cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you thought 4% extra on final value fees wait till you hear what eBay just told me

I fell to below standard on eBay due to a neg I got for not having something in stock.  I called eBay to find out if I was paying the extra 4% and not only was I paying the 4% eBay was actually charging me 5% extra.  I kept asking the guy why eBay didn’t tell sellers about the extra 1%, he couldn’t give me a straight answer.  I asked him if I was something special or did they do this to all sellers, he didn’t seem able to give me an answer.  Amazon seems to be changing the long standing eBay practices in order to get even more money from the sellers. 

Some may say but "isn’t that better then kicking you off for being below standard?" but really it just has the same affect.  At this point I see little reason to stay.  Fortunately I am retired and don’t need the money.  Perhaps I will look into other sites other than eBay but right now I am so disgusted by the whole thing I have had it.

It will be interested to see how long this post lasts on the eBay boards.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

If you thought 4% extra on final value fees wait till you hear what eBay just told me

Changed from 4% to 5% months ago.

Neg did not cause that. The out of stock cancellation defect caused that.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I don't know why you thought the penalty rate was 4%.  The rate is 5%. Scroll down to the section on "Sellers not meeting performance expectations":

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364#section8

If your account doesn't meet our minimum seller performance standards for the US in the evaluation on the 20th of the month, you'll be charged an additional 5% on the standard final value fees applicable to sales in the following calendar month. Go to your Seller Dashboard to check your current seller level. This fee does not apply to Above Standard and eBay Top-rated Sellers

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@elvisrocks2004 wrote:

I fell to below standard on eBay due to a neg I got for not having something in stock.  I called eBay to find out if I was paying the extra 4% and not only was I paying the 4% eBay was actually charging me 5% extra.  I kept asking the guy why eBay didn’t tell sellers about the extra 1%, he couldn’t give me a straight answer.  I asked him if I was something special or did they do this to all sellers, he didn’t seem able to give me an answer.  

They told sellers in early 2019.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html#fvf-cap

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I fell to below standard on eBay due to a neg I got for not having something in stock.

It wasn't the negative you received that dropped you, it was likely the cancelling with the out-of-stock option. Seller-initiated cancellations can carry the major defect penalty, not Feedback which no longer counts against a seller’s metrics.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@elvisrocks2004 wrote:

<snip>

It will be interesting to see how long your selling account lasts. You also left negative comments under a positive which is clearly against policy on this platform. I'm afraid it seems you are breaking several different policies, and not current on seller updates, so not much wonder why your account has fallen below standard. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

If you're retired as you say and it is just a hobby why not just end all your more expensive items until the next month passes and relist them when the penalty charge of 5% ends?  You could put your account on vacation until you cool down.  Life is too short to let something as benign as a mistake on ebay raise your B.P.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@elvisrocks2004 wrote:

Your post will remain here, because your post is not nearly as "dangerous" to eBay as you fantasize that it is. 

The mundane truth seems to be that you simply weren't paying attention to eBay's announcements. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

And on top of that, we can't even leave negative feedback now....

couldn't resist 🙂😠😈

VintageCarMagazines

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

You had more than one defect to get the extra fees

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

If you're retired as you say and it is just a hobby why not just end all your more expensive items until the next month passes and relist them when the penalty charge of 5% ends?  You could put your account on vacation until you cool down.  Life is too short to let something as benign as a mistake on ebay raise your B.P.

Putting the account on vacation is not going to clear a "below standard" rating.

As I understand it, more good transactions need to be made to get the total  # of sales back up, so that the # of defects, compared to the total sales gets the seller out of below standard .

Go on vacation, and as the good sales sage off, the defect %age gets worse.

Seller  needs to list some "quick sell items" to get the count back up.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Exactly

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Is there anywhere that explains how the Transaction Defect Rate will cause your Performance Level to drop? Specifically how many Defects before your Performance Level drops and does a Defect drop off after a period of time?

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Is there anywhere that explains how the Transaction Defect Rate will cause your Performance Level to drop? Specifically how many Defects before your Performance Level drops and does a Defect drop off after a period of time?

@stephenmorgan 

Reading these pages may answer some of your questions:

Seller performance standards 

Defect Removal 

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Defects are found on your Seller Dashboard.  That is a report every seller should check at a very minimum once per week.  Each section will give you the details of any defects you have in those areas and it gives you the thresholds for each type of defect.  Lots of info there and it should be a report we are all very familiar with for the health of our selling accounts.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 27
latest reply