cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

To the point.  Ebay is under the delusion that, they are entitled too my SSN to sell. Just what I want to do give another company my SSN, its bad enough with credit card company's being hacked.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

You gave it to Paypal, its the law..and just like PP, the number is encrypted.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 119
latest reply

It's required by the feds for tax purposes just like @bonjourami. stated.

This is just a statement, it amazes me that people fear about their SS # so much when they post everything and everybody and every place they've been to on these social media apps. It doesn't take much to research any address or how much you paid for your home or who's related to you on sites also. Just saying...

Message 3 of 119
latest reply

You are not required in any way to give ebay your SSN.

You have every right NOT to give them that info and NOT to do business on their website. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 119
latest reply

OK Bye.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 5 of 119
latest reply

If you are doing business anywhere , and yes selling on eBay is a business part time or full time

Get an EIN number and use that for giving to eBay, wholesalers, liquidators or whomever you do business with that way you do not have to five your SSN  

Message 6 of 119
latest reply

@memyselfi2010 

Since you been switched to Managed Payments and don't want to sign up, you need to end your listings before they sell and have no way to be paid.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 119
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@memyselfi2010 

Since you been switched to Managed Payments and don't want to sign up, you need to end your listings before they sell and have no way to be paid.

I'm in a similar issue (don't have an SSN, or any other American ID because I don't have a US address and am not allowed to work in USA). I've been told there's a number of people in my situation that are registered on dot com, but in other countries and that the only requirement to give an SSN is for US residents.

My partner went into MP on the weekend and signed up with his corporation (which is what he wanted to transact on here). They sent me an email at 6am this morning telling me they couldn't verify the information. I ended all the listings (to not end up in the situation quoted above, selling and not being able to be paid). Their requirement for a corporation is a list of documents all corporations should have, but they want proof of address which we can't do because our documents are 12 years old. I thought I'd have to pay the Ontario Gov't to get them replaced, but realized they don't have his Canada Tax ID on them anyway, which is something else eBay wants.

It wasn't on the list, but I uploaded a tax return statement which had the company name, address, tax ID number and status as a corporation and in 30 minutes they accepted that, but only after I'd ended all current and scheduled listings...

This tells me eBay does have some flexibility, and I'm going to register as a business as well. My current account is a business account and they've already obtained my tax ID (and know I'm registered in Canada), so I imagine it will be fine when it's time to enroll.

C.

Message 8 of 119
latest reply

Do not have Paypal credit card, I did not give paypal SSN. The premise of using paypal and a limited line credit card attached is to add a barrier or a throw away account, in the event of account info getting out. Having already experienced it, I have zero confidence.   

Message 9 of 119
latest reply

@memyselfi2010 wrote:

To the point.  Ebay is under the delusion that, they are entitled too my SSN to sell.

Not only are entitled, it is the federal government that requires them to.

Message 10 of 119
latest reply

This must be the 100,000th identical thread about this. Let's just storm the Capitol already!

(sarcasm, please don't)

"To the point" it's been well pointed out. What's the desired counterpoint? You know what you have to do.

Message 11 of 119
latest reply

Just a long string of posts from  people who either  do not know the law or think they are above the law.

Message 12 of 119
latest reply

Members often complain that eBay wants to eliminate small sellers through one policy or another. Looks like small sellers like to OP are doing it for them by refusing to input their social security numbers . . so, if eBay is really trying to eliminate small sellers, they've found a perfect way to do it. I think it can be referred to as "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Message 13 of 119
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@memyselfi2010 

I'm in a similar issue (don't have an SSN, or any other American ID because I don't have a US address and am not allowed to work in USA). I've been told there's a number of people in my situation that are registered on dot com, but in other countries and that the only requirement to give an SSN is for US residents.

My partner went into MP on the weekend and signed up with his corporation (which is what he wanted to transact on here). They sent me an email at 6am this morning telling me they couldn't verify the information. I ended all the listings (to not end up in the situation quoted above, selling and not being able to be paid). Their requirement for a corporation is a list of documents all corporations should have, but they want proof of address which we can't do because our documents are 12 years old. I thought I'd have to pay the Ontario Gov't to get them replaced, but realized they don't have his Canada Tax ID on them anyway, which is something else eBay wants.

It wasn't on the list, but I uploaded a tax return statement which had the company name, address, tax ID number and status as a corporation and in 30 minutes they accepted that, but only after I'd ended all current and scheduled listings...

This tells me eBay does have some flexibility, and I'm going to register as a business as well. My current account is a business account and they've already obtained my tax ID (and know I'm registered in Canada), so I imagine it will be fine when it's time to enroll.

C.

I guess it all depends on what is required in different countries.

In the US, you can use your SSN or business ID (not sure what it's called) to set up MP.

Hope all goes good for you up there.

Have a great day.
Message 14 of 119
latest reply

@memyselfi2010 wrote:

I did not give paypal SSN.

You may not remember doing it - it's been a long time. The law requiring payment processors to report transactions to the IRS with a 1099K was passed n 2008.

Message 15 of 119
latest reply