cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers not reading FULL item description

I am increasingly having to send my full item descriptions in private messages to buyers before and after they buy. (which is difficult as the messaging only gives a limited amout of letters!!!!) As they are not realising that they have to click on the : Read more part of the item description. On their device, phone or app! They are only reading the small amout that is shown by the eBay app that is small mixed up parts of the item description, where the buyers get extremely confused.

Most of my day is taken up by private messaging customers to please click on the READ MORE!!! I have had a number of customers actually admit they didn't know this excisted and where delighted that I took time out to explain this. But I am spending more and more time everyday explaining a fault that I am sure the eBay app could as least make this more CLEAR for the buyer to see. 

It is causing, buyers to complain once item arrives about size of item wrong item ect ect.

Is anyone else out there experiencing the same problems.

Pixy xx

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Buyers not reading FULL item description

My returns are increasing because buyers are not reading the full item description to find out if the item they are purchasing is compatible.  When they receive the item and install it, obviously it’s not going to work. Then they open a return stating the item isn’t as described and does not work.  Had they simply read the description they would have known it wasn’t compatible in the first place.  It’s very difficult to get buyers to admit they ordered the wrong item once they’ve received it.  The only communication they are interested in is typing angry e-mails about my misrepresentation and then I have to convince them and customer service that I am not the one responsible.   Such a hassle!

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Totally Agree! Not as described returns are killing me!
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

My last Not as desribed  I received was returned because the buyer stated it didnt look authentic !!

No its not authentic it is an aftermarket part Read the description.  I tried to fight it with ebay they sent me this.

Thank you for contacting us in regards to closing case #( blank)  with buyer (blocked bidder.) I apologize that the case is not going in a way that is not satisfactory to you, and I would like to explain what the next steps are.

Since the buyer did send the item back, we do require a refund to be given, and in this case, because the return was approved knowing the situation, a full refund is required. When a case is escalated, the ability to charge anything less than a full refund, is now void. What we can do now, is place the case on hold for 5 calendar days for you to refund the buyer, in full, voluntarily. Once we have a screen shot of the refund, we can close this case without a defect on your account.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I totally understand, it is a complete hasstle, that the buyer dosn't read the description, and we are all suffering with returns & refunds.

But as I was saying in my previous posts is that basicly most buyers are completely unaware they have to click on the.... READ MORE on the phone app to see the description.

I have had hundreds of customers that have admitted to me that they did not know that the item description was there if you click read more!!! (crazy I know!!!) and have been thankful that I took time out to explain this to them. Sadly to say the eBay phone apps are at fault here, for trying to save room & hide the descriptions in tiny boxes all jumbled up.

We all have devoted time and lots of effort  to write up these discriptions.... That sadly hardley anyone sees or reads now due to this phone app "Saving room" fault.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

Too many people not interested in reading, reminds me of a co worker who told me she thought a note to a nurse was in secret code.... we call it handwriting in cursive.  Used to be read by all who had managed to pass 3rd grade.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

I give.  I do the best to provide information.  I also put lots of pictures.  You just have to scroll through them.  My buyers are frequently unaware that they can see lots of them

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

I guess my point here is its the customers responsibility  to be sure they know what they are buying. When they buy the  item I have no idea if that is what they want I just ship it.  If there not sure then they need to ask before they buy it.  Do you go into Wal Mart grab a piece of clothing off the shelf and buy it without  reading the size?

On the other side of this I also see many listings with a one sentence or less description on an item that is on ebay for sale.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@grannywith6wrote:
LOL, do you need lessons?

😉

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

I say this all the time..i have shipping and cart discounts listed in my item descriptions and people ask me about these all the time...they never read anything...I think its getting worse...but its always been there...read my story below

Funny...I used to own video stores....15 years ago...anyhow...I did a study because even at that time...nobody read anything...my weekly specials, etc....I made a BIG sign that said IF YOU READ THIS SIGN YOU GET A FREE VIDEO RENTAL. I placed this sign on the pass through security stalls....you had to duck to go under the sign...out of 100 people...only 2 people read the sign...

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I have always said that ebay could add a check box with the text "By checking this box you acknowledge reading the full description" within the checkout process. You don't check, you can't buy.

But that would make the buyer sad.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

It would make the buyer responsible, and we can't have that now.
Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I sell laserdiscs.  I say laserdiscs in the title.  The item is listed under laserdiscs.  I say will not fit in a dvd player in the title description normally, , I say will not play in DVDs in the description.  I still get this will not fit in my DVD player.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I have been there and done that, and continually having the same issue that buyers ask questions about the item that is already on the listing description. eBay puts advertising which disrupts the flow of the listing and the buyers think that it is the end of the listing.  I received an email from eBay that only 75% of buyers read the item description. I don't agree with this percentage, I think it is around 40% or less. I agree that it waste working time and personal time.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@roaringspring-sportswrote:

I say this all the time..i have shipping and cart discounts listed in my item descriptions and people ask me about these all the time...they never read anything...I think its getting worse...but its always been there...read my story below

Funny...I used to own video stores....15 years ago...anyhow...I did a study because even at that time...nobody read anything...my weekly specials, etc....I made a BIG sign that said IF YOU READ THIS SIGN YOU GET A FREE VIDEO RENTAL. I placed this sign on the pass through security stalls....you had to duck to go under the sign...out of 100 people...only 2 people read the sign...

Scary

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Yes! Our "defect" rate has jumped considerably all of a sudden, and I get a message from eBay offering a tutorial on how to be a better seller! Thank you for addressing the symptom rather than the problem!
Message 30 of 35
latest reply