cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Don't See Descriptions

I can't believe this hasn't been fixed already because it's been going on for years but buyers are not seeing the product descriptions, particularly on a phone. 

I keep getting these questions that are addressed in the product description constantly.... "Is this a vinyl record or a CD?" when it says CD five or six times throughout the description. 

"What are the dimensions of the boxes?" when I have the dimensions right there clearly stated in the description.

I don't answer these questions because I'm sick of it so I just tell them that that eBay has done a great job of hiding the descriptions and the information is there if they will just look harder. 

I was just blocking everybody that asked a stupid question because I thought they couldn't read.

So eBay how about highlighting the description Link in BRIGHT RED?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyers Don't See Descriptions

I too get messages all the time with questions that can be easily answered by reading the description. This has been going on for years.

It really doesn't matter if ebay "fixes" how listing descriptions are shown to buyers. It won't make buyers actually "read" them.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I clicked on your George Strait CD for sale and see the item description... everything is right there... even that here in September you can't promise it will be to me in time for Christmas

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I agree finding that "description" link isn't that easy.  Some may never even look for that or be willing to click.  I make sure if my item has an issue I put that in condition, which hopefully shows without further clicking.   The only suggestion I offer to you (since ebay isn't interested in changing this) is to possibly make your descriptions read from the left.  I find centered wording more difficult to read and might even need further scrolling on a small device to find.  I don't use a phone to check that.  Those colors might also make some think it's an advertisement and not bother reading.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Sellers have always complained about buyers not reading descriptions...well before widespread use of phones......so I'm not sure it's curable.    Also, at one time there were some buyers who insisted on asking questions to "check out the seller response" in order to help decide whether to buy from them or not. 

How many questions are you getting?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Another thought..........I would put as much info as possible in the TITLE........cd/record, size, etc......looks like you have room in most titles......  i.e. 

Peppa Pig - My First Album

I'm old.......that title makes me think "record".......but in fact it's a CD.....
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

As both a seller and buyer, I noticed an unusual approach lest week. The seller listed the name of the item and followed that with SEE DESCRIPTION FOR MORE DETAILS. Perhaps that it a viable solution to the problem.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@scotchtapeboutique2017 wrote:

I don't answer these questions because I'm sick of it so I just tell them that that eBay has done a great job of hiding the descriptions and the information is there if they will just look harder. 

I was just blocking everybody that asked a stupid question because I thought they couldn't read.

Petulance isn't a strategy.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

A buyer who either doesn't have or refuses to use basic reading comprehension is not something eBay can fix.

What are the phrases?

"You can't fix stupid" ? 

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink"?

I get questions all the time that are answered by the TITLE, not even the description. lol   

Example: "50 NEW LEGO 1x1 Bright Yellow Bricks"

Question variations: "How many pieces does this come with?" "Does this come with 50 or just 1?"

The non-professional answers that go through my head, but never into the reply.... You can imagine.

I use them as opportunities to answer the questions simply and professionally, but add in mentioning the specials I have going, discounts, how to use the shopping car for automatically combining shipping, etc.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@rosszonebricks 

"I use them as opportunities to answer the questions simply and professionally, but add in mentioning the specials I have going, discounts, how to use the shopping car for automatically combining shipping, etc."

I agree with your approach. This is business, not Junior High. Anytime a buyer makes contact---even with a question easily answered from the title---is a BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY. 

Reselling has become incredibly competitive. Many sellers here claim to be struggling with sales, yet when an opportunity presents itself, they don't take advantage of it. A polite, informative answer can lead to a sale. Mentioning related ebay items, or an ongoing sale, etc, can also lead to sale (or more than one sale). 

True, it might not result in a sale, but it generally takes little time (and no money) to respond politely, so the ROI is great if it does lead to a sale.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

yes I did the BULK edit thing one year and it allowed me to put the Xmas timing statement in all of my listings, but then after xmas it wouldn't let me undo that....thanks again ebay.

In the end, I decided to leave the xmas comment in there because even in September, who knows if it will get there by xmas lol.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I want to sell stuff, so it answering "stupid" questions helps, then I answer stupid questions.  Sometimes questions have helped me find an error in my listings or pointed out something I should have mentioned, so I have no issue with receiving a question.  In reality, though, I don't get too many so maybe that's why my tolerance is better.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I just answer them. It's been my experience that even putting things in the Title doesn't help. I've had at least 3 people complain that bottles were empty when it says right in the Title, in caps, holy water not included. 

Descriptions are now hidden under the sponsored ads in the middle of your listing, so I guess it depends on the device they are looking at them on too. They are getting buried. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

neither is wasting time answering questions that are right there in the listing. 

Should we just not bother adding descriptions?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am going to start using it to educate buyers on how to shop on ebay since ebay apparently wants to make it challenging.

I saw one post where the seller was putting a notice in his/her second image on how to find the descriptions on a phone.  I may do something like that, or even place a screen cap of the description in the second image

I got into a nasty fight with a buyer 2 yrs ago because he bought a CD from me, thinking it was vinyl....it was in the CD (not vinyl) category, I mentioned CD throughout the description...still got a buyer blaming ME for his/ebay's shortcomings...

Message 15 of 15
latest reply