cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

To the point.  Ebay is under the delusion that, they are entitled too my SSN to sell. Just what I want to do give another company my SSN, its bad enough with credit card company's being hacked.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Ebat requiring Bank account number ans SSN

@ony_chine wrote:

eBay should take this gradual , they should not force sellers to jump onto Adyen  suddenly. If  one or two sellers give great review on the new payment platform , all sellers will embrace it.

This has been announced MULTIPLE times over the past two and a half years.  Sellers have had plenty of time to prepare.

How much more gradual do you want it?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 46 of 119
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Honey, I don't process $1000 a year. It must be nice to make that selling on eBay. 

Message 47 of 119
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adyen sounds like a celebrity baby name, or a teen mom's baby name.

Message 48 of 119
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@ony_chine wrote:

eBay should take this gradual , they should not force sellers to jump onto Adyen  suddenly. If  one or two sellers give great review on the new payment platform , all sellers will embrace it.

This has been announced MULTIPLE times over the past two and a half years.  Sellers have had plenty of time to prepare.

How much more gradual do you want it?

While @ony_chine has clearly missed much of the conversations, emails and even Seller Updates that have discussed MP over the past 3 years, they have also missed that far more than one or two sellers have stated they are doing fine in MP.  They may not like everything, but it works.

I do however support Ebay slowing down the onboarding of sellers due to the lack of available customer service.  They can't support the sellers they have now, continuing to add more sellers just increases the issues unnecessarily.  They can't staff up fast enough to keep pace.  Just having a warm body taking the calls just isn't enough.  They need to be trained too so they can be effective.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 49 of 119
latest reply

Making announcements is not the same as establishing trust walk, if sellers really trust what is going on then eBay wont be under pressure to give deadline.

Message 50 of 119
latest reply

Are you saying it has been announced for about 3yrs? So are  you counting 2020 as part of the 3yrs? The announcement I know seems to be about 2years, minus 2020, its like 1year or less in reality.

Message 51 of 119
latest reply

The original announcement about the transition to Adyen for payments processing was almost exactly 3 years ago: January 31, 2018.  Implementation of the first wave of sellers was later in 2018.   For  a while there was a special discussion board  but eventually it was dropped due to lack of activity.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-to-Intermediate-Payments-on-its-Marketplace-Platfor...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-Begins-Managing-Payments/ba-p/29005555

Message 52 of 119
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@memyselfi2010 wrote:

I did not give paypal SSN.

You may not remember doing it - it's been a long time. The law requiring payment processors to report transactions to the IRS with a 1099K was passed n 2008.

Not sure how it would be now, but when they first passed that, I think PP only asked when you were getting over a certain amount in a certain period of time, in case you went over the 200 transactions and 20k limit.

I don't know if very small sellers who have been around before that would have been asked for one if they only sold a few things for a few hundred/thousand dollars per year. But my guess is that they probably changed it years ago for new sellers.

Message 53 of 119
latest reply

To comply with the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) rules, we ask that you
submit your Tax ID number to us as soon as possible. Your Tax ID number is
one of these:

- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- Your Employer Identification Number (EIN)

We are required to obtain tax ID numbers from all online sellers who
receive payments for goods or services through PayPal. If you do not
provide us with your Tax ID number, your account access will be limited,
and you will be unable to request or receive money. After you provide us
your Tax ID number, your account will be fully functional.

Here's how to submit your Tax ID number:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 54 of 119
latest reply

@ony_chine wrote:

Making announcements is not the same as establishing trust walk, if sellers really trust what is going on then eBay wont be under pressure to give deadline.

I don't think that is what @southern*sweet*tea was saying.  And I also don't think this is true.  Every single year there is some big change that Ebay makes and then the threads are full of complaints, concerns, assumptions and predictions of Ebay going under because of it.

2019 it was GTC Mandate and lots of sellers posted that GTC is really easy to work with and they have been successful sellers using GTC for years.

Other years it was when Ebay mandated PP for sellers, all the same concerns were raised and just as many sellers were going to leave Ebay over it.  There was when they took away a sellers ability to leave negative or neutral FB on buyers as well, Simplified Returns, etc.  Something at least once a year.

Message 55 of 119
latest reply

@ony_chine wrote:

Are you saying it has been announced for about 3yrs? So are  you counting 2020 as part of the 3yrs? The announcement I know seems to be about 2years, minus 2020, its like 1year or less in reality.

You just missed some of the discussions and information shared by Ebay.  It has been a good 3 years.  Some sellers have been in MP for over 2.5 years.

Message 56 of 119
latest reply

@ra_201044 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@memyselfi2010 wrote:

I did not give paypal SSN.

You may not remember doing it - it's been a long time. The law requiring payment processors to report transactions to the IRS with a 1099K was passed n 2008.

Not sure how it would be now, but when they first passed that, I think PP only asked when you were getting over a certain amount in a certain period of time, in case you went over the 200 transactions and 20k limit.

I don't know if very small sellers who have been around before that would have been asked for one if they only sold a few things for a few hundred/thousand dollars per year. But my guess is that they probably changed it years ago for new sellers.

It was 2011/2012.  And PP could not wait until someone exceeded the requirements for a 1099K to then ask the seller for the SSN.  That would leave them wide open for federal penalties if the seller refused to give it or otherwise delayed giving it to them until after the date the forms had to be filed.

Now, some 8 years later.  IRS and undated some of their requirements of Money Processors / Transmitters and there is the addition of the requirements of the AMLs [Anti Money Laundering Laws].  AMLs have specific requirements on how identities have to be verified.  And this is likely the cause of much of what MP is doing to verify identities.

Message 57 of 119
latest reply

I think it’s more people that don’t trust ebay to have it.

If your going to give them this information make sure you have a separate bank account. Never allow anyone to deposit into or debit out of your main accounts.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 58 of 119
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

I think it’s more people that don’t trust ebay to have it.

If your going to give them this information make sure you have a separate bank account. Never allow anyone to deposit into or debit out of your main accounts.

This is just common sense selling anywhere online. Paypal never had my household bank account, neither did Etsy or Mercari or Amazon.  If you sell online anywhere, that money needs to go into its own account, set up for the specific purpose of receiving online payments, then when that money hits, you sweep it out.

Never, ever, ever combine business funds with household or personal funds.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 59 of 119
latest reply

You should have just placed you account in "time away" mode.

Message 60 of 119
latest reply