cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to NOT get scammed?

I don’t sell on eBay often , but when I do , it is normally photo equipment with $500 plus  value. 
I am getting lots to do f dodgy messages asking me to : pls rush the shipping , ship to my mothers address , I just bought a house and my address changed , etc . I know these are most provably scammer.

what is the best way to protect myself as an eBay seller? Can someone send me a payment and then pretend they never received my package ? Would I have to return the money ? 
Any comments would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Best way to NOT get scammed?

There is a lot of great advice on here...I'm just gonna add a few more things I have learned along the way.  If you have a store you can go to "Buyer Management" and block bidders with low feedback from buying your item.  I've attached a picture.  You can set it for people with say, 20 feedback or better can buy your item.  I've found that people with 20+ 99 times out of 100 are good buyers and know what they're doing and won't scam you.

Now, if you can't do that, when someone purchases your item and say they have a "0" feedback or a low feedback, or haven't made a purchase in a year or something, I will reach out to the buyer via DM and make sure that their account hasn't been compromised (which has happened to me before).

Also take a lot of pictures including serial numbers and such and include them in the listing.  This will also deter scammers.

Hope this helps...

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 9.32.46 AM.png

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

With such a limited selling history and low feedback you should not be selling expensive camera items on Ebay as they rate fairly high on the scam likelihood scale.  The only way to protect yourself is not to list these items on Ebay but to sell locally at about 20% below your Ebay asking prices, which is what you would net after Ebay fees.  The four items you sold last week, you will be lucky to keep the proceeds of just one of those items.

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

@espresso_warehouse wrote:

First of all, be careful of what advice you take here. There are a number of accounts that are advocating sellers act against their best interests.

Spending a little time on these boards it is blatantly obvious that some discussions are not organic in nature.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Well, first of all I see alot of negative unproductive post from member here to the op's post. It is none of my business what the others say, but I skim through. I would say list all your coins at buy it now, and try to sell them. Just wait for item to reach the buyer and save the cash in case of returns. If you like eBay, and you have faith in it, then you should feel comfy, and only mail to the address on the order. Good luck, I have a bunch of really oldy coin and although I am motivated to write you here, I can not seem to find the interest to list them, all silver quarters, and those pennies they say are worth a million? Got a whole coffee can of those worthless things.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:
Sad but true here. And yea, I totally forgot about the Credit Card Chargebacks. But to be clear, this is true for any online selling channel, not just ebay. Heck it's even true when you have your own physical store.

Any place that use credit cards as their main payment option.

In Norway we have this service called Vipps which is free to use, instant transfers between bank accounts and tied to your identity.. non-refundable. It is way less stress selling on platform where reputation and trust is all that matters.. unthinkable for some it seems.

"Why would i use blablablablabla when somebody can just blablabla" Well, it is the main payment option on the largest classified site here and i've done hundreds of transactions, never once got scammed or gotten any complaints.. strange how that works out. Heck i even send lots of the packages without tracking.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

No, I don't believe I do know exactly what you are talking about.

Furthermore, I (and probably hundreds of others) resent your implication.  

Argumentum ad-populum.

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

If you have a store you can go to "Buyer Management" and block bidders with low feedback from buying your item. I've attached a picture. You can set it for people with say, 20 feedback or better can buy your item.

You do not need a store to be able to use those settings, but the feedback limit shown only applies to users buying more than one item at a time; you cannot use that to automatically block a low-feedback user from making a single purchase. Note how that line is indented from the setting immediately above indicating that it only applies to buyers buying more than a certain number of items in ten days.

eBay provides no way to block users with feedback below a certain number from making an initial purchase, other than those with negative feedback number totals -- which is a holdover from when buyers could actually receive negative feedback.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

On all my addresses I add the four-code zip code extension. For example: 70150-0123. I do not know if that really helps… I think it may especially for Sellers/ Buyers that try and send a purchased item for  a return and also Selling so people can’t say I got the item and a empty envelope with nothing in it.  envelope was sent back instead of the product OR as a Buyer, a shady seller tries to send me an envelope instead of a product. 

I imagine the Seller/Buyer can remove the 4 digits, although I HOPE this will protect me! I don’t know WHY eBay does not require the extra 4 digits on all addresses on eBay… maybe the make too much money by not adding it! 
😵💫

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

@blueapples_22 wrote:

There is a lot of great advice on here...I'm just gonna add a few more things I have learned along the way.  If you have a store you can go to "Buyer Management" and block bidders with low feedback from buying your item.  I've attached a picture.  You can set it for people with say, 20 feedback or better can buy your item.  I've found that people with 20+ 99 times out of 100 are good buyers and know what they're doing and won't scam you.

Now, if you can't do that, when someone purchases your item and say they have a "0" feedback or a low feedback, or haven't made a purchase in a year or something, I will reach out to the buyer via DM and make sure that their account hasn't been compromised (which has happened to me before).

Also take a lot of pictures including serial numbers and such and include them in the listing.  This will also deter scammers.

Hope this helps...

All you are doing if you tick that box you have circled [only set this requirement to block buyers with a feedback score....] is actually voiding the above 3 rulings you wanted to set - so in effect you have not set any blocks at all for above 5 FB members

Zero feedback members can NOT be blocked on eBay unless you add them manually to your BBL.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 24 of 41
latest reply

First of all, be careful of what advice you take here. There are a number of accounts that are advocating sellers act against their best interests. A lot of excuses made, but not every poster is motivated to actually help you, in fact most posters are doing the opposite.

What a weird thing to say.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 25 of 41
latest reply

@artdiablo 

Best way to not get scammed, don't sell it on the Internet.

Sell it local for cash.

Have a great day
Message 26 of 41
latest reply

@blueapples_22 wrote:

Hope this helps...

That does not block buyer with no or low feedback.

That keeps buyers with no or low feedback from being able to buy from you again within a certain period.

Have a great day
Message 27 of 41
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

First of all, be careful of what advice you take here. There are a number of accounts that are advocating sellers act against their best interests. A lot of excuses made, but not every poster is motivated to actually help you, in fact most posters are doing the opposite.

What a weird thing to say.

Correct. I have no idea why someone would "intentionally" mislead an OP as the poster suggests. Maybe the person can return and explain the benefit a person would have for doing such a thing.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@artdiablo 

Best way to not get scammed, don't sell it on the Internet.

Sell it local for cash.

And bring a counterfeit cash pen with you 🙂

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

I sold several $K worth of used Nikon equip several years ago without any problems.  In addition to all the already spot-on suggestions, if someone messaged me and ask a stupid question or make a lame comment, I wouldn't respond I'd just block them from bidding and contacting me again.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply