cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@becksrelics wrote:

Jeff, you kindof lost me on that one...sorry , guess I'm a little or lot dense. 

My reading of your post at https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Click-to-view-entire-descripton-What-the-heck/m-p/23621549/hig... was that you thought sellers should be protected from defects for any reason during the test. We will protect seller from any issues that are the direct link to the test, but we're not going to protect a seller from any issue (such as ones not tied to the test like failing to ship an item) just because there is a test going on.

Message 226 of 1,018
latest reply

@amazingarts wrote:

@what-else wrote:

It's not so much that I want to be opted out of this test - I want my listings to be opted out of this test!

YES,

JEFF, I WANT CONFIRMATION THAT MY LISTINGS WILL NOT BE A PART OF THIS TEST.

WHEN CAN I EXPECT CONFIRMATION?

You won't get that confirmation. Opting out of the test is not an option.

Message 227 of 1,018
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

You mean the same app that show Free Shipping on listings with shipping charged? The app that does't show any relevant info until you click stupid buttons? The app that has BID/BIN without requiring the user to even CLICK on description or to show more photos?

That app?

In 40+ years of programming everything you can imagine any way possible, this change is the one that would put me over the top where I would recommend firing the entire IT staff from the top down and starting fresh.

I'm not aware of the Free Shipping issue you're describing. I know there was an issue last week that we corrected. Is that the issue you're describing. Is it still happening to anyone?

The app showing free shipping when the seller charges for shipping has been around pretty much since the app came out.

And you can easily find the many threads about it.

Anyone who is experiencing this issue should report it to CS so it can be addressed.

Message 228 of 1,018
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

You mean the same app that show Free Shipping on listings with shipping charged? The app that does't show any relevant info until you click stupid buttons? The app that has BID/BIN without requiring the user to even CLICK on description or to show more photos?

That app?

In 40+ years of programming everything you can imagine any way possible, this change is the one that would put me over the top where I would recommend firing the entire IT staff from the top down and starting fresh.

I'm not aware of the Free Shipping issue you're describing. I know there was an issue last week that we corrected. Is that the issue you're describing. Is it still happening to anyone?

The app showing free shipping when the seller charges for shipping has been around pretty much since the app came out.

I think it's been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now.

I don't recall it. We had a chat yesterday. Can you post the link to the post in this week's chat about this issue? Thanks.

Message 229 of 1,018
latest reply

One comment on a commerce syte speculates that soon there will be a fee that sellers have to pay in order for their description to be visible to all viewers....  It wouldn't surprise me if that's how this turns out.

Message 230 of 1,018
latest reply

@circa1901 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

That app?

I think it's been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now.

Yes, it has. It's disingenuous of Jeff to state otherwise.

You can get the URL for any specific post by clicking on the Options link within that post adn clicking on Highlight. The URL in your browser will change to the URL for that post. I'll check back later for the link to a post in the past couple of chats about this issue.

Remember, this needs to be different than the issue we had a week ago Wednesday that we resolved that same day. Thanks.

Message 231 of 1,018
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@semantic_memory wrote:

I would like to opt out of the test.  How do I do that?  It appears my pages are back to normal, at least for the time being, but I would like the option of opting out of such tests in the future.  Any chance of making the opt out option available to us?

Clear your cookies and/or try a different browser or device. The test is assigned randomly, so by coming to the site fresh may move you into a non-test group.

And how will all the buyers that come to eBay know to this, and how to do this?

Buyers will be automatically directed into the test or not randomly.

Message 232 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@amazingarts wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

@jeff wrote:

It's a test. We'll see if having a consistent experience between the platforms has any impact or not.

What sort of "impact" are you looking for?  What exactly are you trying to measure? 

Increase/decrease in sales? 

Increase in buyerbacking out of a listing? 

Sorry, I don't know the specific measures of this test.

I want confirmation that i have been opted out of this test Jeff.

There is no way to opt out of the test.

Yes there is Jeff.    
I have already ended ALL buying here some 5 months ago.....I have no problem giving up 2-3 sales a week  (when I used to do 15-20 a week 4 years ago).  
When you go from  2K profit per week to 300.00 profit per week because of Ebays incompetent leadership and employees,.... walking away becomes easy.
We are sick of this stupidity Jeff.  You treat sellers worse than dirt, and expect us to be happy and take it, and want to tell the world about Ebay?
What we are saying to the world about ebay is not good.
End the freaking test now, or my listing go bye bye in the morning.

Message 233 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

From a buyer's point of view, I HATE IT! 

Buyers DO NOT like this experience.

As I've already posted, browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? It's inefficient and inconvenient. And those are the kindest words I can use.

Please, please don't do this to the computer version of the site. 

Now, how do I opt-out??

As a buyer, you may be able to opt out by clearing your cookies or changing your browser or device. Users who are selected for the test are selected randomly, so by clearing your cookies or using a different browser or device, you'll be randomly assigned or not assigned to the test.

If you have feedback on the new design, you can click on the "tell us what you think" link beneath the item description button.

Jeff, my buyer and seller account is in this beta.  From what i found out this has been going on for a month and has 2 weeks to go.

How do you think it is fair that i should take a financial hit for the entire test while others dont have to expeiriance this loss of revenue like myself.

I started seeing lots of listings as a buyer without descriptions for the past 2 weeks now.  I did not discover this until today.

I can imagine what potential buyers are thinking of me as a seller and what is happening to me as a seller right at this moment.

1.  Buyer thinks i am lazy not putting in a description.  Potential future business loss and loss incurring right now because of it.

2.  Buyer writes to me asking about things that are in description, i think buyer just isn't reading the description, i tell them to read description. 

Buyer thinks i am a jerk and does not bid or buy item.  Potential future business loss and loss incurring right now because of it.

3.  I do all this work setting up my terms and my detailed description only to have it hidden. 

4.  I have had 3 buyers tell me they did not know they were in a test until i told them and this is just today.  They also have not bought from these sellers who have a hidden description and have passed over items with what they think is no description.  How do you expect them to know this without telling them????

5.  No notice to buyers on this Beta,  they have no clue as to push this link to see a description, it took me 2 weeks to notice.  They may never notice and then beta is done.  Buyers will think less of me as a seller.

6.  As a seller i did not know ALL my items were in a test until i looked at my items as a buyer.  No notice to sellers.  Is that because your team KNEW this was going to cost them financially?  How did you choose which sellers would incure a financial loss?

7. Because now that my reputation is being tarnished that it appears i dont put in item descriptions and because i KNOW this is costing me financialy, i would like to know how i will be compensated for the loss of revenue this is costing me right now??

Message 234 of 1,018
latest reply

I think I see why next week's chat was preemptively cancelled. Can't say I blame them. I wouldn't want to represent ebay with this stuff going on.

Message 235 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@becksrelics wrote:

Jeff, you kindof lost me on that one...sorry , guess I'm a little or lot dense. 

My reading of your post at https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Click-to-view-entire-descripton-What-the-heck/m-p/23621549/hig... was that you thought sellers should be protected from defects for any reason during the test. We will protect seller from any issues that are the direct link to the test, but we're not going to protect a seller from any issue (such as ones not tied to the test like failing to ship an item) just because there is a test going on.

Jeff you had said : "Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify as resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact the seller's standing."

And I said : Ya know, might ebay take it one logical step further : Regarding the concerns over buyers who don't read the descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that we can identify resulting from this test will be removed and will not impact th seller's standing.

Maybe I  can clarify-if buyers don't read descriptions, any negative feedback left for a seller that ebay can identify will be removed and will not impact seller's standing. (No mention by me of a seller failing to ship an item) Just plain ole , buyers not reading descriptions..., nothing more , nothing less.

Message 236 of 1,018
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
So eBay is going to provide PC owners with the disadvantages of a smart phone's small screen?

The new version of eBay for desktop computers: The eBay site will open in a 5" diagonal browser window. If you force resize the window bigger, only the 5" diagonal area will be used. If possible, all address bars, bookmark bars, and toolbars will be hidden. It will be impossible to open a link in a new window (or tab) - following a link will cause the entire (small) window to change.

EBay will call this the new "eBay all day" experience. The intent is that users will keep this tiny window open all day while they do their other computer tasks...

Message 237 of 1,018
latest reply

Remember, this needs to be different than the issue we had a week ago Wednesday that we resolved that same day. Thanks.

