cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appealing Case Decided by eBay

I am the Seller, in the process of appealing an Item Not Received Money Back Guarantee case. The basis of my appeal is that the buyer is NOT covered by the MBG because this was a Local Pickup Only listing and the buyer did not pick up the item or have someone else pick it up for them. It clearly states in eBay policy that such cases are not covered by the MBG. I called eBay this morning and filed an appeal because there is no direct option to appeal in writing from within my eBay account. So my question is, is filing an appeal by phone the only way to file an appeal? 

Message 1 of 145
latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

Re: Appealing Case Decided by eBay

Ebay finally gave up and refunded because they just could not stand all the whining  !@

Message 136 of 145
latest reply

@pokal53 wrote:

@selex-tek wrote:

Wrong. Appeal granted. Im receiving a full refund. 

That's good, just remember who is paying for that because they're not taking it back out of the buyer's pocket. It's a courtesy refund,

Correct. I cannot believe people can list local pick up, keep the item and get the cash back from Ebay making all other sellers pay for it. Hopefully Ebay catches on to this scam and stops the courtesy refunds like this.

Message 137 of 145
latest reply

I cannot believe people can buy something local pick up only, and then expect to not have to pick it up.  That's a special kind of stupid.  But, sadly, that's what our society has become - expecting everybody to protect the dumb and helpless.

Message 138 of 145
latest reply

@jobs-7 

Yes it is a sad day in today's society when a seller can take a person's money, keep the item, and tell them to get lost. Thank goodness for Ebay's money back guarantee.

Message 139 of 145
latest reply

Here is the current policy on Seller Protection for Managed Payments sellers (like OP) at this time (12/22/2020). (Sellers who are not in Managed Payments are covered by PayPal Seller Protection, which has different rules.)

In order to have Seller Protection in this situation (an Item Not Received case for a local-pickup item), the seller has to provide documentation of two points:

1. validation of the identity of the person making the pickup,
  2. and, proof of pickup

This policy makes it clear that proof of pickup is required, in addition to verifying the identity of the person making the pickup, in order for a seller to be protected by Seller Protection (for eBay to cover the amount of the dispute and waive the fee).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes?id=4799

image.png

This policy is consistent with the Money Back Guarantee policy (as of 12/22/2020) which OP used as the basis for her claim that the buyer was not covered by the Money Back Guarantee. This snip includes the three scenarios that apply for local pickup transactions:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

image.png

image.png

image.png

OP's interpretation of the first scenario was that: if the "item wasn't collected", that would be enough by itself to comply with this scenario and make the transaction be not covered by MBG. But that isn't what it actually says. The scenario goes on to say: if the "item wasn't collected by, or on behalf of, the buyer", and it is reasonable that the whole scenario would have to apply in order for the transaction to be not covered by MBG, not just the first part of the scenario. So an item would have to have been picked up by someone other than the buyer or on their behalf for this scenario to apply, in which case this scenario is similar to the 3rd scenario (courier pickup) but could be applied to other situations than courier pickup, their own shipping method, or freight delivery.

This implies that a local pickup item that was not picked up does not comply with the first scenario, and is covered by MBG because it doesn't comply with any of the 3 scenarios that are listed (for local pickup items) which would would have made the transaction "not covered".

The wording in the other sections, mentioning "evidence of ... proof of collection by the buyer" and "if ... the item wasn't successfully ... collected" make it clear that an item that was not picked up or collected, is covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Message 140 of 145
latest reply

Hello, I am glad that you were able to resolve this problem. Could you please tell me how you submitted your appeal?

Someone else posted this link above: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item... but when I follow the instructions, there is no option for instruction "4. Select See details and then send us an appeal." I contacted ebay by email but am concerned by others in this forum reporting that their emails go unanswered. 

I shipped items to a buyer by Priority Mail, but the package wasn't delivered for over a month. I can understand why that would be frustrating and worrisome for the buyer. I no longer trust USPS. The buyer opened a case against me and was refunded, but then the package was delivered a few days later. Ebay now shows it as delivered, but also still shows that the buyer was refunded. Fortunately, I have a tracking number and also had added signature at delivery, I just don't know the correct way to make the appeal since following ebay's instructions doesn't work. I contacted the buyer to request that payment be made since the package was now delivered. I had opened a case against USPS, but now that the package was delivered, the case was closed. I obviously can't make an insurance claim on a package that was delivered.

I hope that the actions that I have already taken will resolve this case, but from what I have read in this forum, it's not a guarantee. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Message 141 of 145
latest reply

@flossie_79 

Your situation is different and it may be possible for you to get your $$ back since the item shows delivered. Try Ebay on facebook as that is where they normally can help sellers. The case you are responding to is different as that seller scammed the buyer and purposely kept both the item and the cash.

Message 142 of 145
latest reply

@selex-tek wrote:

Im sorry but youre mistaken. I suggest you re-read the policy. Ebay granted my appeal. Reason - Buyer not covered under money back guarantee on an INR case where the item was local pickup only. 

@selex-tek I don’t believe eBay granted your appeal. I hope they didn’t. I have been on eBay since 1999.... seller account....and as a seller I would never not cancel a transaction if I hadn’t already shipped the item or as in your case the buyer was unable to pick it up. Regardless, if I were the powers-that-be at eBay, I would chew your righteous, self-centered, litigious self up and spit you out to the local flea market where you belong. You give sellers on eBay a bad name. You bring eBay down. You are the perfect example of why some won’t buy here. Disgusting. 

Message 143 of 145
latest reply

Thank you for suggesting Facebook! I fortunately heard back from ebay after sending my details to their "Contact us" email, and my case has now been resolved (hopefully...payment is expected to be in my PayPal account within the next day or so).

I understand that my case is different, I was just hoping for suggestions on where to send the appeal. Thankfully my appeal did end up going to the right place. I don't sell things very often, but this experience has made me skittish to sell in the future.

I don't necessarily agree that the seller in this thread scammed the buyer. Obviously, we don't have all of the details, but I can understand how frustrating it would be to repeatedly have people buy items for local pickup and then ask to have them shipped. I have used local apps to sell things, and it's bad enough to have people ask you to hold an item, never show up when they say they will, etc.

Again, thank you for your response!! I'm glad I won't need to resort to Facebook.

Message 144 of 145
latest reply

@selex-tek wrote:

I am the Seller, in the process of appealing an Item Not Received Money Back Guarantee case. The basis of my appeal is that the buyer is NOT covered by the MBG because this was a Local Pickup Only listing and the buyer did not pick up the item or have someone else pick it up for them. It clearly states in eBay policy that such cases are not covered by the MBG. I called eBay this morning and filed an appeal because there is no direct option to appeal in writing from within my eBay account. So my question is, is filing an appeal by phone the only way to file an appeal? 

If you have a local pick up item and the buyer didn't pick it up, why do you think you're entitled to keep their money?

C.

Message 145 of 145
latest reply