cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee by GIA

Ridiculous:  The GIA killed a $2500 sale  for the ring size measuring 1/4 size off

along with their evaluation of my diamonds not passing their standards

By the way I am a GIA Gemologist    Good Luck Sellers

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So now you found out what that GIA is worth eh.....

Opinions opinions.... that is what a lot of this will be about.

And a 1/4 size kicked?? Oh boy.....

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

So now you found out what that GIA is worth eh.....

Opinions opinions.... that is what a lot of this will be about.

And a 1/4 size kicked?? Oh boy.....

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

It isn't right that "authentication" trumps buyer choice! Someone else suggested that if an item fails "authentication", it should still be sent on to the buyer with the authentication included as an FYI and basis for SNAD if the buyer is actually dissatisfied. 

I believe fine jewelry items are sold on eBay at huge discounts that compensate buyers for the lack of appraisal or expert opinions. People want the jewelry, not the appraisal.

It seems to me that jewelry authentication was a PLOY

a) an excuse for eBay to charge all jewelry sellers a higher fee.

b) desperate way to encourage more once-in-a-lifetime, high priced jewelry sales by private individuals who are otherwise scared off by the possibility of being ripped off in the eBay return process.

This is the opposite of the kiss principle. How about just simplifying returns so that honest sellers can refuse refunds for dishonest buyers.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

As the friend of a seller I have heard the details of this issue. Let me just say as a consumer, I want to buy what I want when I want it. Real, fake or otherwise, I want to decide my purchases. I have seen 100% returns recently to my friends business and it is destroying the business right along with him. I see no logic to this arrangement except that eBay and GIA stand to profit from it. This program is ridiculous and needs to end now. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I want to OPT OUT of that Authenticity Guarantee Program.
It doesn't work for either one of us. I sell second hand jewellery
that is graded by opinion, I graduated from the "GIA" and their
opinion and mine vary slightly. It kills the sale and the client still
buys the item, I think i should have the right to opt out, I have perfect
feedback, offer a money back guarantee and i have been selling for 23+ years
on e bay.Based on my sales and returns i am positive e bay is loosing
millions of dollars weekly, If you have bad sellers then require it with them.
But i am a GIA graduate gemologist with all the same gold testing and Diamond
testing equipment and my opinion should matter as id does in a court of law and with all insurance companies, My sales are down, as yours are and i am listing far less items because of this unfair policy. If my buyer
wants to get it checked let them do it on their own.It is free anywhere.
Besides, we include a Gemologist's appraisal with every purchase. Furthermore
it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get your new purchase, That makes buyers angry!
Michael Azzarella "Penoriss"

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

This seems to be a trend with most of eBay's authentication programs. The sneaker one has been worse than most. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I agree, I just got hit with my first ebay guaranteed authentic item

I sold a 18k 750 gold ruby and diamond ring

Today same day the authenticator received the ring they said the ring didnt pass the authentification.

Opened case, closed case refunded buyer and sending item all back to me.

Didnt even give me a chance to correct mistake.

I do not know if the buyer was involved or not but the messages they sent me sounded like it was up to buyer if item would be returned or not?

I have so many questions on this program?

The ring I sold  (eBay item number:394576058366)  had 

13 Natural OVAL RUBY GEMSTONES!
EACH RUBY IS 3MM BY 4MM OVAL!
.24 CARAT EACH RUBY!
ESTIMATING 3.12 CARAT TOTAL RUBY WEIGHT 
Also Had 
14 NATURAL DIAMOND ROUNDS!
DIAMONDS ARE 2MM EACH!
.03 CARAT EACH DIAMOND!
ESTIMATING AROUND .42 CARAT TOTAL DIAMOND WEIGHT!
Authenticator said nothing wrong with the rubies!!
My item failed authentification because .42ctw diamonds was wrong below is email sent to me

We wanted to let you know that the condition of your item does not match the listing description. As a result, the order can’t be fulfilled.

Here are the notes from the authenticator about your item:

• The total carat weight of the main/side diamond(s) does not match the listing.

Seems totally unfair so ,many questions

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@mickroid ,

How’s this unfair when you misrepresented the weight of the stones in the listing. If A buyer paid for x carats they should receive x carats.

Seems logical to me. What am I missing?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Thats true I suppose.

These diamonds were more or less just accents, I measured them 2mm each but they must have been 1.75mm. In my book that wouldn't really be much of a difference since diamonds are so small anyway.

Thing ring has $430 dollar gold value . also had 3.12ctw natural rubies . Buyer paid $500 for the ring so they actually got the ring at a good price . Missing the point of what the ring would have cost from anywhere else like a jewelry store

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

GIA killed a sale of mine too.  14 accent diamonds I measured as 2mm each they said was incorrect. I stated .42ctw H color and vs2 clarity. Authenticator said nothing about the clarity and color just carat total weight was wrong. I believe the diamonds couldnt be less than 1.75mm each is that enough difference to reject authentification? Seems little tough. Ring Also had 13 .24carat natural rubies which I stated as 3.12ctw. Ring is 750 18k gold weigh's 8.9 grams, $430 in gold value sold for $502. Good deal I would think no matter if diamonds are 1.75mm or 2mm?  Do the buyers reject the items if not authenticated or does authenticator just automatically refund and send back?  Do I resale ring?  Did you resale your ring after not authenticated?

As you stated good luck.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

So, it would seem more logical for the seller to send the items to the authenticator FIRST. THEN LIST THE ITEMS FOR SALE. That would speed up the process for the buyer and because, THEIR opinion is always the correct one. The seller and the buyer are loosing sales and items they want because  of this.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

If many are getting opted into this program with ZERO experience measure it a diamond etc etc. Of course the rejection rate will be high. Then you have tons and tons of listing for sale that will be NO SALES.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Problem though as the authenticator would have to hold the jewelry/store it till listed sold etc.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Just like the vault for trading cards.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Not a bad idea but it couldn't work like you say it should. The authenticator could certify the diamond but then they would either have to hold onto it and wait for a buyer or send it back to you. If they held onto it, they would be responsible for loss in storage and fulfilling the order whenever it came. They aren't going to store and insure your  jewelry for free, so expect to pay fees like those for Fulfilled by Amazon. Otherwise, they could return the jewelry to you but then you would have to send it back to them for reauthentication. Otherwise, unscrupulous sellers could get the jewelry certified and substitute fakes when it came time to fulfill a sale. Worse yet, grading gemstones is subject to some uncertainty. The certifiers would lose whatever credibility they had if they were too frequently grading the jewelry different upon resumbission.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply