cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers not reading FULL item description

I am increasingly having to send my full item descriptions in private messages to buyers before and after they buy. (which is difficult as the messaging only gives a limited amout of letters!!!!) As they are not realising that they have to click on the : Read more part of the item description. On their device, phone or app! They are only reading the small amout that is shown by the eBay app that is small mixed up parts of the item description, where the buyers get extremely confused.

Most of my day is taken up by private messaging customers to please click on the READ MORE!!! I have had a number of customers actually admit they didn't know this excisted and where delighted that I took time out to explain this. But I am spending more and more time everyday explaining a fault that I am sure the eBay app could as least make this more CLEAR for the buyer to see. 

It is causing, buyers to complain once item arrives about size of item wrong item ect ect.

Is anyone else out there experiencing the same problems.

Pixy xx

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Buyers not reading FULL item description

People these days are too lazy to be bothered with reading. You really shouldn't have to explain what the "See Full Description" button means. Or you shouldn't have to explain what "Buy Now" means. (I threw that one in there because many buyers think it's agame when they click "buy now" they do not realize that they are not window shopping and they actually have to PAY for what they just bought now.)

Even the policies on eBay go unread by most people. Do you know how many people get tripped up simply because they did not READ, and they create all kinds of havoc for not only themselves, but for their sellers, because they could not be bothered to READ.

eBay cannot force people to use their brains. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@xxpixypainterxxwrote:

I am increasingly having to send my full item descriptions in private messages to buyers before and after they buy.  

It is my understanding that once our listings are compliant with the mobile friendly, active content, etc policy that was put out several months ago, the entire listing shows up without that  'see full description' button.

The same thing was happening to my listings until full compliance with the above criteria.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I am fully compliant (hard work LOL) and you still have to click on "read more" on the phone apps....Gives random partial details unless you click on read more....
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@grannywith6wrote:
I am fully compliant (hard work LOL) and you still have to click on "read more" on the phone apps....Gives random partial details unless you click on read more....

OH! I use an iMac, so didn't know about the phone. Let me check it out while I'm still wearing my PJ's 😄

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I too am PJ compliant

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@grannywith6wrote:

I too am PJ compliant

so many sellers do not realize this is part of the eBay requirement, no wonder they have so many problems 😄

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

My listings are the same as yours fully compliant and fully mobile friendly and yes on the phone apps the customer/buyer still has to click ...read more.

The fault is with the apps, as every app is slightly different depending on make and model of the phone or device. 

Majority of people buying on eBay now use a phone app, the poor pc, windows or mac are rarely used on ebay, where on every listing you look at the full description is there to see... no need to click on anything! 

It would be nice to see if eBay could have a serious look at this app.... item description problem as it only shows mixed up parts of the description. When this first began... there was nothing writen there at all apart from ... Read Description in blue... customer had to click on it to see it. The problem is the mixed up mash of the description that leads the customer/ buyer into complete confustion! 

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

PJ compliant? I'm doing this all wrong!!!
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@plumbingspecialswrote:
PJ compliant? I'm doing this all wrong!!!

😄

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

If your Item description is a couple of lines long... There is no problems at all.

Once you have a long item description, the app randomly selects parts of the description and puts it all together in a little box! Confuses customers /buyers alot 😞 

I am finding that 15 out of 20 never click the read more and just private message me to ask simple questions that would be answered in the full description.... Takes up alot of time... repeating what is in the description in messages...... Whats the point in an item description at all now!!!!!! Haha

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

"Whats the point in an item description at all now!!!!!! Haha"
Exactly. With FREE RETURNS being eBay's latest scam on sellers, buyers do not have to read listings at all because sellers will pay for their mistakes and buyer's remorse returns. I am not opting into that sham. The measly ten percent discount will not cover the cost of return shipping whenever someone changes their feeble mind.

I prefer buyers who take responsibility for their purchases. I'm sure we all would appreciate that a bit more.
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

A very common and annoying problem.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Customers not reading the full description is a real problem.   They look at the title and buy, When they get it and realize its not at all what they wanted instead of being honest and saying they goofed they file not as described and we eat the entire deal. My opinion only, but customers buying with there phone is going to continue to be a problem with all of us here selling because they simply will not read what they are buying. Its bad enough when they use a home computor and will not read the description. This is just another reason that free returns will never work.  Ebay knows this.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

LOL, do you need lessons?
Message 15 of 35
latest reply