cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Violated MBG - E-Bay still sides with Buyer? Why?

Buyer buys.

Buyer evidently changes mind - told e-Bay found cheaper. 

Parcel shipped same day as order/payment.  Arrives in 2 days, Buyer refuses parcel at Delivery.

Buyer wants full refund.  MBG says it is voided by Buyer refusal of parcel at delivery.

We reached out to e-Bay CS on social media.  They indicate we are to refund and it does not void MBG. 

Why not?  It is in written policy it does. 

Why do we owe Buyer a full refund??

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 185
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 I'm not sure why that information was given either, it may be best for the OP to reach out to eBay for Business so they can take a deep dive to help and make sure there's proper coaching in place for the agent, if wrong info was given. 

jasmen@ebay 

I believe that is where they were told to process the request for return.

So to be really clear here, in the situation of the OP of this thread, not any of the posters.  But specifically the OP of this thread.

The refusal of the package for the reason they didn't want it, the buyer voids their buyer protection under the MBG.  And because of that the seller is not required by Ebay to refund the buyer, however it really is the right thing to do less any costs the seller can't recover.  Is this correct?

As to the Buyer's Remorse request, the seller should have been able to contact Ebay and have the request closed out because the buyer had lost their protection under the MBG on this transaction due to the refusal of the package.  Is this also correct?

I'm just trying to be crystal clear here.  This is the advice I gave since the beginning of this thread and I just want to back sure I'm either right or I'm wrong and need to adjust my thinking as well as advice.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 145 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

I don't think you should refund the shipping.  I think there needs to a point where someone (ebay staff???) says, you paid to ship in good faith, there is no reason why you should refund money that you've paid out to do your job.  They don't want it?  Then refund the cost when it returns.   Fair is fair and that rule is not fair.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 185
latest reply

@katzrul15 

What is your stated return policy?

Has buyer actually filed a claim under ebay's Money Back Guarantee?

Message 3 of 185
latest reply

Buyer pays, 30 days.  Yes they filed.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 4 of 185
latest reply

Why have the written policy if e-Bay will not follow it or enforce it?

What is the point of the written policy?

Posting ID Only.......
Message 5 of 185
latest reply

If you have the opportunity, appeal eBay's decision.

Message 6 of 185
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

If you have the opportunity, appeal eBay's decision.

Not at that juncture currently - have 2 days to respond.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 7 of 185
latest reply

@katzrul15  

So, you have a 30 day return policy, which means buyer can return for ANY reason (including a remorse reason, such as "found it cheaper".) So, you must accept the return, since it is within your 30 day framework. The reason given is a remorse return reason...are you saying the buyer filed an INR or an INAD? Or did he just file for a return under your 30 day policy?

If this was brought under your policy, it is not really a MBG return.

Message 8 of 185
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.

I don't understand either.

Hopefully another round with ebay CS and you will be to straighten this out. 

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 185
latest reply

If the buyer has actually filed a case with eBay accept the return and be glad the buyer refused the shipment since there is no cost for the return postage. You should not need to create or issue a return shipping label and may have to work with CS on this. Once you have the item back refund the buyer you may have an argument regarding not refunding the original shipping cost but not sure what the cost was and how much your time is worth to you to fight the battle. 

One thing for sure add the individual to your BBL. 

Message 10 of 185
latest reply

I started a notepad file of my returns and found that 0.294% of my yearly revenue is a loss for the outgoing and return postage of returns.

Adding to this file has put things into perspective and I am an awful lot less resentful and irate about returns than before keeping the records. The buyer didn't rip me off for $53.37 dollars. I was able to resell the merchandise to another buyer and my actual loss was $3.37 in postage.

Is the eBay policy fair? Since I can't change it, I don't worry about that so much nowadays. I have bigger fish to fry.

Message 11 of 185
latest reply

@katzrul15  In case I was not clear:

The rule you mention refers ONLY to MBG cases: Item Not As Described and Item Not  Received cases. So, if this return is through your stated Return Policy, MBG does NOT come into play. Since this appears to be a remorse return, NOT an INAD or INR, it seems to be through your return policy.

By refusing delivery, the buyer has saved the expense of return postage, so return postage is not an issue.

Assuming the item is returned in the same condition as it was sent, you need to refund per your own Return Policy. 

Message 12 of 185
latest reply

We shipped our parcel UPS ground due to heavy oversized parcel.

It was expensive to ship and we as a Seller complied with shipping quickly per e-Bay.

This is not a $5 shipping charge and not something a seller can just build in to the next sale.

This is wrong on so many levels and penalizing to a Seller.  It also does not fall into the TRS definition to withold up to 50% as that is tied to item condition only per e-Bay.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 13 of 185
latest reply

@katzrul15  Again, was this filed as an INR or an INAD?

IF it was NOT, you need to accept reality here: The rule you are talking about does NOT apply to your situation, it ONLY applies if this was filed as an INAD or an INR. 

Message 14 of 185
latest reply

If the buyer filed using the reason "found cheaper", then it is a remorse return and not a MBG return so, you won't have to refund the initial shipping ---unless it was free shipping initially.    I'm curious, does UPS ground get returned on refused items for free?

oops-- I see my cottage already went over this.

Message 15 of 185
latest reply