cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone @ eBay please clarify WHY we are losing from the 200 FREE listings when Auctions renew?

Hi anyone reading this as an eBay employee: Can you please clarify for those of us who have received a promo of 200 FREE listings why the automatically renewing listings are being taken out of the 200 FREE listings promos, despite the fact that these Auction style listings have a check-box and a text that reassures us the listing will be renewed 8 times for FREE? 

I was glad to have received this promo and was intending to add a few new items, but now I am not sure it is a good idea. In the past, the Auction style listings renewed automatically when the box was checked, and never took away any of the 50 FREE listings we all get. 

As you see from other threads on this board, some sellers contacted CS just to be told that they are wrong about their expectation for those Auction listings being FREE renewals. 

I currently have 234 active listings but after renewing a few last night, I am already at 150+ FREE listings being gone - poof (I did not renew that many). 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

PW

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Can someone @ eBay please clarify WHY we are losing from the 200 FREE listings when Auctions ren

Yes, this Auction counting against the 200 promo shouldn't be.

I listed item on March 14 and instead of listing fixed price for a month, I chose to list as an AUCTION with 9 free relists

But since I choose to activate the promo, EBAY is looking at these as new listing but even according to ebay's help page ---only the original listing date should be new

NOTE it states ORIGINAL listing is charged but not future automatic renewals of auctions
"We charge an insertion fee (or count it as a zero insertion fee listing) for the original auction-style listing. Automatic relists are free for all non-business sellers except for listings in the eBay Vehicles categories.

So instead of getting the 9 weeks I was promised , I only received 3 weeks---so I should have listed as a fixed price for 4 weeks!

Message 31 of 72
latest reply

Re: Can someone @ eBay please clarify WHY we are losing from the 200 FREE listings when Auctions ren

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

UPDATE

Looks like eBay did the right thing, this time! Just sent another 200 FREE listings, good until April 30th. I hope everyone in the same pair of shoes (humph, squirrels don't need shoes or horse-shoes!) got the same offer? 

PW🐿

I, and many others have had the offer of 200 twice on all accounts on Mar 31. 

Are you saying that you now have 600 ?  200 offered 3 times?   If not then it is not eBay "doing the right thing". Just a delay in your offer.

Still does not cover the loss of "up to 8 no fee relists" for some sellers caught unaware

No,  I did not get the second one until today, so now I have the second 200 plus the tiny leftover from the first 200 (which will be eaten up by the automatic relists, pretty fast. 

But with the second 200, I can make it work so that I carefully portion the NEW listings, say, 5-10 per diem. The first 200 started April 1st, valid till April 30th. This second batch of 200 free listings has a start date of April 04, END date: April 30th. So, for whatever reason, I received it with a delay when compared to other sellers. Alas, I can use it, so I am good for now. [Cannot promise to always be good, though...the platter of cheeky little feet in the background. What would life look like, without the occasional mischief. ]

Be well

PW🐿

Message 32 of 72
latest reply

@upgradedendmills Thank you! I appreciate the pieces of advice. 

PW🌞🎀🐿

Message 33 of 72
latest reply

I wasn't aware of this "community" message board and contacted Ebay about my "FREE" relistings being taken from the 200.  Their reply cited one of my ads which they claimed was listed 15 times and had 3 to go... and that I had to pay for relistings if there were no free PROMO listings available.  The item with 15 listings had run months ago using the 8 free relists.  It ended and I then renewed it using up a listing (and checking the FREE relist box).  It's run for 5 weeks WITHOUT  using up any of my listings... until now.  I had 377 ads renewing this weekend and have now removed about 120 relists.  The FREE relists have used up 72 of the 200 so far.  If the 377 ads run for the rest of the promised  "FREE" listings I could be paying for over a thousand of them.  So... I will have to end the rest of the Auction renewals tomorrow night (giving up hundreds of promised free listings) and next week will offer a bunch at FIXED.  The free Auction relists has worked perfectly since November... but somebody screwed up somewhere and they seem unwilling to admit it and correct it.

Message 34 of 72
latest reply

I read the "Restrictions and Exclusions" on this 200 Free Listings offer. One line reads "Auction-style listings created during the Promotion Period must sell with the first listing period to be eligible for this promotion."

Now... does that mean that If I list 200 items, and sell 40, I pay an insertion fee for the 160 unsold listings?

Are sellers in for a shock when they get their next invoice and hundreds of seemingly 'Free" listings are charged for?    How did this all get so confusing?

Message 35 of 72
latest reply

Couldn't time and use since I listed some auctions on march 11th with the 8x free renewals and didn't have ESP to know that ebay was going to give the promo that changed the free relistings to be deducted each week.  The 8x renewals wouldn't expire until May so no way to wait for that.

And the 8 time free Auction relist is available every time one lists an auction--it is not a special promo.   You Choose 4 weeks FP or 9weeks Auction--usually.

I can work around it by canceling the auctions that would run for 1 week and make it a fixed price for 4 weeks--but lots of work.

Plus not sure sure what will happen at the end of the month.  Will the auctions continue to count against the listing total if they were activated during the 200 promo.

So now the Auctions are GTC instead of stopping at the end of the chosen duration1 week or 9 weeks.

Interesting that no one from ebay has appeared on any of the conversations about this--or at least I haven't seen any.

Message 36 of 72
latest reply

I got the 200 & the next 200 listings. My up to 8 times free relist took them all!!!! I cant list anything this month! Its USELESS! On top of it EBAY says i wouldve been charged for my free relists if it didnt use them. So frustrated! Thanks for NOTHING! 

Message 37 of 72
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

You need to tag one of the blues for best results.

@Anonymous   would you please help the OP

Hi @mcdougle4248, I've reached out to our promotions team to get some more information on this and will be happy to update the thread with more details when they become available.

Message 38 of 72
latest reply

Exactly right.  I never even added ONE ad before 70+ of the "Free 200" was used up with relistings.  Some of those relists were of the 50 free you get each month.  Those are not even ambiguous.  It states flat-out when you click the option that there is NO charge for 8 relists.     Apparently, if you didn't accept this 200+ offer it would have been business as usual with no interruption of the free relists.  Somebody in the Promotions Department just screwed up... and **bleep**-off a lot of their sellers.  They need to undo this.

Message 39 of 72
latest reply

I am having the same problem. I have gone round and round with customer service.  They contradict each other and nothing gets solved.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one but I would like it fixed

Message 40 of 72
latest reply

To All:

GTC listings while keeping the same ID number are treated (for promos and fees) as if you created a new listing each time it "renews" so it would come off the promos.

Auctions with that little box clicked are NOT treated the same way and should not be coming off this promo which is what Prettywoman's issue is.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 41 of 72
latest reply

I am seeing the same issue. I have attempted to contact eBay support, but they do not seem to understand. This appears to be a change in policy and unfortunately a change that took place at a very inopportune time given the current situation for many sellers.

Message 42 of 72
latest reply

@weisslanebooks wrote:

I am seeing the same issue. I have attempted to contact eBay support, but they do not seem to understand. This appears to be a change in policy and unfortunately a change that took place at a very inopportune time given the current situation for many sellers.

Did you receive the second 200 FREE listings promo? I did. So, apparently, somebody WAS listening - but nobody admitted to the error, by eBay. 

PW

Message 43 of 72
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@weisslanebooks wrote:

Did you receive the second 200 FREE listings promo? I did. So, apparently, somebody WAS listening - but nobody admitted to the error, by eBay. 

PW

Pretty most of us got the second one with in hours of the first one... I have 2 200 ones and the 50k + the regular store...

The whole mess could have been done so much better but w/e at least they were free.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 44 of 72
latest reply

Keep in mind if you use the 400-600 "FREE listings" promotions.  You will have to pay the listing fee for any that DO NOT SELL.

Under "Restrictions and Exclusions" they state:

• Auction-style listings created during the Promotion Period must sell within the first listing period to be eligible for the Promotion; Fixed Price and Buy It Now listings must sell before the listing is automatically renewed.

So... if you sell 100 of 600 Promotion Listings you will have to pay listing fees for the 500 that didn't sell.   

The real kicker is that if you "Accepted" their offer and now would rather just list using your monthly 50 (and not pay a listing fee)... you can't get to the 50  because Ebay uses Promotional listings first.

I don't know why this crazy promotion has been tied to already listed items.  It sure ruined everything. 

Message 45 of 72
latest reply