Will threads from 2014 help?   Here is a post on a thread:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello lacemaker3,

Without having more details regarding the transaction and the buyer and seller's interaction, we can't address the question properly. We are not aware of a glitch that would cause this.

I know that eBay employees can't read every thread and post, but it has been reported in the Answer Center for a long time, so I was hoping that you would have been aware of it and fixed it. 

I have never heard of any acknowledgement or fix or work-around, and as you can imagine, it causes a lot of buyer unhappiness, which the sellers are getting blamed for.

Here are some more threads that report the issue. All the responders have been able to do, is say it's a known glitch, so make sure you view the listing on your computer before you purchase it. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of using a mobile app, I think.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/I-won-2items-from-the-same-seller-The-listing-said-free-...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/CHARGED-4-95-ON-FREE-SHIPPING-ITEMS-I-CONTACTED-SELLER-W...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/What-happens-if-I-click-quot-Add-to-Cart-quot-and-theere...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/Shipping-Requested-when-shipping-calculator-says-FREE-AN...

I searched for "mobile glitch free shipping" to find these threads:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=qanda-b...

From this link:  

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Mobile-Team-September-24-2014/td-p/22753695/highlight/true/page/4

Message 238 of 1,018
latest reply

@sugarnspice777 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@holidayshopper201 wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

From a buyer's point of view, I HATE IT! 

Buyers DO NOT like this experience.

As I've already posted, browsers have built in pop-up blockers for a reason - people HATE pop-ups!  Who at eBay thought this was a good idea? It's inefficient and inconvenient. And those are the kindest words I can use.

Please, please don't do this to the computer version of the site. 

Now, how do I opt-out??

As a buyer, you may be able to opt out by clearing your cookies or changing your browser or device. Users who are selected for the test are selected randomly, so by clearing your cookies or using a different browser or device, you'll be randomly assigned or not assigned to the test.

If you have feedback on the new design, you can click on the "tell us what you think" link beneath the item description button.

Jeff, my buyer and seller account is in this beta.  From what i found out this has been going on for a month and has 2 weeks to go.

How do you think it is fair that i should take a financial hit for the entire test while others dont have to expeiriance this loss of revenue like myself.

I started seeing lots of listings as a buyer without descriptions for the past 2 weeks now.  I did not discover this until today.

I can imagine what potential buyers are thinking of me as a seller and what is happening to me as a seller right at this moment.

1.  Buyer thinks i am lazy not putting in a description.  Potential future business loss and loss incurring right now because of it.

2.  Buyer writes to me asking about things that are in description, i think buyer just isn't reading the description, i tell them to read description. 

Buyer thinks i am a jerk and does not bid or buy item.  Potential future business loss and loss incurring right now because of it.

3.  I do all this work setting up my terms and my detailed description only to have it hidden. 

4.  I have had 3 buyers tell me they did not know they were in a test until i told them and this is just today.  They also have not bought from these sellers who have a hidden description and have passed over items with what they think is no description.  How do you expect them to know this without telling them????

5.  No notice to buyers on this Beta,  they have no clue as to push this link to see a description, it took me 2 weeks to notice.  They may never notice and then beta is done.  Buyers will think less of me as a seller.

6.  As a seller i did not know ALL my items were in a test until i looked at my items as a buyer.  No notice to sellers.  Is that because your team KNEW this was going to cost them financially?  How did you choose which sellers would incure a financial loss?

7. Because now that my reputation is being tarnished that it appears i dont put in item descriptions and because i KNOW this is costing me financialy, i would like to know how i will be compensated for the loss of revenue this is costing me right now??

This is good feedback. You should copy it into the message box you'll see when you click on the "tell us what you think" link so the team running this test can read it.

By the way, some of your points seem to indicate that "it took you 2 weeks to notice" the test or that your buyers didn't notice until today. The test started last night.

Message 239 of 1,018
latest reply

@haneshaw wrote:

I think I see why next week's chat was preemptively cancelled. Can't say I blame them. I wouldn't want to represent ebay with this stuff going on.

Actually, it was cancelled because I'm scheduled for jury duty and Griff is out of town. But I'm here now if you have any questions. You don't have to wait until a Weekly Chat if you have any questions.

Message 240 of 1,018
latest reply