cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee by GIA

Ridiculous:  The GIA killed a $2500 sale  for the ring size measuring 1/4 size off

along with their evaluation of my diamonds not passing their standards

By the way I am a GIA Gemologist    Good Luck Sellers

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

My Authenticity Gurantee woes:  I sold a 14K gold necklace.  I shipped it to the Authenticators.  Authenticators authenticated it, and shipped it out FedEX to the buyer.  I noticed that the item was supposed to be delivered, so I messaged the buyer and reminded them that someone needed to be home to sign for the package (Signature required remember!).  Buyer messaged me the following day stating the item never arrived, and they had taken time off of work to receive it, and was asking me to change the delivery to their work address (they work for a bank) and gives me the address, because they couldn't take more time off work.  The tracking is rediculously weird.. so I called customer service.  Customer Service told me to have the buyer contact them, and they could work with the buyer and the Authenticators to get the package to the buyer.  So I told the buyer that and also encourage buyer to see if she can pick it up from a fedex store/location.  Buyer calls customer service, and customer service tells them that they have to contact me, the seller, because the seller selected the shipping service....  UMMM NO!   The Authenticators shipped the item, and it's coming from the Authenticators and they are the ones that are shipping the item and selecting the fedex service!   So I call customer service again, and they put me in touch with the Authenticators, and the Authenticators tell me I can't give them the address to redirect the package to, it has to be the buyer!  Authenticator states the buyer must contact them.  I ask the Authenticator for the phone number to give to the buyer, Authenticator states, no buyer must contact customer service, and have customer service transfer them to Authentication Department!   So I tell the buyer all of this, and she says.... I have already called numberous times, it's up to you now, I'm not doing any more.... if they don't get it to me where I can sign for it, it will just be sent back to you!   I told her no..... it goes back to the Authenticators and again ask her to contact them, and I again suggest she try and arrange a pickup at her own convenience.   The infurating part of this is.... I accepted a best offer on this necklace.... and after all the final value fees and boosted listing fees.... I am making $40.00 more than I would have made just scrapping it.  I swear to everything I hold dear, if I end up with this necklace as a return, I'm am going to go nuclear.  This is REDICULOUS!!!

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@mycheaperstuff wrote:

How about just simplifying returns so that honest sellers can refuse refunds for dishonest buyers.

How *exactly* would eBay determine who is honest and who is dishonest in a he-said, she-said situation?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@mickroid wrote:

I measured them 2mm each but they must have been 1.75mm

In my book that wouldn't really be much of a difference

The authentication report specifically said it was the carat weight, not the dimension, that was inaccurate.

But that aside ..

I have no idea how gemologists measure stones, but isn't there something similar to a micrometer that would give an accurate measurement?

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

When you sell a ring with the stones already perfectly set into the mounting, especially an antique or vintage mounting, it’s impossible 

to 100% know the exact carat weight like you would with loose stones you just easily put onto a scale to weight them.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

That is ridiculous I here you

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply