cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer wants refund for delivered package

Package was shipped and delivered via USPS Priority. Tracking number shows that it was delivered on April 24th, and this request came in today, 5/9. The buyer states that he "needs proof of delivery, or, if that's not possible, a refund". 

What's the proper stance on this one? I feel like I did my part, and it's been two weeks since it was delivered.  At the very least, they should be in contact with their carrier. Am I wrong?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Give them the tracking # and nicely tell them to check on the USPS site.........  It may be an honest mistake......someone in the house could have put the item in a "safe" place.........

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If they want proof, take a screen shot of the tracking on usps.com showing it was delivered.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If he open a item not delivered case, make sure you put in the tracking number. If not just send him the tracking number and have them contact the Post office.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If they want proof, take a screen shot of the tracking on usps.com showing it was delivered.

This is what I do.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Did you enter the tracking number for the item on the sale?

Does tracking show delivered?

What was the value?

If it's over $750 did you get signature upon delivery for your protection in cases like this?

Did they open an INR case (item not received)?

If they did and you have tracking posted on the sale and it shows delivered, you've done everything eBay requires of you and they will lose the case.

Although, they can still go to their credit card company and file a charge back for item not received and will probably win.

It's the buyers responsibility to have a safe and secure place for packages. 

If you have the tracking, you can let the buyer know tracking shows delivered and have them check around and with neighbors. 

They can also contact their local post office and have the carrier check. When it's scanned delivered, they know exactly where it was delivered. If misdelivered, the post office can try to retrieve it.

Good luck to you

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

My template for responding to a buyer when tracking says delivered and they either reach out via message or via Item Not Received (INR) with eBay.  I've never had to refund a buyer for a package that tracking shows as Delivered.

--------------------

I understand you are indicating you have not received your package that tracking # [NUMBER] shows as [DELIVERED WHERE]. Could it be possible the order was placed with an old address? From the order, your package was shipped to:

[ADDRESSS]

If this is your current and correct address, then other possibilities can be it was picked up by another member of the household. I'd recommend checking to see if someone else in the house has picked up your package. You may also wish to see if a neighbor picked it up either by mistake or intentionally, thinking your package was at risk of being stolen.

Sometimes it unfortunately happens that a USPS mailperson ends up behind in their route and scans a package Delivered at the end of their shift but ends up delivering it the next day. Now, they are absolutely not supposed to do this, but it does happen, so it may arrive tomorrow or the next business day.

Next, at the time of the Delivery scan, the GPS coordinates of where it was scanned as delivered are recorded. You could take your tracking number to your local post office, and as the recipient of the package, would have the right to request they give you the coordinates of where the package was delivered. This may assist you in locating your package.

Hope that helps!

----------------------------

Additional:

Two weeks, hmm... Was the address it was shipped to a 'Freight Forwarder'?  The two weeks after delivery could also be the time it took for the package to make the journey after it reached the freight forwarder.

Note, if that is the case, you are protected.  Your job was to get the package to the address provided, which you have tracking to prove that you did.

See below on what happens if the buyer chose to have the package sent to another address after delivery.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Relevant section:

The item was sent to another address after original delivery

Not covered:

• The buyer used third-party freight forwarding or mail redirection

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

from above .... "If they did and you have tracking posted on the sale and it shows delivered, you've done everything eBay requires of you and they will lose the case."    

you will still need to add the tracking number to the actual INR case ..... it does not transfer from order to case ...

and i usually add that it shows delivery on XXX date and location (mailbox, front door, etc)

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I print straight from ebay so the tracking info automatically populates the shipping info as soon as I print the label. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

but you will still need to add it to an INR case .... 🙂

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

If the buyer did not file a INR (item not received) case, do nothing.

You may still communicate with the buyer if you wish.

I would just let them know that tet them know the tracking shows it delivered

and if they wish to file a INR case, they may do so via ebay.

If the buyer did file a INR case, just respond to it.

Even though you bought the label on ebay and ebay already has it

YOU MUST RESPOND TO THE CASE WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER!

I can not stress that enough.  Without it you will lose.

If you do these things you will win the INR case.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

The tracking number when input into usps web site will show the packages' complete history of travel, including delivery.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

If I get these and it shows delivered but customer said did not get it. I call the destination PO where the package was delivered and I get confirmation from them of the delivery scan. I then tell them that the destination PO shows via a GPS scan that the package was delivered at Blank ADDRESS TO RECIPIENT NAME ETC. I Tell them they can call and I give them the phone number and address of where the destination PO is. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

There IS an offical USPS form called Proof of Delivery, I was just researching it the other day for a seller.  However, it really isn't necessary in this case.  When they file the INR, just put the tracking number in the case.  As long as there's a Delivered Scan, you're good to go, Ebay will find in your favor. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I have had this happen a few times. If the buyer files an INR with ebay, often they will just refund the buyer without penalizing the seller (if the seller provides the tracking showing delivered). On expensive items, they may not be so generous...but on cheap items, it's just easier for them to refund. Just tell your buyer (nicely) to file an INR and ebay will probably just refund them. You keep your money and good rating and the buyer gets their money back and is happy....

Message 15 of 17
latest reply