could pay a price and find out all I wanted to know about anyone posting on this board  just from an Ebay ID.  I don't need your name, I don't need your SSN, I don't need your address, I don't need your email address.

The horse left the barn decades ago when it comes to internet security. If you've ever done any sort of business on the internet, even something as simple as filling out a form, your info is out there available for a price to anyone.

I'm not saying one should be stupid and blast their info everywhere, but to think that somehow withholding an SSN to receive payment on a legitimate website like Ebay (or Etsy or Mercari or Amazon) will protect your identity is naive at best.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 25 of 119
latest reply

If you have a PayPal business account, you gave them your SSN.

Message 26 of 119
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't. I have a personal account. 

Message 27 of 119
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really doubt any of that is true, and Etsy has been hacked. IDC about someone getting into my bank account. I only have $2000 in there at the most at any one time. I am afraid of releasing my SSN to eBay. These sites get hacked.

There was a data breach a long time ago when I was working for the state. Somehow, my identity got co-mingled with another state employee's. Nothing bad happened from it, but her info was on my credit reports, I got mail with her name on it. It was a mess to sort out. 

Message 28 of 119
latest reply

Ebay should get another company to handle that, they are not a Bank neither are they a financial institution. eBay having your SSN is not the same as Paypal having your SSN, lets not deceive ourselves. The best way eBay can build trust on sellers is to outsource that to another company or take some time to build a sister company which concentrate on that. You cannot rush into having a department which handle people HIGH SECURITY INFORMATION overnight taking into consideration that eBay is an open global market. 

Message 29 of 119
latest reply

@ony_chine wrote:

Ebay should get another company to handle that, they are not a Bank neither are they a financial institution. eBay having your SSN is not the same as Paypal having your SSN, lets not deceive ourselves. The best way eBay can build trust on sellers is to outsource that to another company or take some time to build a sister company which concentrate on that.  

eBay has contracted with Adyen to handle Managed Payments. They're not doing it themselves.

Message 30 of 119
latest reply