cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appealing Case Decided by eBay

I am the Seller, in the process of appealing an Item Not Received Money Back Guarantee case. The basis of my appeal is that the buyer is NOT covered by the MBG because this was a Local Pickup Only listing and the buyer did not pick up the item or have someone else pick it up for them. It clearly states in eBay policy that such cases are not covered by the MBG. I called eBay this morning and filed an appeal because there is no direct option to appeal in writing from within my eBay account. So my question is, is filing an appeal by phone the only way to file an appeal? 

Message 1 of 145
latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

So you got paid and they didn't pick it up and now you don't want to give them a refund?

Message 2 of 145
latest reply

I'm going to guess the devs finally closed that little loophole.

Message 3 of 145
latest reply

Not sure how you called them when they no longer have a valid phone number. What number did you use.

Message 4 of 145
latest reply

You can't have both the item and the money. 

Message 5 of 145
latest reply

There is nothing to appeal. You do not get to keep a person's item and their money. Any court in the land would make you give the buyer their money back.

Message 6 of 145
latest reply

Way more complicated than that.

Message 7 of 145
latest reply

Which loophole is that?

Message 8 of 145
latest reply

I simply used the Have Us Call You feature and eBay called me. 

Message 9 of 145
latest reply

I suggest you read the terms of eBay's Money Back Guarantee policy regarding Local Pickup orders and what is, and is not, covered by the Guarantee. I am not in possession of both the item and the payment: I am continuing to store the item on the premises awaiting pick up by the buyer, as stipulated by the terms of the sale. Big difference. 

This particular case is an Item Not Received case for a Local Pickup Only order. The buyer has not picked up their item (or had someone pick it up on their behalf). The buyer purchased the item ( and yes the listing clearly stated it was a Local Pick Up Only) then asked me to ship it to him instead (that in itself is a violation of eBay policy and a reportable offense. I have reported the buyer in that regard). When I refused to ship it, the buyer demanded I cancel the order because it was too far for him to drive. I refused to cancel (after reporting buyer) and buyer then opened a INR case under the eBay Money  Back Guarantee. As noted, eBay Policy clearly states that Local Pickup items not picked by the buyer are not covered by the MBG. (Also, PayPal will not cover INR/ Local Pickup claims). The policy in this regard is not in dispute and I fully expect to win my appeal since eBay policy is clear. My only question is, is calling eBay the only method of filing an appeal? 

Message 10 of 145
latest reply

@selex-tek wrote:

Way more complicated than that.

Most posts are---that's why I asked a question.  I'm not sure about how to appeal a decision, though.   I thought more details might help someone give good advice.

Message 11 of 145
latest reply

@selex-tek wrote:

... the buyer demanded I cancel the order because it was too far for him to drive. I refused to cancel ...

This, right here, is the root of this issue and could have resolved everything in just a few seconds.  It's unfortunately not uncommon that buyers don't read every last word of a listing.  Perhaps they didn't see the local pickup as their only option?   The buyer, even if it was their mistake they didn't see the Local Pickup Only stipulation, is in the right to file an INR after you've *refused* to cancel the order at their request.  

'Cancel at buyers request' results in no ding on your account for cancelling the order.

Message 12 of 145
latest reply

Clearly you do not understand the case, nor are you informed with respect to eBay policy regarding the MBG and what is, and is not, covered under the guarantee. But thanks anyway. 

Message 13 of 145
latest reply

So eBay found for the buyer and refunded??

And you believe you should keep the money and the item?

Thus an appeal you want to do??

Do you know any thing about business law??

If not please find some one who does. That is my advice.

Message 14 of 145
latest reply

Thanks. I'm not confused or unclear about the operative eBay policy in this case. Just wondering, since ebay says a seller can appeal and submit supporting documentation, how can one submit documentation if the only way to appeal is by phone? For my future reference only. 

Message 15 of 145
latest reply