cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refunded by EBAY, later received item. Did not pay item nor return item. EBAY on buyers side !

BEWARE SELLERS !!!

This will be the last time selling on ebay.

Ebay sides with buyers and not sellers.

I sent an item to the buyer which was held up and took longer than expected to arrive. Buyer opened a case for refund and was automatically refunded. Item arrived 1 week later with proof of tracking. Contacted buyer which obviously isnt responding since they just got the item for free with the help of ebay. EBAY wont do anything and cant do anything to force buyer to return item or pay for it. So buyer wins. He got the item for FREE and refunded. RIDICULOUS. I have provided ebay with proof it was delivered and responded they cant do anything.

Is it just me or would it be simple for EBAY to ask the buyer to pay since proof was provided that item was delivered and if they dont, just charge the buyer automatically like they did me for the refund ?

I wanted to share my experience with other sellers who might have had something similar happen to them.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Buyer refunded by EBAY, later received item. Did not pay item nor return item. EBAY on buyers side !

@funbuyscanada wrote:

just charge the buyer automatically like they did me for the refund ?

eBay does not have access to the buyer's payment account, and even if they did eBay would not have any legal authority to take money from the buyer. 

I have been a seller here for well over a decade. But if eBay required me to give them permission to access my account as a buyer, I would never buy here again. 

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

I don't understand what type of case the buyer could have filed that would have resulted in an immediate refund.

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

@funbuyscanada wrote:
Not much. 50$
Its a matter of principle. Not money

Maybe I missed it but did eBay force you to refund or did they do a courtesy refund themselves? 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 18 of 64
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Sorry that happened, but Ebay gave the buyer an estimated delivery date.

If the item does not get delivered by that date, the buyer can file an INR to get there money back.

You can try sending an invoice through Pay Pal and see if they will repay.

Nope, can't do that anymore since ebay AND paypal are hiding buyer e-mail addresses. OP has no idea where to send a paypal invoice.

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

Ebay refunded from my credit card. Refunded buyer and closed the case.
Message 20 of 64
latest reply

Yes it is ebay themselves who instructed me to ask buyer to pay via paypal. Below is what was stated in their email to me.

Moreover, if the item gets delivered after some time, you can instruct the buyer to either pay for the item directly through PayPal, or refuse the package so it will be returned to you. Even if the case is already closed, you're still welcome to communicate with the buyer via eBay Messaging
Message 21 of 64
latest reply

@funbuyscanada wrote:

BEWARE SELLERS !!!

This will be the last time selling on ebay.

Ebay sides with buyers and not sellers.

I sent an item to the buyer which was held up and took longer than expected to arrive. Buyer opened a case for refund and was automatically refunded. Item arrived 1 week later with proof of tracking. Contacted buyer which obviously isnt responding since they just got the item for free with the help of ebay. EBAY wont do anything and cant do anything to force buyer to return item or pay for it. So buyer wins. He got the item for FREE and refunded. RIDICULOUS. I have provided ebay with proof it was delivered and responded they cant do anything.

Is it just me or would it be simple for EBAY to ask the buyer to pay since proof was provided that item was delivered and if they dont, just charge the buyer automatically like they did me for the refund ?

I wanted to share my experience with other sellers who might have had something similar happen to them.

I had a similar situation for an international shipment. eBay refunded them and then they received the item soon after. After giving time for the buyer to re-pay or send item back or reply to my messages, none of which they did, I called eBay back and they put the $180 back into my account on their dime.

BUT, I have had other similar cases, just a few over a 10 yr period, where eBay did not give me that courtesy refund. Wouldn't hurt to try.

I wish you Good Luck and Success and Thank U for the heads up.

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

I have not read the replys but yeah...eBay does not give a hoot about you at all.

The same exact thing happened to me and eBay claimed that the "case was closed."

I said that it was only because THEY closed it.

All I got was the "Sorry about that." **bleep**.

This is honestly one of eBay's serious problems.  If anyone ever decides to start a class-action lawsuit against eBay, let me know.  I will jump on board.

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

@funbuyscanada wrote:
Yes it is ebay themselves who instructed me to ask buyer to pay via paypal. Below is what was stated in their email to me.

Moreover, if the item gets delivered after some time, you can instruct the buyer to either pay for the item directly through PayPal, or refuse the package so it will be returned to you. Even if the case is already closed, you're still welcome to communicate with the buyer via eBay Messaging

Then forget about ebay. If the ebay case is now closed, go straight to Paypal and open a case, and provide proof of delivery.

You should get the funds back in this case.

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@funbuyscanada wrote:

Then forget about ebay. If the ebay case is now closed, go straight to Paypal and open a case, and provide proof of delivery.

You should get the funds back in this case.

How would a seller open a case on PayPal against a buyer??????

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

Nope, can't do that anymore since ebay AND paypal are hiding buyer e-mail addresses. OP has no idea where to send a paypal invoice.

You can still get their email from a couple places on Ebay.

My solds are still showing their email address's.

Have a great day
Message 26 of 64
latest reply

Just wondering in a case like this where a seller see's that a buyer gets a refund for an item that's in limbo somewhere, couldn't seller call USPS and have the package intercepted so it would go back to seller since buyer had already gotten their money back? I know they charge for this but at least a seller "if" USPS would allow "interception," of package they'd have had back an item to resell and been able to recoup at least some of their money, minus shipping,Ebay fee's paid & interception USPS fee.  

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

@purple-rain-store wrote:

Just wondering in a case like this where a seller see's that a buyer gets a refund for an item that's in limbo somewhere, couldn't seller call USPS and have the package intercepted so it would go back to seller since buyer had already gotten their money back? I know they charge for this but at least a seller "if" USPS would allow "interception," of package they'd have had back an item to resell and been able to recoup at least some of their money, minus shipping,Ebay fee's paid & interception USPS fee.  

Yes the seller can try to intercept for a fee but it’s never a guarantee that the intercept will be successful. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 28 of 64
latest reply

There isn't any reason why ebay can't wait until the same amount of time the carrier allows for lost packages to refund the buyer if the package was scanned as accepted and in transit to the proper destination.

That would be the fair thing to do.

RE: I sent an item to the buyer which was held up and took longer than expected to arrive.

Was this a Domestic or International purchase that took longer to arrive?
Message 30 of 64
latest reply